Breech baby Fiona's arrival by "emergency" CS at 37 weeks

Rhiannon137

Reaction score
I learned at my 32 week appointment that my baby had flipped to breech at some point in the previous 3 weeks. I spent a month doing everything under the sun (swimming, yoga, chiropractic treatments, acupuncture, and finally an unsuccessful external cephalic version) to try to flip her, but she was having none of that. She was in a semi-transverse frank breech position, and a C section would be the only way to get her out safely. After the uncomplicated, unmedicated vaginal delivery of my son, I was very disappointed , but glad to live in a time when medicine had a relatively easy answer to our problem. I had made my peace with the necessity if the CS, but was sad that I would lose out on the surprise element of when the baby was coming, and nervous that other emergencies might delay the scheduled procedure and just leave me waiting nervously at the hospital for hours before they started. Little did I know...

I had my ~37 week checkup scheduled late last Friday morning to discuss when to schedule my CS, and to ask my long list of questions about it. I never made it to that appointment because my water broke at 5 am that day and things started happening really fast! We called a neighbor to come stay with our son and headed straight for the hospital as we had been instructed to do.

We got to the hospital a little before 6 and, while they were drawing routine labs and setting up the monitors, one of the docs said they would probably take me back right after the scheduled 8 am CS. However, a quick exam revealed that I was actually in labor and dilated to 5 cm. Needless to say, I was the person who delayed other people's scheduled procedures that day. There was never any real danger, but things went forwards at a pace that allowed for minimal questioning and overthinking what was about to happen. The spinal and surgery were both better than I expected, and I was holding Fiona around 7:30.

We came home Sunday afternoon and everyone is doing great so far - even the toddler. I suspect we're in a bit of an "I love BabySissa" honeymoon phase, but I'm going to ride the wave for as long as I can.

Congratulations, terrific to hear that everything went well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->