Breastfeeding and Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Serene123, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

I think I might have Diabetes..

I'm peeing alot especially at night, feeling dizzy and a little crampy. I feel so lethargic a lot of the time. I thought the dizzyness and lethargy was just feeling a little down sometimes but now I'm not so sure.. My sister has type 2 diabetes so I don't know if it's genetic.

Anywho, does it effect BF?

2. AppleBlossom

AppleBlossom Guest

I don't think it would affect BFing as it has nothing to do with your milk supply, it's to do with your pancreas. My grandad and auntie both have type 1 diabetes which I know is genetic although i'm not sure about type 2 as it's not very common in under 40's! Hope you don't have it :hugs:

3. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

i dont think type 2 is genetic, my dad's type 2 and only got diagnosed in the last couple of years (he's 60). it's late onset type2, so normally isnt diagnosed til a lot older. my dad's is diet controlled, you've GOT to have breakfast, somethin like porridge to set you up for the day. he makes sure he eats his 5 a day and stuff like that. i wouldnt have thought it affected BF, cos i'm pretty your body makes sure LOs fed before you? xx

4. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Thanks girls, just checking. She's not BFing much that's all. I guess she's just growing up :dohh:

5. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Sounds like you could be dehydrated or not eating enough food, or not eating enough healthy food. Peeing more can be a sign of dehydration, as is the dizzyness and cramping.

6. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

I would try to go see the doctor if your worried hun , diabetes is not something to mess around with !

Are you eating healthy ? like lots of fruits and veg ? I n=know its hard to eat our normal 3 meals when we got lil ones running around but you gotta try

7. Logiebear

Logiebear Mum to 4 darlings

I wouldn't go into saying what's wrong with you hun but see a Dr. I just have to say that I have early onset type 2 diabetes and I am bfing. If anything it is making my sugars lower and I have better control. My health is better now I am bfing so it improves with bfing xxx

8. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

My Dad's type 2 - he had a feeling he was because it's in our family and he was right. I dont know how it affects BFing but a quick blood test should set your mind at rest. x