Breakfast and after school club in reception

NickyKB

Reaction score
Hi,

My son starts reception in September and I'm having a panic about wrap around care.

I work 3 days a week (long days) at the minute he goes to private nursery and I'd planned to use the breakfast and after school clubs at school but now I'm worried he'll be the only little one there! I've had a look on the local council website and there's not a single childminder listed as doing school pick ups from my son's school (I thought that might help my holiday childcare woes). It's a small school and when I went aroud they prided themselves on good interaction between year groups so I'm hoping the older ones would look out for the younger...

Has anyone else used these in reception and have you had good or bad experiences?

Thanks

I started using it when my son turned 3. There was only ever one or two little ones there but the carers were so good with him, and some of the little girls would take him under their wing. After school all the kids were really loud but I was never worried they would be mean to him. I would pick him up and find him happily playing (usually just by himself) with the cars or something. It's a certain type of child that goes there In my experience that's kind of used to just getting on with it and behaving in that environment.

Eta to be perfectly honest it's not something i would choose to do with such a young child, it's a long day but needs must. My son has never complained and he's safe and looked after there

My son started going at the start of year one, but there's reception kids who go, and they seem to do ok, the ages seem to mix well, those in year 1 and 2 happily play with the reception kids no problem.

Also as it's only 3 days a week you'll be able to do early nights on the 2 your home early.

My son is just finishing reception and goes to breakfast club once a week.There are about 5 other children from his class that go.They do look after the younger ones well.
It's also nice to see him playing with older children he doesn't mix with in school.

We don't use it, but I know of atleast 3 of his friends who do. They must talk holy of it because ds keeps asking me why he can't go. At our school the reception join all the rest of the school, ds knows loads of kids older than him and from what I see they all take care of him. He did use the lunch club for a while and I know he made lots of older friends there.

We know a few kids that go to clubs after school and they mingle fine. I think it's more how tired they are as despite he school day being shorter than nursery it's more intense and I know my son gets SO tired. I'm lucky I can collect him after school ends and I know he is exhausted some days.

But I LOVE the way that the older kids look out for the little ones - it's so sweet and not at all patronising. They have fun and it's totally cute :)

My little girl went to breakfast club since the day she started in reception, she didn't know anyone but the older girls looked after her and she got to know some of them and they all played lovely together!

There's loads in ours that use it, from nursery (3) to year 6.
Ive only had to use it once and it was fantastic, both kids loved it (4 and 6) and begged to go again. Was also great value for the money, plus you know they're being fed healthily and well cared for and being kept occupied.

Thomas has done after school club once and he loved it. It's popular :) his ta runs it and she also does it in the holidays.

Finn goes three mornings a week and seems mostly to enjoy it - the teacher who runs is very good and some of the slightly older girls like to play with him (he's in nursery at the moment; will be in Reception come September).

My son goes full time from reception, he loves it, so much so my husband can often finish work early on a Friday but he makes sure Ds has some play time at the club first before getting him or he gets annoyed bring picked up too early haha. There's loads of reception age, I don't see why there wouldn't be?

(And just to add my son didn't find school any more tiring at all, he goes to football after club on Tuesdays that's after breakfast club, school and after school club! He loves it all. Everyone told us he'd be knackered but he honestly wasn't, maybe he's the exception but no point worrying about something that might not happen).

No experience here but we are in the same situation and I worry about that too! hopefully it'll be ok!

Weve used breakfast club, since nursery so age 3. He was the only one there from nursery but there was quite a few there from reception. The older children all loved ds been there and really made an effort with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->