breastfeeding to sleep

flowers04

mummy to 2 princesses
Reaction score
my lo only falls asleep when i feed her - day and night- has anyone experienced this and how did you overcome it?

i have just fed her three times in one hour because i have tried to put her down but she wakes up crying - she's been really clingy past few days

Hey my LO was the same when he was newborn but he's 8 weeks now and seem to have grown out of it however he still nurses to sleep at bedtime. When I'm trying to get him to sleep I usually carry him about (not ideal for some people but I don't mind) and he settles within about 10 mins.

xx

my lo is 3 months - yeah i try rocking too - my arms are aching hehe

thanks

i have the same problem, he will sleep for my oh but when he's with me he just wants to eat!! so i end up feeding him to sleep as i get back ache and arm ache trying to walk and jig him to sleep. i guess its laziness on my part as its easier to comfort him with feeding, but he's still young so i wont worry too much. might have to try self soothing a bit more when he hits 4-6 months.....not too sure how to approach it yet. i couldnt let him cry to sleep.

Poppy still does this!!

But in the last few weeks she's gone to bed awake and not cried, which she never did before. So i think they do grow out of it eventually....

Aisling used to do this but at about 4 months it became harder and harder to get her to fall asleep on the boob, I could be at it for 40 minutes until she'd eventually go and I'd commando crawl out of her room! I decided to stop trying and start her on self settling as it seemed a natural point. I'd shush and pat her in her cot until she went to sleep and it meant she started to wake less in the night :hugs:

my lo still does this i used to worry about it too but have just come to accept it now, to be honest it is partly lazyness on my part cos its just the simplest and quickest way to get him to go back to sleep! but reading this article made me realise that it is a perfectly natural healthy thing to do that only helps your bond with your baby. https://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/comfortnursing.html

I did this all the time with Tabs, i always fed her at naps and at bedtime. She's only just learned to sleep on her own, the only thing i wouldnt do is feed her back to sleep at night...

I bought the book 'no cry sleep solution' Its really good, is made specially for BF and the author did the same just feeding her son back to sleep.

Tabs now sleeps on her own and sleeps well i still feed her at night, but i can feed her, take her off and then put her in her cot and she'll sleep :happydance:

TBH though i tihnk it just took time and she understood that she could sleep herself :hugs:

I still feed Ed to sleep and he's 13months. He will however go into his cot for the first part of the night then he wakes up, I feed him and he will NOT go back into his cot. As long as you and LO are happy I don't think it's a problem

I do this, i dont have any advice as i avnt over come this either. Im just waiting for the 6 month mark to wean and then hopefully the solids will make him more naturally tired! (yeah right!) I dont mind tho, just thought id say yr not alone! x

Ditto!

We've made progress in that he now comes off whilst ever so slightly awake then gets comfy and sleeps on my arm whereas I used to have to prise my nipple free after he'd dropped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"