Breastfeeding & Antidepressants?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by krockwell, Mar 29, 2011.

1. krockwell

krockwell 3 Gorgeous Boys!

Hi there,

I finished BFing my son just before his 1st birthday, but now I'm pregnant with #2, and have just been put onto Anti-depressants (celexa). Was curious if any other women have successfully breastfed while on Anti-depressants? Or if they experienced any side effects to their baby while Bfing on anti-d's?

:shrug:

I'm starting to panic a little bit now, because I want to breastfeed, but am scared about the side effects it may have on my child if I'm still on anti-d's. :shrug: :help:

2. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

Hi, hon! :wave:

I've been on Zoloft, 100mg SID, since TTC Otter. I've breastfed him and DK while taking them. No problems here. :thumbup:

Celexa is more risky than Zoloft, though. Zoloft is known to be very safe for pg and bfing. Celexa has a higher transfer rate to milk.

Can you speak to your doctor about trying Zoloft instead?

https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

3. krockwell

krockwell 3 Gorgeous Boys!

I talked to the dr about which ones would be safest while pregnant and she said that Celexa is the safest one during pregnancy? (although I'm on the generic brand Citalopram) :shrug: I've heard horror stories of Zoloft, but maybe once the baby comes I can switch to something that has less of a transfer rate to the milk.

I forgot to ask her about bfing when I was there last, but will at my next appt for sure.

Thanks!! :thumbup: