Breast feeding question?

Mommy2Kian

Kaden and Sian :)
Reaction score
When i had Kian, i tried to breast feed him at the hospital but he just fell asleep and wouldnt suck :dohh:
So i never breast fed...

If u breast feed, can u swap to formula when u want to?

E.g if i breast feed in the day, can we use formula in the night time so daddy can get up with him?

Or if we have visitors can i use a bottle then? i dont fancy lobbing a tit out when the inlaws come to visit :rofl:

ive been told if ur breast feeding its best to express if you need to give by bottle, but not to give any by bottle untill baby is at least 2 weeks old so they dont lose the suckling action on the breast. i will be doing this anyway!!

You can mix feed, but know that it will affect your breastmilk supply. If you want to keep up a full supply of breastmilk, you have to stimulate your breasts as often as your baby would feed, which means expressing when someone else gives a bottle.

Have a look on the breastfeeding forum, though. It's brilliant, and I bet the girls there could offer you some excellent ways to be discreet when people are visiting (some mums are so good at it that people don't even realise they're breastfeeding). They should also be able to offer you some tried and tested advice on mixed feeding.

I see no harm in giving a bottle or 2 right in the beginning if you have a sleepy baby and can't express yet...

But generally if you want to breastfeed it is better not to give a bottle in the first few weeks and then if you want to involve family in feeding you LO it is better to express then to give formula...

I would advise you to go with the flow :hugs: |Maybe this time around you will have a really sucky baby and will have no problems with breastfeeding. I also was advised to tickle my LO when he was born on his neck to wake him up.

Hiya

I think they recommend (from what ive read) that if u are going to breast feed you avoid expressing/giving bottle for 6 weeks firstly to prevent nipple confusion and secondly so ure milk supply is established. Im planning on breastfeeding exclusively for 5-6 weeks and will then introduce bottles so daddy can help.

I am a bit like ure self when it comes to feeding in front of ppl but im just going to excuse myself when visitors are in. I have also bought a few BF tops and a shawl to cover myself should the unexpected happen and someone show up.

Good luck and remember at the end of the day it is URE decision how u feed :baby:

:hugs:

Marlow is breastfeeding and also having Aptamil and expressed top ups using an orthadontic teated bottle (the reason is he lost 14.5oz of his birth weight and need to get him back to his original weight to avoid re-admittance to hospital) and he is suckling like a pro! Proud to admit he is much better and more enthusiastic at suckling on me than the bottle though, lol!

When his weight stabilises I will cut out the bottles...I love bf'ing....makes you bond, lose weight and is great as no sterilising needs doing! I was back in my pre-preg jeans just five days after Marlow's birth and feel great....I think bf'ing helps you heal too!

As for visitors, fling a bath sheet around your shoulders and feed away, stuff what people think or feel....

Marlow still nods off on the boob, just a quick foot tickle gets him latching again!

As for NIPPLE CONFUSION, my bf counseller believes that it doesn't exist! Use a nipple like orthadontic teat and that shouldn't happen! She does not reccomend dummies, but tbh Marlow had a soother in hospital and seems unfazed by all of it!

I agree with your counsellor, Lisa. As a neonatal nurse, I don't believe nipple confusion exists either. Some babies will find the flow of a bottle teat easier than the harder work of breastfeeding, so if you can establish breastfeeding before introducing a bottle, that's great. But still, sometimes you can't do that. Nipple confusion is a theory, not a fact (and one that I personally don't buy into).

I don't believe nipple confusion exists either Charlotte was on expressed breast mik at 9/10 days and there was never a problem with nipple confusion, I think the tiredness would have killed me if I hadn't expressed to let daddy do a feed and let me get a bit off sleep.

I intend on breastfeeding exclusivly for the first couple of weeks and then maybe adding 1-2 bottle of formula per day after. Il see how I get on. I think really its just trial and error !

DS was breast fed, with formula as and when needed; people weren't very accepting of breast feeding 10 years ago. So some I expressed and bottled when he was very little, and on day out etc we made bottles up... I found that we had no problem with him changing between the bottle and breast, not even sure if he noticed the difference of consistency... It worked for us then...

I'd agree with LindaK it's a case of playing it by ear and doing what suits you... I found that my milk supply wasn't affected until DS stopped being breast fed... Then I dried up in about a week, until then I felt as if I had enough for DS and any other baby that cried when we were out and about... It was so embarrassing leaking everywhere and for anyone's baby... (I'd only just turned 20...)

Personally I don't really feel that there's a wrong way or a right way; more a fact of a way that works for you...

I'm planning on breast feeding again, but that's only because I'm at home and it's cheaper/saves making bottles up, worrying about heating them etc... Every little helps and I'm pretty lazy too...

In order for breastfeeding to work you first have to get around the hang up of whipping boobs out. Otherwise you'll be too self conscious and it won't
work plain and simple.

You shouldn't mix feed as it can unsettle their developing tummies. And sucking a teat on a bottle is far easier than tugging on a nipple and the sucking motion comes from a different part of the mouth, so that's were the trouble can lie.
In the beginning breastfeeding is really hard, it's draining physically and emotionally and some women resent their partners freedom while they feel trapped doing nothing but feeding for hours on end. But it's completely necessary to feed on demand in order to regulate your milk supply and night feds are vital to this. This frantic feeding can last for a number of weeks as growth spurts etc happen but there's an ending to it when both baby and boobs calm down and get used to each other.

Good luck with what you decide, the main thing is you're happiness in it all.

Thankyou for ur replies ladies, it is something i need to think about

:hugs:

xXx

Also, make sure you try right after birth. I have learned that nb's get aggitated when handled by a lot of people and the way they handle that is by going to sleep. I have few things written for my "birth plan" and one of them is I feed immediately after birth.

Good luck xx

I think the advice is to not mix, but everybody that I know did after the first week and their babies were fine. I personally am planning on expressing sometimes after the first week as I think it's important for daddy to bond as well (oh yeah and for me to get some sleep!!!!)

I don't 'beleive' in nipple confusion either.

Amber is breast fed, has a dummy (otherwise she uses me as one, not suckling or swallowing just keeping up the suction and that gives me sore nipples) and has a night-time (anytime between 9-11.30pm) bottle of EBM or formula or mixed.

When we go out I take EBM or formula (depending on what I have). Not comfortable feeding in public, because she is so young it is a full boobie out job, but I know many, many people who have BF for a year+ and not once fed in public, it doesn't really matter (but if your family and friends tend to let themselves into your house, start locking the door :thumbup:)

As for night feeds, I find them easy. After her bottle she sleeps till 3-5am, quick 20min BF back down till 7am.

Because I have two older boys to get to and from school and nursery, my day is busy with school runs and though I try to BF on demand, I also have to plan feeds around when I have to go and pick up or drop off a child.

I guess what I am saying is that be flexable, nothing is right or wrong, only what is right or wrong for you. You will find what suits you, the hardest part is getting through the hard times, when they feed non stop, when they are not putting weight on fast enough, if your unlucky enough to get sore nipples/mastitis/thrush etc.

Oh and never ever wear a bra that is just that little bit too tight, you think you'll be ok just for an hour or so, but you won't be!!

Sounds the the best thing you could do in your shoes in express in advance in case you do land up somewhere you'd feel uncomfortable whipping them out! :hugs:

I am exclusively expressing - and its easy honey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->