Breech Baby - ECV next week

sw121

Mum of 1
Reaction score
well I went for my growth scan today and baby is still breech. I've been booked in for ECV next Wednesday. Not looking forward to it - I found it uncomfortable enough today having the sonographer and doctor prodding around my tummy. The doctor says there's a 40-50% success rate because it's my first pregnancy, although after she felt my tummy she said she was optimistic baby could be turned, as it's bum is not too far down into my pelvis and my tummy is soft.

If that fails, I'm booked in for c-section on 17th June, which sounds scarily close now!

Just wondering what other first timers experiences were of ECV?

Oh exciting!!!

My Anna was breech all through my first pregnancy!

We went for an ECV at 38+5, attempted twice and it was soooo painful I had to ask them to stop - they couldnt move baby either!

I was supposedly perfect candidate with a tiny baby and tiny bump!

I am glad I gave it a shot, but I will never do it again!!

If this baby is a stubborn breech then I will happily have a c-section - I had a fantastic c-section experience!!

My friend and I both had breech babies til 38+wks - both failed ECVs. I have heard a few successful stories on here, but nowhere near 50%.

I hope baby turns or the ECV works.

Only yesterday I met up with a friend who's baby is breech, the ECV she had few days ago didn't work so they booked her in for a c section today and when she turned up they told her baby had turned by itself so the c section was cancelled! They had warned her that could happen, apparently it's not uncommon so even if the ECV doesn't work on the day still may happen!

Good luck!

Iv been told my baby is breech, will have a scan in a couple weeks though to double check..

I wont be opting for the EVC though so it be a C Section for me.. Hope everything goes well!

I was offered the EVC yesterday as baby is sat like a budda - I declined it as 40-50% isn't enough to convince me it's a good idea. I don't like the idea of manipulating baby into a position they obviously don't want to be in. My MIL's 2nd baby was breech and was successfully turned twice and turned back to breech...twice lol.

Section for me is booked on the 13th. Good luck with your EVC hun.

What do they actually do to try and turn baby? Mine is breech and I'm almost 36 weeks.

Got check up next Thursday and if they still think it's breech it will be confirmed by scan.

I had a failed ecv a couple of months ago but had to have a section in the end. They monitor you for a while to see how the baby is and scan to make sure it is still breech. Then they give you an injection in the side of your tummy to relax the muscles. After 5 mins they lift the bum out of the pelvis and try to rotate the head. It didn't work but I am still glad I tried.

Good luck :hugs:

Does it hurt? I had a read up last night after reading this thread. I would imagine it does as they hurt me when feeling where the head and bum are.

They've told me they only give an injection in some cases, depending on how relaxed your womb is already. The hospital uses the phrase "uncomfortable" but most people I've spoken to who've had it have said it is painful. My tummy hurt enough yesterday after the doctor had a good prod around, so I'm not looking forward to it.

I got a bit upset about it last night. BF said we'll go on wednesday to see if baby has turned and then make a decision about whether to proceed to ECV. In my mind though I just think that it can't be worse than recovering from a c-section, so must be worth a try, even if it causes pain.

FXd baby turns by them selves....mine is also breech and i do not want a ECV..but do not want a c-sec even more so...have you been on you tube and watched an EVC....or look up positions to get into to aid the baby to turn...all worth a go...especially if you get a normal viginal birth...:hugs:

Hi girls. My baby kept turning from breech to head down, I went to be induced last Friday and she was breech. I didn't know but I was already fairly well into labour, although the midwife told me they were tightenings not contractions. I was sent down to the consultant who scanned me and tried her hardest to turn her. She only got her transverse and she refused to go any further so she put her back. We were going to discuss whether she'd do a sweep and give me a couple of days to go into natural labour and have her vaginally. However Rosie had other ideas and my tightenings stepped up a notch and she examined me, I was 8cm and my waters were bulging!! So I ended up in labour ward and had to make a decision on c sec or not, but as she was footling breech not frank breech I opted for c sec. Anyway got bit off topic. Even though I was having contractions the ECV wasn't that bad and I didn't get chance to have the injection to relax me. It wasn't the nicest or most comfortable experience but I'd opt to have it again if I was in the same position. But if you do end up c sec because of breech baby that was also a lot less horrible than I expected, and I was petrified of having one. Good luck ladies and I hope those naughty babies use their sat nav and turn round for you!!

FXd baby turns by them selves....mine is also breech and i do not want a ECV..but do not want a c-sec even more so...have you been on you tube and watched an EVC....or look up positions to get into to aid the baby to turn...all worth a go...especially if you get a normal viginal birth...:hugs:

I don't know if I want to watch it being done - are the videos on you tube reassuring or scary? I'm spending time on the floor with my bum up in the air and my head on the floor - although I can't hold that position for long. I'm also laying with my hips elevated once a day, plus swimming when I can. I'm also sitting on my birthing ball when watching TV as we've read it helps to open the pelvis up which provides more room for baby to move.

erm....some are re-assuring some are .....not so re-assuruing, it all depends on the type of breech they are and how big the babies are....sounds like your doing all you can, i did that,"bum in air" position and im sure my LO turned, i just cant work his position out anymore...:dohh:

Well I went to the hospital today for the ECV. I laid there with the baby being monitored for 1.5 hours (the consultant got waylaid somewhere else). When he arrived, he had one good feel around and within about 30 seconds he said there was no way he was going to be able to turn baby. He said baby is too big and it's bum is too low down in my pelvis. He was really good - he said there was no point trying as he would only hurt me and in his experience this kind of baby would not turn anyway.

So booked in for a section next week!

Oh bless you. I got clinic tomorrow where they will have another feel, will be 2 or 3 midwives again to see if they all agree. If not I've got to travel 40 miles to the hospital where scan machine is to find out what's next.

The thought of a csection scares me to be honest, plus I would imagine they must do it before our due date too and I'm not prepared as it is lol

Good stuff - my ECV was awful. Anna was stuck into my pelvis too and did not budge even though we attempted twice.

C-section was fine- we had a great experience.

C-sections done around 39+wks, ours was 39+3:flower:

What's the recovery after a section? How long do they keep you in for? How long does it take to get back to normality? I'm a single mum and will need to get straight back to it. Will I beable too?

Aww .. At least the doc just said no instead of trying and hurting you when he knew it wouldn't work!

What date is ur c section booked for ?

I got my app mon for them to check if they think she's still breech, if it's a yeah then il be sent for a scan following week ...

I'm scared of a evc but I'm also scared of a c section! I really didn't want to be in the hospital longer then 8 hrs after birth, planned to leave ASAP but if I have a C section then surley u HAVE to stay in hospital at least 1-2 nights ?

If i can give birth vaginally my local hospital will let me out after 2 hours if all is well. I'm having enough hassle getting somebody to watch my kids now nevermind days on end. I'm praying it's head down

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"