Breast Feeding

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Lil_Baby_Boo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Lil_Baby_Boo

Lil_Baby_Boo Well-Known Member

Went to Anti Natal class yesterday was quite looking forward to it as we were going to be discussing feeding & baby care (bathing/cleaning etc).

OH has been coming with me everyweek but I thought it was really important that he came yesterday as the one thing he is worried about is the feeding & changing!

So we get there yesterday at 1.30 and one of the other PG ladies is stood in the waiting room and she said to me 'phew, I'm glad you've turned up as there is nobody else here yet!'

We're sat there and a few other people turn up (not expecting everyone as a lot of people were due!).......Still no midwife!!

15 mins later a midwife we didn't know (we're ment to have the same one ev week) & student turns up and apoligies for being late and say that she'll be taking the class! Fair enough!!

We get in to the room and she askes us what she should be talking about?? So we tell her feeding & baby care?! (who's teaching who!)
    She then pulls a few things out of her bag.....doll, terry nappy a tin of mustard (for the poo talk)!

The first thing she say's is 'who's going to breastfeed then?' and went around the circle to ask....I'm the only one that says I'm going to bottle feed!
    So off she goes talking about the best ways to breast feed.....sore nipples etc, then asks us to split in to 2 groups to discuss the pro's & DIFFICULTIES (not con's) our difficulties list was bigger than the cons!

So after an hour of explaining breast feeding I thought great she's going to talk about Bottle feeding, how to make up feeds etc (I know how to do it but wanted Chris to be told by an expert!) she just looks at me and goes 'if your bottle feeding you do blah, blah, blah!' and that was it.....less than a minuite!

She then went on to talk about bathing & cleaning which ok was interesting but she just seemed to bluff the whole class and kept saying to the student 'is there anything else I've forgotten?'

At the end she was handing out leaflets on breast feeding and walked past me and just went 'oh, you don't want one!' Which made me feel like I was doing something wrong for not wanting to breast feed!

The thing is my own midwife has just given up on the Breast feeding talk with me, I had someone come to the house a few months ago to talk about it (or to try & make me change my mind & breast feed!) Then I had this midwife yesterday make me feel like a bad person because I'd rather bottle feed!

What would happen if I didn't have a clue about babies & feeding......what would I do then!? Its a bloody good job I do as I'm able to show Chis but we'd be F*cked if I knew nothing as midwifes will only talk about breast feeding!

I did consider Breast Feeding at first & read in to it so its not like I'm just saying NO!
    I've been made to feel like a bad person because I'd prefer to Bottle feed!

Does this mean I'm going to get "attacked" in the Hospital when I ask for a bottle to feed my baby!?

Grrrr!

2. KX

KX Well-Known Member

At my hospital there was a lot of pressure by the MW's but stick to your guns, you're doing whats right for you, and it is your choice.

That is such a terrible attitude to have (the MW who done ur class)u must of felt bad, but don't, as they say formula isn't poison!

xx

3. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

BFing isn't for everyone hun, and it is entirely your choice. I bf Kayleigh for 6 weeks and she was an awful baby as I just wasn't producing enough. As soon as I put her on the bottle, she was a changed baby. So I chose not to even try with Charlie.

Formula milk these days is so close to breastmilk that it really is almost as good. Breast is not necessarily the best for both mother and baby. If you don't want to try it, then don't get pressured into it as you will get stressed and then bubba will get upset too.

My mw was really good, and when I told her that I wanted to bottle feed, she said to me "don't let them bully you to trying bfing in the hospital", and I didn't. Once you get that initial first bottle feed out the way, it's easier. The way our hospital worked was that the mw station kept all the bottles, and you had to go and ask for them one at a time. So DH went and got the first one because I was bed-bound after the section, then I used to keep hold of the used bottle and when I wanted a new one, I would take that down to them, hand it over and ask for a new one. Not one person even tried to make me try bfing.

It's your choice and you are intitled to make it.:hugs:

4. Tilly

Tilly Guest

Ignore them

I always get that reaction when I say I didn't breastfeed (im slightly different to you, I wanted to originally but Bethanie was in special care over christmas, I was feeling quite sensitive and upset anyway and them telling me to bring my expressed milk and using a syringe to feed her didn't exactly encourage me. I tried to express but it wasn't working, so I gave up). For my next baby, im not 100% if I will breastfeed or not.. I might try for a while but im not going to beat myself up if I can't manage it again.

These midwives and health visitors think they have all the answers (with a few exceptions) yet more often that not, they talk a load of crap. It's your baby, do what you want and don't let anyone make you feel bad. No doubt in hospital they will encourage you, but really put your foot down if you don't want to. Who knows, you might even consider it when the time comes.

Hope you're alright.

5. Lil_Baby_Boo

Thanks Girlies,

Its good to know that it not just me!

I was just a bit upset yesterday being made to feel like a 'freak' & out of place because I've decided to bottle feed!

I've just had a call from the Health Visitor, she wants to come round and introduce herself so I'm sure she'll be banging on about it too!

xx

6. Tilly

Tilly Guest

Just say, "look love.. my baby, my choice". And god, those health visitors know how to talk, for hours when you've just had a baby and can't keep your eyes open grr.

7. Louise

Louise Proud mum to baby Nick

I had something simular yesterday. A girl I knew asked me if I was going to Breast Feed, I said no because I dont feel comfortable with that and I would much prefer to bottle feed. Fair enough, I have never done either of them, but hey, like the girls said, it's our choice, right? She then went on to say that breast feeding is alot better for both myself and baby, and that I dont wanna be up in the middle of the night making bottles- well, YES, I clearly do, because otherwise I wouldnt choose to bottle feed my child would I? Then she started going on about how Im going to do it, and how would I make up a feed etc:- I told her i'd make up a few bottles for the night feeds, put some in the fridge, and when nicky wanted them I would do that whole "put bottle in hot water" deal, to warm the milk up. She looked at me like I was a bad mother or something, I mean gimmie a freaking break, this is my first kid, and I may be a tad clueless at the moment, but im sure someone will help me out...
    I had a feeling that they'd be alot of pressure from MW's at the hospital when it comes to breast feeding, but the way I see it, who's the mother here? we are- and whilst bottle feeding may not be the better option of the two, many women do it, so I dont see much of an issue.
    Besides, NOBODY in my family breast fed their babies- we all have small boobs, and some didnt produce enough milk, it may change after I have given birth but even then, I dont think i'd wanna do it.

Sorry to highjack your thread Sam, but Im having the same issues.

Yes I admit, I dont know what Im doing , so if some of you read my reply and thought "you dont make up a feed in that way", then im sorry :( Im kinda clueless at the moment.

8. Tilly

Tilly Guest

We always used to make up Bethanies milk feeds (24 hours worth - 6 bottles) and keep them in the fridge obviously, then heat as needed.. but we got the whole "oh milk breeds bacteria, you must use boiled water". but it's just fuss over nothing! thats how I had my milk as a baby and loads of other babies I know and they are perfectly well. Bottles are so simple to make after a while anyway, I remember at first we were a bit unsure with the steriliser, but after running it a few times you become an expert.

9. Louise

Louise Proud mum to baby Nick

My dad has years and years of experience with kids. He raised his own, and his grandchildren, and he made up the bottles in the same way that you just described.
    Like I have said about alot of things though, back in his day (bless him) they probably didnt have so much crap in their foods, where-as this day and age, you don't know what you're eating or drinking.

10. Lil_Baby_Boo

I dnt know if its the same for ev one else but I've been advised (by the MW who done home visit a while ago....after the breast feeding lecture) to feed like this:

Fill kettle & boil
    Leave to stand for 30 mins
    Pour how ever many ounc of water in to btls & screw on lids
    Leave bottles at room temp or somewhere cool (but not in fridge)
    Add powder/milk to water when btl needed and give at room temp

Therefore no heating & no fridging. This is all to do with bacteria etc too! She said if you do want to give a warm bottle say in the winter you'd have to use boiling water and then leave to cool to a suitable temp before giving to baby!

Two of my friends were also advised by their MWs to feed that way. After looking after their LO's I do agree its a lot more convenient esp when out for the day or shopping!

I'm not 100% sure how long the water is ok for - I forgot!! :dohh: (I'm assuming 24 hours) thats something I'll check with Health Vis on Tuesday!
    If anyone knows pls let me know!

11. Imi

Imi .

Huh i leave my water in the fridge and then fill the bottles and put them back in the fridge!!

My MW knows about this and not ~once~ told me im wrong she just said not to put the milk in them and discard any bottles that have had milk in them for over an hour (I agree with this)

So i ALWAYS have ALEAST 4 cold water ready made bottles (than just need the water putting in them) in the fridge at ALL times!

xxx

12. KX

KX Well-Known Member

Lil Baby Boo that is how wee make Rebecca's bottles up. I sterelise (yes I still do at 18 months:blush:) then add the boiling water and leave the 6 of them in a cool place on the work top and add milk when she needs a bottle.

Never had any probs doing it this wayxxx

13. Lil_Baby_Boo

KX do you know how long the water stays sterlie for? I cnt remeber?

xx

14. Tilly

Tilly Guest

We were advised by one health visitor to leave them in the room to cool then put it in the fridge, then by another health visitor to cool it quickly then put it in the fridge.. then the same health visitor told us something different - I think they get confused themselves sometimes.

For a while we used to put boiled water into all of the bottles, then cool them quickly (by standing them in cold water) then putting them in the fridge but it's just so much easier to make the milk then cool it and put it in the fridge. Shes never had any tummy bug or anything from doing that.

Lil baby boo, we only leave water in the fridge for 24 hours max, in the daytime for Bethanie's drinks - I boil the kettle in the morning then cool it down for her.

15. Lil_Baby_Boo

I agree, the MW's do get confused and they all have diff ways/methods!

My first MW Jeanette (she's not on maternity leave) told me a lot of the "old skool" MW's do some things the way they were originally taught.....even when they've been advised somethings have changed! Like she wouldn't listen to my Baby's heartbeat at ev appt......she'd only do it if I requested! Were as my new MW Cath (who's a bit old skool) just say's 'Jump up on the bed & we'll have a prod & a listen!'

Last week when I went I saw someone else as Cath was on her hols and she was really horrible, really blunt & she had a feel of my tum and she asked if my mum had heard his Heartbeat (my mum was at the appt with me) as she hadn't she said she'd have a listen but was like 'this isn't normal procedure but as your mum's not been before I'll do it!'

As far as feeding goes I think if you've had a baby before then you'll do it the way you did first time around so long as it 'works' so to speak! Where as if its your first you'll either do it the way you've been told/advised or the way you know!
    I don't suppose there's a wrong & right way its just whatever you find most effective! Every MW saying something diff dnt help tho!

16. Tilly

Tilly Guest

Yep definitely, no doubt if id had no experience with babies I would have panicked a bit and listened to the health visitors/midwives more. But since I have babysat a little one from a week old - about 5 years I had a little more experience with those little things (nappies, bathing, bottle feeding) and was determined to do it my way.

I think it's always best to listen to their advice as they are the experts but just get on with it and try not to compare?, after all they're our kids, and we won't always have someone to ask 24/7.

:D

17. Imi

Imi .

I don't agree with the making up of the milk and you should dispose of the un used in a bottled if not used in the hour.
    It has been proven to cause stomach upset and listeria/bacteria can be found in the bottle/milk.

Im not doin it the "etheical" way but my bottled are sterilised have COLD steralised water poored in then and then put back in the fridge until feeding time, then add the powder.

Reccommending for the actual milk to be made up is not the right thing to do, make up the bottles as you need them, you can buy tubs to put in your changing bag that hold the right amount of milk scoops needed for feeds.

tommy tippe have them for there bottles and this is what i use.

xxx

18. Spunky Cupkake

Spunky Cupkake Well-Known Member

Hi lil baby boo

please dont feel like that at the end of the day you do what feels right and what your comfortable with at the end of the day maybe the baby wont take to you (not saying the baby wouldnt) but some mums cant breastfeed as they dont have enough milk or just dont produce it you do what fits into your lifestyle with my first at 15 i thought no im bottle but i read into it and decided ok i will try so i did for 6 months i fed my son then morgan came along i breastfed him upto a year i now have angharad and only managed to feed her up until 7 weeks as my milk was just not feeding her and i put her onto bottles some midwifes say this breast is best but personally if i were a midwife id leave the mother choose i wouldnt be funny about it nor would i pressureise them into something they are not comfortable with and if you want to bottle feed then just say ive mademy mind up and ive decided to bottlefeed and state this in your birth plan but just incase your in doubt whether to breast or bottle and this goes for anyone its better to try breast first than bottle as your milk will come in then dry up and its harder to get a baby to switch from bottle to breast than breast to bottle

dont leave the mw pressurise you hun i think shes totaly out of order plus they way she coudlnt be bothered to tell you about bottle feeding i think its dissgusting

good luck

xxxx

19. Lil_Baby_Boo

Thats what I mean Imi......Pour the water in to the sterilised bottles and then add the powder as & when btls required! I have a couple of the avent dispensers too!

I would also throw away a feed if it was an hour or more old - I'm assuming thats what everyone does!

It just seems you fridge yours (the water) where as I've been advised to keep mine at room temp/cool!

xx

20. Imi

Imi .

I take my bottles out an our before a feed isw due to make sure it is room temp ....

but to keep the water as sterile as poss i keep it in the fridge .... to warm a day and the water is warm if the room is hot = discusting gloopy milk that solidifies quick!! GROSS!!

xxx