breastfeeding questions?

kes_a

Reaction score
hope someone can help me. i have put this in breast feeding room to.i forgot to ask the midwife a few questions at the last antenatal class.

whats the earliest you can start to express?

what time is best to express to build up a stock in the freezer?

how long does milk last for when not put in the fridge/freezer?

if i decided to have a night out with the husband and end up having a few drinks,would it be ok to feed with frozen milk for 24hrs to let the alcohol out of my system and express at normal feeding times and chuck that milk away?

do you heat breast milk to the same temp as formula when using from the fridge?

hope someone can help me. i have put this in breast feeding room to.i forgot to ask the midwife a few questions at the last antenatal class.

whats the earliest you can start to express? You can start expressing when breastfeeding has been established.

what time is best to express to build up a stock in the freezer? It's best to do it in the morning as your breasts will be fuller

how long does milk last for when not put in the fridge/freezer? I believe 4 hours below 100 degrees

if i decided to have a night out with the husband and end up having a few drinks,would it be ok to feed with frozen milk for 24hrs to let the alcohol out of my system and express at normal feeding times and chuck that milk away?
I think so

do you heat breast milk to the same temp as formula when using from the fridge?
"How to Warm the Milk

Frozen milk: thaw in the refrigerator overnight or under cool running water. Gradually increase the temperature of the water to heat the milk to feeding temperature.

Refrigerated milk: Warm the milk under warm running water for several minutes. Or immerse the container in a pan of water that has been heated on the stove. Do not heat the milk directly on the stove. Some babies accept milk right from the refrigerator.

Do not bring temperature of milk to boiling point.

Human milk may separate into a milk layer and a cream layer when it is stored. This is normal. Swirl it gently to redistribute the cream before giving it to baby.

Do not use a microwave oven to heat human milk. It may cause the loss of some of the beneficial properties of the milk. Microwaves do not heat liquids evenly and may leave hot spots in the container of milk. This could be dangerous for infants.

Sometimes thawed milk may smell or taste soapy. This is due to the breakdown of milk fats. The milk is safe and most babies wil still drink it. If there is a rancid smell from high lipase (enzyme that breaks down milk fats) activity when the milk has been chilled or frozen, the milk can be heated to scalding (bubbles around the edges, not boiling) after expression, then quickly cooled and frozen. This deactivates the lipase enzyme. Scalded milk is still a healthier choice than commercial infant formula.

If you or your baby has a thrush or yeast/fungus infection, continue to breastfeed during the outbreak and treatment. While being treated, you can continue to express your milk and give it to your baby. Be aware that refrigerating or freezing milk does not kill yeast. After treatment is finished, any leftover milk that was expressed during the infection should be discarded."

:thumbup:

whats the earliest you can start to express? Technically, you can start to express when your milk comes in a couple of days after the birth. However, general advice seems to be to wait until your supply is well established - when your baby is about 6 weeks old. You produce milk on a 'supply and demand' basis, so the more you express, the more you make.

what time is best to express to build up a stock in the freezer? Levels of the hormone Prolactin (which controls milk production) are at their highest at night, and I think it's recommended to express either once during the night, or first thing in the morning. (I found I could get greatest volumes just after I woke up!)

how long does milk last for when not put in the fridge/freezer? I think it can be stored at room temperature for up to ten hours, but personally, I'd stick it in the fridge as quick as I could.

Yes :)

do you heat breast milk to the same temp as formula when using from the fridge? I never did - I let it defrost, and then maybe dipped it in a pan of warm water to take the chill off it - but it doesn't need heating to boiling point or anything.

Storing breast milk
You can store breast milk in a sterilised container:
in the fridge for up to five days at 4°C or lower
for two weeks in the ice compartment of a fridge
for up to six months in a freezer
Breast milk must always be stored in a sterilised container. If you use a pump, always sterilise it before and after use.
Defrosting frozen breast milk
If you have frozen your milk, defrost it in the fridge before giving it to your baby. Once it’s defrosted, use it straight away. Milk that's been frozen is still good for your baby and better than formula milk. Don't re-freeze milk once it's thawed.
Warming breast milk
You can feed expressed milk straight from the fridge if your baby is happy to drink it cold. Or you can warm the milk to body temperature by placing the bottle in lukewarm water.
Don’t use a microwave to heat up or defrost breast milk as it can cause hot spots, which can burn your baby's mouth.

nhs guidelines ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"