Boy babies less affectionate then girls?

Surreal

Me + Little Man = Family.
Reaction score
I was talking with my cousin tonight, as she was holding my little boy. She's had a good relationship with my sister's little girl, and was there and caring for my sister's girl from day one. She's been here since I gave birth to my boy, too, but I've been more hands on and insistent on doing things myself, when my sister was always playing "pass the turkey" with her daughter.

Anyways, tonight we were talking and my cousin randomly brought up the subject of the difference between my niece and my son, along the lines of how when holding my sleeping niece, that she was very peaceful and tranquil, where as with holding my sleeping son, it was just a sensation of "I'm okay." and nothing more.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the statement, other then she was saying that male babies are less affectionate then female babies. I know to a certain extent boys are not so emotional... but, does that mean male babies just don't have that type of relationship and affection with their mothers, that female babies do? :sad1:

I didn't tell her, but... the statement just got me down. I've always wanted a little boy, and been so excited to have one since even before I knew I was having a little boy; just felt like a slap to the face that somehow I'm missing out on what she experienced, and my sister experienced, with a little girl, because I have a little boy... :cry:

Sorry to run on, also venting just a little.. but, is it true that little boys are just not as affectionate, and I'm just not going to have a type of relationship with my son that my sister will have with her daughter? :cry:

Rubbish!

I've actually always heard that boys are more cuddly than girls!

But I think a lot of it depends on the baby, some are more affectionate than others :flower:

nonsense! everyone always tells me boys are much more loving towards their mums than girls are. really, though, i think all babies are different and, boy or girl, they all love their mummies. do you think maybe your cousin is just a bit put out that she doesn't get to do as much for your son as she did for your niece? sounds like it to me :shrug:

codswallop!!

load of crap if anything its "meant" to be the other way round, boys are more cuddly than girls (thats what my mum and grandma say anyway) :roll:

personally i cant see a difference whatsoever :shrug: alfies really funnya actually he doesnt really like to be touched, when my mum strokes his head or tried to hold his hand hell pull away and give her the filthiest look ever :haha: but then other times hes sooo snuggly and will just want to be snuggled in your neck allday.

all babies are different and im sure your little boy its just lovely hun so take no notice!!

:hugs:

<3

My boys are really cuddly and still are!!! My LO though has always hated cuddles and being held!!

From personal experience I've always found girls to be more independant and not so cuddly and boys the more affectionate ones who love being with and ucddling their mummies.

So I've heard/seen/felt the opposite!

i think boys are more cuddly sophia hates being cuddled unless i stand up with her and then she to busy looking around really for cuddles

Rubbish!!

Ive got a boy and a girl and found no difference at all in them as babies,(apart from Jessica is more demanding! lol)

In fact, Id say boys are MORE affectionate, especially as they get older,and especially to their mums...:flower:

Hi,
Well ive got 3 sons, aged 13yrs, 8yrs & 3 weeks. They are all snuggle monsters as we call them (the oldest not so much due to his age) & im quite often found with the baby in 1 arm & my 8year old cuddled into the other. Ive got a great close relationship with them all & the older 2 come to me before even going to their dad regardless of what the reason may be.
sarah

do you think maybe your cousin is just a bit put out that she doesn't get to do as much for your son as she did for your niece? sounds like it to me :shrug:

It's possible, something I was considering too as I insist on being the one taking care of my son. Watching my sister pass her daughter off on other people all the time... well, it's not a parenting style I agree with.

My cousin touts herself to be rather 'in-tune' with babies, though, too. Goes on about how she's always guessed correctly on the gender the baby will be, before the pregnant mother knows.

I found the sentiment a bit flawed,too, as my son is always wanting to be held; I quickly learned to do things one handed around the house! :haha: But with no experience to go by, for girl babies, I feared that maybe she was right...

No way! That is a rather unfair and sweeping statement from your cousin if you ask me.
I have always wanted boys too and everybody I know who has both say boys are more affectionate than their sisters...although girls are easier babies apparently!
But in all honesty, I think each baby is different, people just have different relationships with other peoples children. Your son obviously prefers you!
xxx

No way. My toddler is a cuddle monster,.he's always cuddling me. Get tons of cuddles and kisses from him, he loved being cradled and cuddled as a baby to.

how when holding my sleeping niece, that she was very peaceful and tranquil, where as with holding my sleeping son, it was just a sensation of "I'm okay." and nothing more.

Maybe it's just where you've been more hands on with your son he simply feels more secure than your niece. He's most likely just got a better bond with you than your cousin (and rightly so).

I was a bit put out the other day, my niece is three weeks younger than Archie and when my mum picked her up from nursery she said she got the biggest smile ever and she got so excited kicking her legs and started squealing. When she picked Archie up on Tuesday, she said he wasn't a bit arsed about someone being there to get him, he didn't give her a second glance, he's never got excited when I get there either, doesn't even look at me :haha:

I think its just because he's dead laid back and things the world revolves around him ha x

My little girl doesn't really like her cuddles, whereas my nephew loves it. I've alwas heard that boys are moe affectionate than girls.
Sounds like yor couin isjust a bit jealus that she wasn't allowed to do as much to help with your baby. ignore her.

I think its rubbish to my lil boy is 5months and so affectionate he loves cuddles

I agree! she prob does feel this way as she did more for ur niece than for u lil boy as obv ur his mum and u want to do it.

My lil girl is now 21months old she's sooner give someone a whack than a cuddle.. but if u say awwww to my lil boy he'll lay and cuddle u for aaaages .. he's 10month. from being tiny he always loved cuddling into me to sleep etc whereas my lil girl was the oppisite still wont sleep on anyone only layed by herself. .

Not that im flipping it to boys are more affectionate than girl as my 2nd born is alil girl and was just like my son. I think as adults we have different ays of showing things. some people are touchy/feely some express with words etc.. as a baby i assume they would be the same.. all diff in the way they show their affection and who they show it too.

do you think maybe your cousin is just a bit put out that she doesn't get to do as much for your son as she did for your niece? sounds like it to me :shrug:

It's possible, something I was considering too as I insist on being the one taking care of my son. Watching my sister pass her daughter off on other people all the time... well, it's not a parenting style I agree with.

My cousin touts herself to be rather 'in-tune' with babies, though, too. Goes on about how she's always guessed correctly on the gender the baby will be, before the pregnant mother knows.

I found the sentiment a bit flawed,too, as my son is always wanting to be held; I quickly learned to do things one handed around the house! :haha: But with no experience to go by, for girl babies, I feared that maybe she was right...

Sounds to me more like she is just a bit put out becuse in her head she probably thinks she has bonded more with your neice because all the things she has done for her but thinks she hasnt bonded as much with your son because she didnt get to do these things.

Some people just expect girls to be all loving, affectionate, sweet, soppy and cuddly and for boys to be just boystruss, independant and not needing as many cuddles so they end up not giving as much cuddles because they assume they dont need them.
In short its her problem to get over not yours or your sons.

Iv often found boys to be alot more cuddly, girls are taught and raised to hug and show emotions where as boys generaly arnt so when they do give hugs and kisses you know its genuine and what they realy want to do and not just because they have been told to "play nice"

The bond between mother and daughter will always be different to mother and son because with a daughter you bond through same traits such as being girly with them, showing them about makeup, dressing up, you know what they are going through so you know how to relate with them.
But with a boy its differant, you heart melts when you get a hug and kiss because you know its realy from their heart and not just becuse they are taught it (dont know if im even explaining this well or not) boys will always need their mummys for one thing or another no matter how old where as girls get t the point where they want to dress their own way and be left alone to find their own self

I found it the opposite. My son was a VERY cuddly baby, and still is now at 4 years old :haha: Chloe on the other hand will only have a cuddle on her terms and when she is bored of cuddling she will let you know! She'd rather be having a kick about in her bouncy chair than snuggling with mummy most of the time :cry:

xx

Sounds to me more like she is just a bit put out becuse in her head she probably thinks she has bonded more with your neice because all the things she has done for her but thinks she hasnt bonded as much with your son because she didnt get to do these things.

Some people just expect girls to be all loving, affectionate, sweet, soppy and cuddly and for boys to be just boystruss, independant and not needing as many cuddles so they end up not giving as much cuddles because they assume they dont need them.
In short its her problem to get over not yours or your sons.

Iv often found boys to be alot more cuddly, girls are taught and raised to hug and show emotions where as boys generaly arnt so when they do give hugs and kisses you know its genuine and what they realy want to do and not just because they have been told to "play nice"

The bond between mother and daughter will always be different to mother and son because with a daughter you bond through same traits such as being girly with them, showing them about makeup, dressing up, you know what they are going through so you know how to relate with them.
But with a boy its differant, you heart melts when you get a hug and kiss because you know its realy from their heart and not just becuse they are taught it (dont know if im even explaining this well or not) boys will always need their mummys for one thing or another no matter how old where as girls get t the point where they want to dress their own way and be left alone to find their own self

Completly agree with this :thumbup: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"