Breaks at work...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by steph1505, Apr 21, 2009.

1. steph1505

steph1505 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone...was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me...?

I work as a checkout supervisor in Sainsburys and it was really busy today... I was doing a 7am til 4pm shift and only got a 15 minute break because it was so busy and we were quite short staffed! Even tho I wasnt feeling hungry, I still thought that I should get some food for the little one's sake!

I was just wondering if anyone knows if my employer should be making sure that I take my breaks...I had heard someone say that apparently pregnant women are entitled to EXTRA breaks!!

Any input u have would be really appreciated!!

Thanks xxx

2. firegal

firegal Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on this one hun. I know that I have to fill in a risk assessment for my job (haven't done it yet but I've got the form) and one of the questions is am I able to take breaks. The fact that they've included a question on it suggests that they are obligated to let you. I think the key thing is that they can't put you at risk, and obviously over-tiring you is doing just that. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you with more details x

3. firegal

Oooh, just found this on a website https://www.worksafe.uk.com/Services/one2one.htm

Am I entitled to more frequent rest breaks?

Yes. You will need to agree timing and frequency of rest breaks with your employer as part of your specific risk.

4. firegal

Me again! This also mentions the right to extra breaks and as it's from the Health & Safety Executive you could show it to your boss if you wanted, and they'd have to listen to you: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf

5. steph1505

steph1505 Well-Known Member

Thats really really helpful!! Thank u so much!!!

I just wanted to know so that when I go in and moan...I know Im right!!

For a 9 hour shift, we are meant to get a total of 1 hour and 30 mins worth of breaks...so to only get 15 mins is a tad on the rubbish side!!

Thank u so much for the info :D

xx

6. firegal

No problem - hope you sort it out :)

7. lisa_33

lisa_33 Well-Known Member

hey, i work in cash office at sainsburys they done a risk assesment but didnt mention any extra breaks. u should speak to hr xx

8. Pippin

Pippin Sam and Adélie-Rose's Mum

I know we have to give at least half an hour to our staff and 1 20 mins break so 15 minutes is terrible and probably illegal. Good luck putting them in their place.