breathing movement?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by diamondgem27, Nov 15, 2011.

1. diamondgem27

diamondgem27 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else experience their bump moving up and down as though their baby is breathing? It is really strange and I have noticed it a few times. Is it normal? X

2. Gretaa

Gretaa Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a baby - it's your blood pumping through the body and even if you're not breathing it looks like your whole belly is moving up and down.

3. cinnamum

cinnamum Mumof_6_PREG W#7

naaa nice thought but thats your blood pumping xxxxx

4. Mazzy

Mazzy Well-Known Member

You are correct - It is practice breathing. It happens all the time... Look up practice breathing on Google. Supposedly it's hard to see, but lots of women see it, especially if you were to get an ultrasound, the tech would show your baby practicing. Basically, the baby is inhaling amniotic fluid to get his or her lungs prepared for breathing later on. I have seen this myself since about the middle of month 6. He also hiccupped like crazy for the longest time, but he's done less of that in the last week.

Actually, just do a search on BnB and you will see a lot of posts on this subject, with lots of women suggesting it's something else but the vast majority have experienced it and do say it's practice breathing. I know from my own experience it is not my heartbeat or hiccups or blood pumping. The bump is moving up and down independently, and sometimes during that movement, he kicks - so you know it's all him.

5. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

I have had this once the other day, it was crazy and defo not my own pulse, it was much softer. My baby is very close to my skin with no fat inbetween so maybe easier to see.

6. ProudMum

ProudMum Well-Known Member

I was about to say, its most certainly the baby. I had it with all 3 and was watching this little one doing it earlier.. :) hes been doing it for a while...

7. shanti01

shanti01 Guest

It definitely is the baby as I heard and read a lot about this. I actually could see it clearly last night and it was so cute.

8. luvmyfam

luvmyfam Well-Known Member

Yep its breathing movements! Early on they start "practice breathing" which helps their muscles gert ready to do it full time outside the womb! Once they get big enough you can sometimes see the movements!

9. diamondgem27

diamondgem27 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies, I thought I was going crazy Hehe. Glad its not just me x

10. Loobyloo30

Loobyloo30 Mummy to one

Oh wow is that what it is? Ive had it a few times now! Awwwwww how cute :) xx