breastfeeding questions?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by kes_a, Jan 28, 2011.

1. kes_a

kes_a Well-Known Member

hope someone can help me. i have put this in breast feeding room to.i forgot to ask the midwife a few questions at the last antenatal class.

whats the earliest you can start to express?

what time is best to express to build up a stock in the freezer?

how long does milk last for when not put in the fridge/freezer?

if i decided to have a night out with the husband and end up having a few drinks,would it be ok to feed with frozen milk for 24hrs to let the alcohol out of my system and express at normal feeding times and chuck that milk away?

do you heat breast milk to the same temp as formula when using from the fridge?

2. Lilly12

Lilly12 Mommy & #2 on board

:thumbup:

3. lousielou

lousielou Mummy

whats the earliest you can start to express? Technically, you can start to express when your milk comes in a couple of days after the birth. However, general advice seems to be to wait until your supply is well established - when your baby is about 6 weeks old. You produce milk on a 'supply and demand' basis, so the more you express, the more you make.

what time is best to express to build up a stock in the freezer? Levels of the hormone Prolactin (which controls milk production) are at their highest at night, and I think it's recommended to express either once during the night, or first thing in the morning. (I found I could get greatest volumes just after I woke up!)

how long does milk last for when not put in the fridge/freezer? I think it can be stored at room temperature for up to ten hours, but personally, I'd stick it in the fridge as quick as I could.

if i decided to have a night out with the husband and end up having a few drinks,would it be ok to feed with frozen milk for 24hrs to let the alcohol out of my system and express at normal feeding times and chuck that milk away?
    Yes :)

do you heat breast milk to the same temp as formula when using from the fridge? I never did - I let it defrost, and then maybe dipped it in a pan of warm water to take the chill off it - but it doesn't need heating to boiling point or anything.

4. kes_a

kes_a Well-Known Member

thanks ladies

5. evewidow

evewidow 2 boys and a girl ♥

Storing breast milk
    You can store breast milk in a sterilised container:
    in the fridge for up to five days at 4°C or lower
    for two weeks in the ice compartment of a fridge
    for up to six months in a freezer
    Breast milk must always be stored in a sterilised container. If you use a pump, always sterilise it before and after use.
    Defrosting frozen breast milk
    If you have frozen your milk, defrost it in the fridge before giving it to your baby. Once it’s defrosted, use it straight away. Milk that's been frozen is still good for your baby and better than formula milk. Don't re-freeze milk once it's thawed.
    Warming breast milk
    You can feed expressed milk straight from the fridge if your baby is happy to drink it cold. Or you can warm the milk to body temperature by placing the bottle in lukewarm water.
    Don’t use a microwave to heat up or defrost breast milk as it can cause hot spots, which can burn your baby's mouth.

nhs guidelines ^^