Breast Feeding and Pacifier?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Soon5kids, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Soon5kids

Soon5kids Pregnant with Blessing #6

Just wondering when and if one should use a pacifier when bf? I haven't yet and am wanting to wait, but not sure how long. Any ideas.....

2. Beaney192

Beaney192 Mummy of 2

I gave my LO a dummy on day 3 and I have had no problems with BF :) Sorry if im not much help :) x

3. lau86

lau86 Well-Known Member

I gave mine one pretty much straight away, now I can't think why I did that cos he was so sleepy and didn't need it! But anyway... I think they say not to give one before bfing is establised so like 6 weeks or so? But I've heard they help prevent SIDS and my nct teacher said to give a dummy? So I find the advice confusing. The only thing is I'm still struggling with working out his hunger cues.

4. austinsmom

austinsmom Well-Known Member

Nipple confusion I think is pretty rare... my LO wouldn't take a pacifier after 6 weeks. But took it while I was in the hospital. I didn't give it to her when we got home, because of nipple confusion. I should've done more research :dohh: Looking back, I probably should've given it after the first few days.... and not waited till after 6 weeks.

5. RoxyRoo

RoxyRoo Mummy to two <3

My LO won't take one at all.

6. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

I waited until 5 weeks. I know nipple confusion from a pacifier isnt as common as one from a bottle, but I didn't want to take the chance. Try the gumdrop pacifier. Its only sold online. Its not the soothie gumdrop brand(the soothie nipple is hard), but the original gumdrop which has a soft nipple. I have heard thats the easiest for breastfed babies. Especially if you hold off until 4-5 weeks to introduce one. My 2nd baby I waited until she was 5 weeks as well but I just used a regular pacifier and she refused it completely. So, I tried the gumdrop with my new baby. She took to it pretty well right away, but was a bit confused. After 2 weeks she was addicted to it lol. I only give it to her when she cries for it. I now know her wanting to nurse vs. just wanting to suck. She will refuse my breast when she just wants the pacifier

https://www.gumdroppacifier.com/GumDrop-Pacifier-s/3.htm

7. Soon5kids

Wow....thanks for all the help ladies. This def. cleared up alot confusion for me. :D

8. austinsmom

austinsmom Well-Known Member

Is it soft like latex? Or softer? My LO is 9 monthd old... and I'm still willing to buy a pacifier if I thought it would work :haha:

9. Soon5kids

I just noticed that the hospital gave me one in our going home package.:D

10. BattyNora

BattyNora Third trimester with 1st

Just echoing what everyone else has said!

My LO wouldn't take one for the first seven weeks and we were trying with tommee tippee closer to nature but she just couldn't keep them in. Then during a particularly bad week I went out in pure desperation and bought about six different types - MAM work for us and haven't had a problem with it interfering with BF!

11. try4girl

try4girl Mom of 2 soon 3

Neither of my sons would take a pacifier or a bottle for that matter. I think I waited to long. Anyone know how to get a breastfeed to drink anything besides breast milk and water. My 15 month old won't drink anything else and when I say water I mean like 5 oz a day if that.

12. menageriemom

menageriemom Well-Known Member

I started mine at 2.5 weeks with a pacifier. She takes it about 10% of the time that I offer it to her, she prefers a finger to suck on! We started with a Soothie (one of those green hospital ones) because it was the only one we had, I tried Tommee Tippee but she flat out refused to take it, and then tried the Gumdrop ones that you buy in stores.

She's had no problem going back on the boob, and they are helpful for car trips, and when she comfort sucks, is just about asleep and picking her up to nurse her would only wake her up further.

13. jaytee146

jaytee146 Blessed mommy to a beautiful girl and growing lo

my lo got one the second nite, due to her being overstimulated because of sOOOOOO many visitors i never wanted. i've noticed her sitter lets her sleep with her pacifier and my lo has it when she's not crying. but when home with me she doesn't use one at all. looking back i wish i had of refused the pacifier at the hospital. i guess i felt so overwhelmed at being a new mom, i often wondered those few day's what the Heck! how can i quiet her. now i only have it for our trips out and she Can't comfort nurse :shrug:

14. amygwen

amygwen Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline

It's just a personal preference. I tried not to introduce a dummy, but did when he was a newborn but he never took to it, so he never used it at all really.

15. ashley2pink

Lol, I'm not sure what you mean. Its as soft as a regular pacifier nipple but the nipple is shaped like a soothie pacifier nipple. The soothie brand though has a very hard nipple. And other pacifiers have a weird shape to them.
    Soon5kids- how nice to already have one to try out! My hospital only gives out the regular soothie pacifiers which are huge and it covers the baby's nose. I have heard some hospitals give out the gumdrop brand but mine doesnt. I bought 2 just to try and once she took to it I bought a few more because those things are so easy to misplace!

16. ashley2pink

There are gumdrops you buy in store but those are soothie brand which I have heard babies who take the reg gumdrop wont take the soothie brand. My sister went and bought a 2 pack of gumdrop soothie and wondered why her son hated it.
    I really didnt want to give a pacifier at all but my dd wants to comfort suck so much and I have an over supply and she would get so mad and scream when my milk would let down and she would refuse to nurse and just scream. The pacifier saved her from that! This happened with my last dd and I felt so bad for her but she would not suck on a pacifier. We tried many times but she would gag and scream. Luckily the gumdrop just seemed to work for my 3rd! I'm hoping to get rid of it in a few months when my milk calms down and she can comfort suck on me:)
    Let us know how it goes for you and lo

17. ashley2pink

Not sure! Maybe start a new thread on this so more can see your question. I just started offering liquids besides nursings around 16-17 months and at first she wasnt too keen on cows milk. I kept it really minimal and gradually gave a little more and her nursings reduced. She still didnt drink much cows milk until she was weaned at 24 months. But she did drink water pretty well. She loves cows milk now though and asks for it often. My 1st daughter never really liked cows milk at all and still doesnt too much at 5 years but she drinks tonz of water. Your dd is still pretty young and I'm sure no other liquid tastes as good as breastmilk to her! Just keep trying to slowly introduce and offer more liquids

18. preggers amo

preggers amo Well-Known Member

i gave my lo the pacifier at day 2, more like night 2 she was born cuz she cried all night and i suppose now i think about it she was just comfort sucking and thats the night that destroyed my nipples and has made bf for me so much harder right now....didnt have one and had to send my oh out to tescos at 6 in the morning to get one!!!

19. pinkpolkadot

pinkpolkadot Well-Known Member

We used one from night 2 I think (despite not intending to!), it didn't cause any BF probs for us :thumbup:

20. sausages

sausages Expecting #3 :)

With DD we waited til after 6 weeks because of the nippple confusion thing, but i think we waited too long. She flat out refused the millions of different types of dummy we offered her and started to suck her thumb instead. Now her thumb sucking is pretty much constant. So, knowing all this we gave DS a dummy straight away and he loved it. It was magic in those early months. Then by about 6 months he started to refuse it and now doesn't need anything. :)