Breaking the night time bottle habit...

x Michelle x

loves her babies
Reaction score
Well, Hayden is 19 months old now and i have decided its time he starts sleeping all night.....
He has probably sttn (7-7) about 10 times ever.
We have no problems getting him to sleep, basically milk, then a cuddle and plonk him in bed. We rarely need to re-settle unless he has lost his blanky or dummy. He naps everyday 1-3:30 (so not too long, and not too short). Again, settles like a star for his nap.
My problem is the night wakings, its been 19 months! and i have a 2.5 year old too so as you can imagine our days are pretty non stop.
Well, the last 2 nights, he has woken @ 2am and i have given him warm water in a bottle (flat out refused the cold water.) and he has gone back to sleep til 6:30/7. No rocking, cuddling etc, just popped him back in bed and off he went.
He goes to bed at 6:45(usually bangs and yaps for 20 mins) and he eats plenty food during the day.
I'm convinced this middle of the night bottle is purely habit (since he had water and clearly wasn't fussed by the lack of milk)

So wish me luck people and if anyone has any tips feel free to share :)

good luck. We send dd to bed with a cup of water. She is a very very thirsty child (cleared for JD...thank God) but she will wake and find her cup, and go back to sleep

Good luck! My 2 year old still wakes most nights, he was really good about a year ago but now wakes up about 3am. I've tried water and watering down his bottles but nothing worked so congrats for getting that done. I've cut his middle of the night bottle down from 8oz to 3 and I'm hoping that will help too

Yep still up feeding my 2.5 year old. She wakes for a wee but won't go back to bed without a sippy cup of milk. So I'm very gradually reducing the amount, once she had the milk I plonk her back in bed and she goes back to sleep with no fuss. I figure she will eventually sleep through but recon we've only had maybe 50 nights full sleep in the last 2.5 years!

i took jonathans bottle way at like 16 or 17 months. He was just waking up out of habbit because the moment i took away the bottle he slept without waking up. I was also able to get him into a better ruitine. Like it goes shower story and milk brush teeth and i lay him down in the crib and he sleeps. The first two nights were hard but then he would lay down very eaily and fall asleep himself. Now when i lay him down he say bye bye mommy. And blows kisses and stuff. Sometimes too he will ask for a cup of water to sleep with and i will ok it. Good luck and i hope that it goes smoothly for you!

Well we did ok last night, woke at 11:30 as no dummy but just have him it and straigh back to sleep til 5am! I gave him milk at 5 as he was shouting hiya at me and seems to think it was time to get up! He had the milk and went back to sleep til 7:30! So still not ideal but I'll give him milk if it's after 5am, after all he has done a good sleep til then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->