Breastfeeding, teething and - ouch! - bit nipple!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by poppy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. poppy

poppy Mum of Three

My son is teething and has one tooth already through. The last few days he seems to be getting another one through and has seemed to be 'grazing' on my nipples! IT IS REALLY SORE! :hissy: In fact, today, I have actually had a bit of bleeding out of one nipple - it is really painful.

What do I do?:cry:

I would like to continue breastfeeding for a bit longer and have, up until now, really enjoyed it. The last day or so, however, I am dreading feeds due to the pain in the nipples. Suggestions and advice would be extremely welcome.

:hugs:

2. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

My boys did that too, I would just tell them sternly no when they bit and if they did it again I would take them off the breast for a few minutes so they knew if they did it they couldn't nurse. They really got it fast. When Hayden got his top 2 teeth that was a big adjustment because I could feel them rub the entire time he nursed and I was so sore for probably about a week but then my body adjusted and it didn't bother me anymore

3. Samantha675

Samantha675 Maybe baby #3?!?

I noticed the same thing with Brenn's teeth. Try to work on his positioning, I noticed if I don't have Brenn's head tilted right, then his teeth tend to graze more, and it does hurt.

4. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

This sounds a bit harsh but I push her head towards the breast so her nose blocks - she wants to breath more than she wants to bite!! I prefer not to use 'no' but that's just me personally. :D