breast feeidng and baby rice etc

T

tinytoes

if i wanted to think about baby rice or cereal etc for my LO would I express the milk? What a pallava for each feed... Or mix with water?

I dont plan on doing it yet but planning ahead :)

I used to express some breast milk and mix it in with the rice .

Hi hun the cereal Tabs has mixes with cooled boiled water and tastes so much better than the rice does.
:baby:

I always found the rice so blan lol I tried max on it and he hated it but my baby rats loved it lol

Whatever you use, it takes quite a lot of liquid to make cereal thin enough for a baby who is new to food eat it and like it.

You can always add both breastmilk and water, which is what I did for DD#1

I can only pump 3-4 ounces of milk a day and if I feed 2 cereal meals I'd use 2 oz of breastmilk to a Tbsp or so of rice cereal and then add water to thin to the desired consistency.

A few weeks ago (at 4 month mark) my mother would not stop bitching about trying LO on cereal... :dohh: so I gave in and we made some up.

She liked the taste, but it didn't settle well in her tummy that night. She's still not to a point to be able to move her own burps very well, and having that 'thick' food down there just makes her gassy and uncomfortable. Plus eating and swallowing solids makes her swallow a lot more air.

So needless to say, my mother has finally stopped bitching after that. :happydance: lol

Anyway, for one Tbsp of dry cereal, we added just about 2 ounces of liquid to make it quite thin for her. When she's ready I would guess in another 4-6 weeks, that will be about the perfect amount for a meal, with a Tbsp or so of pureed veggies or fruits.

I also tried her with orange veggies to see what she'd do, and she very much liked the sweet potatoes, and her tummy liked them a lot more too.

That said, we're still waiting to fully integrate solids until the 6 month time frame. Not only because her digestive system isn't mature, but for her ability to remove air ... burp :)
:happydance:

Hope that helps?
:hug:

Whatever you use, it takes quite a lot of liquid to make cereal thin enough for a baby who is new to food eat it and like it.

I can only pump 3-4 ounces of milk a day and if I feed 2 cereal meals I'd use 2 oz of breastmilk to a Tbsp or so of rice cereal and then add water to thin to the desired consistency.

A few weeks ago (at 4 month mark) my mother would not stop bitching about trying LO on cereal... :dohh: so I gave in and we made some up.

She liked the taste, but it didn't settle well in her tummy that night. She's still not to a point to be able to move her own burps very well, and having that 'thick' food down there just makes her gassy and uncomfortable. Plus eating and swallowing solids makes her swallow a lot more air.

So needless to say, my mother has finally stopped bitching after that. :happydance: lol

Anyway, for one Tbsp of dry cereal, we added just about 2 ounces of liquid to make it quite thin for her. When she's ready I would guess in another 4-6 weeks, that will be about the perfect amount for a meal, with a Tbsp or so of pureed veggies or fruits.

I also tried her with orange veggies to see what she'd do, and she very much liked the sweet potatoes, and her tummy liked them a lot more too.

That said, we're still waiting to fully integrate solids until the 6 month time frame. Not only because her digestive system isn't mature, but for her ability to remove air ... burp :)

Hope that helps?
Hi margerle, are the cereals over there Gluten free? i know my HV was babbling on about making sure it was gluten free blah blah until 6 months old.
When i went yesterday (i only wanna get her weighed for her meds!) the HV kept going on about ooooh time to start reading about solids....then i said she started 3 weeks ago.
Tabs is doing pretty well so far. When you say just a few tsps.....tabs has about 1-2 oz of cereal! eeek...i just feed her what i make up lol....i have steadily progressed the qty though and tbh her wind is better and her reflux is definately better and it all comes out the other end better than ever.
I was just curious on the cereal you had and the gluten thingy.

Love LO's diva leopard print top btw! too cute!

Hope that helps?
Hi margerle, are the cereals over there Gluten free?

Yep, I only use rice stuff. Worrisome gluten comes from wheat, barley and oats. My DD#1 was thought to be gluten intolerant (celiac disease)

i know my HV was babbling on about making sure it was gluten free blah blah until 6 months old.

This is very true. There are lots of issues in the lining of immature intestines when exposed to these glutens too early.

When i went yesterday (i only wanna get her weighed for her meds!) the HV kept going on about ooooh time to start reading about solids....then i said she started 3 weeks ago.

:)
Tabs is doing pretty well so far. When you say just a few tsps.....tabs has about 1-2 oz of cereal! eeek...i just feed her what i make up lol....i have steadily progressed the qty though and tbh her wind is better and her reflux is definately better and it all comes out the other end better than ever.
I was just curious on the cereal you had and the gluten thingy.

Glad things are working out for you! It makes parenting so much easier when baby is happy :)

Love LO's diva leopard print top btw! too cute!

Haha! TYVM :)

Hope that helps?

Was just going to post this question. As my pedi has advised on giving Bren some rice cereal to see if that helps with his reflux.

Samantha, I've read in quite a few places, that having a little rice does help for many babies with reflux. I would think it would be worth a try at a convenient time :)

Hope it goes well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"