Breastfeeding or bottlefeeding?

poppy

Mum of Three
Reaction score
What have you all chosen to do and how are you finding it?

I am breastfeeding and it is going ok. Usually Tristan feeds really well. However, at times, he feeds well for a while and then drops off the nipple - he then finds it hard to re-attach. He then does this weird 'bobbing for apples' maneouvre with his head and gets quite annoyed if he cannot reattach. I have to do all these gymnastic positions with my boob to try and get him latched on again.

Any tips?

xxx

Hey Pops!

I'm breastfeeding. I had been topping up with bottles but I think I cocked my milk supply up so after a week of both breast and bottle and a few dummies thrown in for good measure, I'm back to basics. She generally latches pretty well but I do have to pull a few of the gymnastics moves you mentioned from time to time!!!

No real tips but I have been to a breast feeding 'cafe' which is essentially a support group and it's something that I found very useful and I'll be carrying on with. Perhaps ask you MW or HV if there's anything similar in your area????

x

I have this with Jay too. He's breastfeeding and on the whole he feeds well, but some nights he doesn't seem to latch on properly so keeps going on and off and has a scream before latching back on, which usually results in trapped wind :(

I don't have any advice sorry hun, I just do what you do and keep trying until he latches back on!!

xx

Bren used to do the same thing, it drove me nuts and cracked me up at the same time. He will get much better at latching. we have been nursing for 5 months now, and I am very happy to keep going. We are having a little rough patch since Bren's bottom teeth are coming in, but nothing we can't work through.

Sorry hun,I have no advice on this.
I have been bottlefeeding from day one and am finding it great! She's a little chubber already. :)

I b-fed for five days,tried expressing then went onto formula. Had major problems with him being hungry all the time and being quite rough with me-made me bleed etc although latched on. Also felt so low over it, so made tough decision to swap to bottles. Hes doing great now.

i like u had the bobbing for apples trouble at the start now he latches on with out any help x

Thanks girls! It is great to know that it is not just me having these issues and that it is just a matter of keeping going.

xxx

yes, the bobbing gets better in time. Least it did for me and TEd. I'm bfing because it's best for baby and cheaper and easier for me!!! :)
And I am so happy I managed it -the first fwe weeks were hellishly painful.

as for a tip to help the pecking little chicken movements - my midwife was really firm with baby and thrust his head into postion. It seemed quite brutal, but he didnt seem to mind and she assured me that however firmly I push him onto the boob he'll always be able to breathe. I guess that to remember this would be my tip - I always worried he'd suffocate if i held him in position too closely.

I have the apple bobbing too. I tends to be later in the day when she's a bit tired and impatient. she likes to have a little scream when she can't latch on too.

I am bottlefeeding after a 2 week attempt at breastfeeding. I find bottle feeding easier as my OH can feed her at nighttime and I can get a solid 8 hours of sleep. Reasons why I stopped breastfeed: had Mastitis, lost 30 pounds the first week and felt so weak due to a restricted diet (from having gallstones...which get aggravated from weight loss), had my nipple pierced on one side and milk would not come out of it, lol, even with pumping.

The only problem I have with bottle feeding is washing the damn bottles all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->