breastfeeding mums help please

Heather.78

Reaction score
hey guys so breastfeeding has been going really well till the last couple of days she will only feed for a max of 10 mins whether shes awake or not as well as latching on really badly she started off really well but now doesnt want to open her mouth wide enough, so as a result shes feeding pretty much hourly until the evening which is when she gets her expressed bottle(she gets given to daddy so I can have a bath) then because of the full feed sleeps rather well, so Ive tried everything to get her going again stripped her clothes off, burping waiting 10 mins or so nothing really works, I think the reason for it is because she has had really bad wind and not the burping kind I took her to the doctors because she screams everytime she has a poo or a fart and the doctor said its nothing to worry about, but I also think this is the reason she is feeding so oddly because she will only poo or fart when shes feeding, not sure if anyone else had had anything similar but any advise would be great, I gave my nan (who is like a mum to me) an emergency call this morning to come over I couldnt settle her at all and the poor little girl needs some kind of nap during the day and sure enough if nan has got her asleep and shes been asleep for 2 hrs now what a relief.:sleep:

Sorry to here your having those problems hun ..I did go through this with max so heres what i can offer you

He would not latch on right , so the LC told me make him release and then put his chin up to the bottom of the nipple and tickle his upper lip and he would open wide and take allot of the breast in ..that helped until he got gassy ..

I used to give him a tiny bit of gripe water just before and make him to all his burps and farts wait 5 min and then he'd feed correctly ..mabey try those sorry cant offer you more

What kind of bottle are you using for the expressed feed?

When I had my daughter the MW told me to only use the bottles that have the teats that mimic the breast so the baby has to work to get the milk out. She said that some babies get lazy about suckling if they have a normal bottle that literally just pours the milk into their mouths without them actually having to work for it.

Good luck with it all. xxx

my LO has had lots of trouble with wind. I cant offer much advice except to avouid eating windy foods yourself as this affects your milk and wind for baby. And to try and not worry too much - she will grow out of it. Keep getting her weight checked. As long as she is gaining weight you're doing a marvelous job.

I agree with making sure the bottle is the right one!! I now have one that mimics the breast alot more now and it's great. Ava doesn't have too much trouble with her latch since

Two things which help with our LO's gas- we have Simethicone (sp??) drops (antigas) and then we massage her. The calves/feet are acupressure points for the bowels. So we rub her calves and feet which will often help her poo within a few hours. And then we take and push her knees to her ears, and then stretch her legs out all the way while rubbing her belly and keep repeating that. It seems stretching and rubbing helps the gas move down and then when we push her knees to her ears she often is able to release the gas. She has just started having problems with nursing in the last few days (we assume it is related to gas problems) and so we have taken to nursing shorter periods of time but more frequently. It becomes time consuming, but seems to help. Good luck.

My hv told me that babies change the way they feed at 6 weeks, as your LO has. As for feeding times and falling asleep. My daughter is now 28 weeks old and still frequently falls asleep on the breast, I dont wake her as I think its natural for her to fall asleep while feeding and feeling secure and snuggled. She also only ever feeds for around 5 minutes. As babies get older they get more effective at getting the milk out so feeding times can be really short. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->