Breastfeeding Diet Tips

LockandKey

Reaction score
Just had my LO and have been breastfeeding her for a total of 6 days now. I'm not exactly as health conscious as I'd like to be, so I was hoping some of you ladies could lend some diet tips that would be great for me and sweet baby girl. All kinds of foods, snacks, and drinks appreciated :thumbup:

Thank you

porriage for breakfast is always a good start, plenty of fruit and vege and protein sources, i like a good jacket potato once a week at least

i just eat everything in sight:haha: maddie was born nr xmas so i diet of chocolate, peanuts. orange juice , tea, crisps and anything else i could eat snappy is what i ate:haha: i am trying now to be healthy:thumbup: to lose weight:cry: but nothing is happening so far:cry: i would eat plenty lots of veg and protein, and oats are great for milk supply:thumbup: and loads of drinks x well done btw your doing great:thumbup::happydance: x

Water, water and more water, i am a bit the same as kelly29. I ate what i could when i could. I live on toast and chocolate. And have lost all my baby weight and then some what i can say is i stay away from leafy veg like sprouts and cabbage as it causes baby to get grissly and fart loads. lol and

I didn't diet. BF-ing makes weight fall off, and if/when you start working out you will be even hungrier, so eat more! And the weight will still continue to fall off.

Please make sure you get enough calories, enough protein, otherwise you'll have a fussy, gassy baby on your hands and you might not realize why. :hugs:

Never really a good idea to "diet" whilst breastfeeding. You can of course make healthier choices (like an orange instead of chips for an afternoon snack) though.

Water, fruit and veg, i ate alot of bananas in the early days, i tired to have a pintof water every time i fed LO as it made me thirsty!! I also ate alot of natural yoghurt, its filling and doesn't feel too healthy!! Oh, stay away from too much caffiene, it will get to LO too and that can cause sleep issues. Other than that try and thik ahead, what you eat when you breastfeed will help with weaning... for exampkle..my banana habit has shown now as LO loves bananas. I wish now i'd eaten much more veg than i did...i'm quite fussy!!!

I don't agree that bf makes the weight fall off. 3 of my friends and I are still carrying pregnancy weight that is in no way shifting - 1.5 stone for me won't come off despite me eating porridge with summer berries on every morning, salads for lunch and mostly healthy evening meals.

I have a Frijj milkshake once a day, drink soya milk in one cup of decaff tea each morning and drink fresh fruit juice for the rest of the day (maybe 3 or 4 glasses).

I obviously don't want to go on a strict diet whilst bf but would like to know how I can lose this last 1.5 stone as it's getting me down that I can't fit in any of my old clothes.

xx

I don't agree that bf makes the weight fall off. 3 of my friends and I are still carrying pregnancy weight that is in no way shifting - 1.5 stone for me won't come off despite me eating porridge with summer berries on every morning, salads for lunch and mostly healthy evening meals.

I have a Frijj milkshake once a day, drink soya milk in one cup of decaff tea each morning and drink fresh fruit juice for the rest of the day (maybe 3 or 4 glasses).

I obviously don't want to go on a strict diet whilst bf but would like to know how I can lose this last 1.5 stone as it's getting me down that I can't fit in any of my old clothes.

xx

Losing weight is always about calories at the end of the day and breastfeeding burns about 500 extra calories a day, give or take. I suspect the difference between those who say the weight just falls of to the ones who say it doesn't is hunger and perception. Try this calculator to find out your maintenence calories and take off 500 or so a day.

https://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

I am always starving and eat waaaaay too much cake! I am losing my weight quicker now than I did cirst time round but I think that is because I have gone dairy free so I can't eat cheese or a lot of breads so I only eat cake at home now not when I am out and I also can't eat chocolate :( With my daughter I ate cake and chocolate all day long and it took me about four months to lose my weight. This time I am trying to eat large portions with all my main meals to take the edge off the constant hunger during the day.
My favourite snack at the moment is flapjacks. The oats are good for milk supply and they fill you up.

BF'ing doesn't make weight fall off for everyone. My weight loss has been very slow and I'm still 5 pounds away from being my pre-preg weight and Bella's almost a year old.

I should also mention that I DO count calories and workout in the gym doing weight lifting and cardio 4-5 times a week.

xx

Losing weight is always about calories at the end of the day and breastfeeding burns about 500 extra calories a day, give or take. I suspect the difference between those who say the weight just falls of to the ones who say it doesn't is hunger and perception. Try this calculator to find out your maintenence calories and take off 500 or so a day.

Thank you. Do you know how much an average plate of salad is in calories?

xx

xx

Thank you. Do you know how much an average plate of salad is in calories?

xx

Salad is one of those things that can be 250 calories or 2500 depending on what's in it. Here's an article about calorie counting. Theres a fairly good website for keeping track of your calories linked too. I've never used it but it looks decent.
https://www.acaloriecounter.com/calorie-counting.php

I breastfeed,however I have to pump as my babies are in the nicu.They are 5 days old.Anyways I am finding my appetite has changed so much since I gave birth.I have been eating pretty healthy.

fluids. seriously. I was totally unprepared for how thirsty and dehydrated breastfeeding would make me. Sorry if this is TMI but if you don't get enough water you will get the worst constipation. My GP has advised me I need to drink at least 8 pints a day whilst breastfeeding. I do and STILL feel thirsty!

Water, water and more water, i am a bit the same as kelly29. I ate what i could when i could. I live on toast and chocolate. And have lost all my baby weight and then some what i can say is i stay away from leafy veg like sprouts and cabbage as it causes baby to get grissly and fart loads. lol and

i agree with staying hydrated :) keep drinking. lots n lots of water.

i eat lots of proteins (meats: chicken, beef, fish, and some pork; eggs, nuts etc..). eat bananas and sweet potatoes, salads (some) and lots of homemade soups with homemade chicken stocks. Good for baby :) no onions, gassy veggies, chocolate or caffeine--all which upset baby. but other vegs are good (asparagus, squash, tomatoes etc..) i snack on cheeses, yogurt/granola etc...and drink water (lots), cup of tea each day, and lots of raw goats milk.

i lost my PG weight within a few weeks and have kept it off, but do fluctuate up and down by a few pounds--depending on the day.

i have days when i am super hungry and can eat all day it seems like, and other days when i have a normal appetite. i just go with what my body tells me it needs. i usually have to have a snack in the night because she wakes 3 times a night to eat and i get hungry.

what about cow's milk? I've heard both good and bad about this. Right now I just have a glass a day

if lo is okay with it then i say drink it! some LOs have a hard time with it but not all...

With food as the ladies hav said for drinks u can get coconut water called vita coco frm asda.. The health benefits are enormous too much to list if u do a quick internet search you'll find them.. Very nutritious and tasty

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->