Breastfeeding and Anti-depressants

elm

Mama
Reaction score
I've seen my hv today and she's suggested anti-depressants for PND as a starting point. Does anyone have any experience of taking them while breastfeeding? Won't take them if it'd mean stopping bfing. Off to drs in a bit.

(typing 1 handed!)

x

I'm not sure to be honest but I am sure your h/v or Dr will be able to advise. Maybe there are certain ones you can take to enable you to continue to breastfeed. Hope they help :hugs:

My dr wasn't up to date on the thrush meds so I'm not all that hopeful. I've rang the bfing support people and the woman who knows about these things isn't in til tomorrow so I'm going to get what the dr gives me then I'll check with her before I take any.

I don't want to be poisoning my baby, it's really upsetting to think that...

x

Just found this on the internet xx

What about breastfeeding?

Women commonly become depressed after giving birth - this is called post-natal depression. It usually gets better with counselling and practical support.

However, if you are unlucky enough to get it badly, it can exhaust you, stop you from breast-feeding, upset your relationship with your baby and even hold back your baby's development. In this case, antidepressants can be helpful.

What about the baby?

He or she will get only a small amount of antidepressant from mother's milk. Babies older than a few weeks have very effective kidneys and livers. They are able to break down and get rid of medicines just as adults do, so the risk to the baby is very small.

Some antidepressants, like Sertraline, only get into the breast milk in very small amounts – it is worth talking this over with your doctor or pharmacist. On balance, bearing in mind all the advantages of breast-feeding, it seems best to carry on with it while taking antidepressants.

I went through a special unit to find out what may affect baby the least and at the time (3 years ago) they said Imiprimine (sp?) was the best option for baby but not as effective for me that some other stuff. I took it in a particular way so baby got as little of it in breastmilk as possible. I think I took one in the morning after feeding and 3 at night after the last feed (she wasn't feeding through the night then). If baby is still feeding in the night maybe you could give expressed milk or something:huh:

I must admit that they made me feel a little "spaced" for the 1st week or two of taking them and I wouldn't attempt to drive like that but as your body gets used to them you can drive again:happydance:

Good luck babe:hugs:. Get your name down for councilling and/or CBT as well:hug:

Thank you :)

I've been prescribed Sertraline (50mg), she did check to make sure it was ok with breastfeeding in that book (BMF/BNF or something) they have a better book at the bfing place though so I'm not going to start taking them til I've spoke to them tomorrow.

Elliot is sleeping for about six hours and he has an expressed feed last thing so we should be able to do it so he gets as little as possible, thanks for that Hevz. Will get my name down for some CBT/Counseling, sounds like there's a bit of a waiting list but I think it'll really help especially with getting over giving birth.

x

The BNF is the book that ALL doctors, nurses, and pharmacists use - so if it says its ok to use while BF it will be hun. Any other book wont be as upto date as the BNF because that is updated every 6 months, last done in march. Im a trained nurse, and take anti-d's myself, and did when i was preg, so i know a lil bit about it.

The BNF is the book that ALL doctors, nurses, and pharmacists use - so if it says its ok to use while BF it will be hun. Any other book wont be as upto date as the BNF because that is updated every 6 months, last done in march. Im a trained nurse, and take anti-d's myself, and did when i was preg, so i know a lil bit about it.

Thanks x

There's another book that lists medication in the same way but it rates them as to how safe they are when bfing.

Thanks x

There's another book that lists medication in the same way but it rates them as to how safe they are when bfing.

Ah right, sorry didnt know about that book. Try not to worry tho, im sure all is ok. Best to have a happy mum, even if it means switching to formula :hugs:

The book (still don't know what it's called) rated it as L2 which is low risk so it's not reallya problem - there's only been one possible case where it may have effected a baby (caused neonatal sleep, not sure what that is, may or may not have been related to the drug). It's at it's highest level 7 hours after taking it and then after 11 hours there shouldn't be any in the milk so I'm having it at 8 in the evening so that it'll be at it's highest when we're all asleep then gone before the morning feed.

Thanks for your advice everyone :hugs: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->