Bottle feeding both formula/milk?

sunshine2014

Reaction score
Hi!

I had planned on strictly formula feeding (for personal reasons), and still think that is my most likely outcome, however I've been wondering about pumping And doing a mix of both formula and breast milk.

Has anyone done this And been successful? I'm worried if I bf, she won't take to formula at all.

I am happy doing formula, but dh would be happy if I tried bf for a bit. Or at least in the hospital so she gets the initial boost from the milk before switching to formula.

Any suggestions? Or success stories?

The colostrum is the best bit so I'd aim to do that at least. I ebf for 4 months then combi fed for a bit before switching to formula. Dyl had no problem switching between bm and formula although it just depends on the baby. Some do get fussy!

My son was on combo from beginning as my milk never fully came in. It was not a problem. I stopped breast at 8 months. This time around, I plan on same thing but wean of breast fast (after few weeks) as I have medical condition that needs treating soon after birth. I have heared stories about kids that don't want breastfeed though, only bottle when offered combo. That can happen too. It is whatever works fr you as well. I bent over backwards last time breastfeeding and it only exhausted me and caused health issues. Every story is different though.

I want to pump for the first week then go to formula so that baby gets that good first bit am Hoping baby will just go along with that but these baby are set to try us lol . My dd wouldn't latch at all and I found pumping very stressful and painful so I think if I can just manage for a week I'll be happy with that

just a little bit of info on colostrum just in case your pumping it and worried your only getting a little bit! babies only need tiny amounts at first about a teaspoon this picture should help

I think it is great to even get the first milk in to baby it is so good for them and anything after that is a bonus as well :flower: :thumbup:

Attachments

• 11811418_1725255394368747_4505846801821153629_n.jpg
    11811418_1725255394368747_4505846801821153629_n.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 16
I tried BF, but failed with both of my boys, eldest would not latch and youngest wasn't getting enough, both had a bit of breast milk, well the first bit anyway. This time i'm not sure if I am even going to try giving BF a go

I plan to do this also, I want to give her the best start and so will bf until there is a flow established and then I will express. I have spoken to my doctor about this and she said 'nipple confusion' is a myth, most babies don't care where they get milk as long as they are being fed. Will double check myself about formulae and bf combo to clarify that it wont confuse her.

DS wouldn't latch so I pumped for the first little while. I did also mix with formula especially at night feeds and there were no issues. I pumped for around 4 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->