Broken Condom (Just a little)

lailai

Reaction score
Alright. I know I might sound dumb. And maybe I'm posting in the wrong forum. If so, I'm sorry. I'm feeling dumb. But has anyone here gotten pregnant from a condom that was just a 'little' broken.

Last night I noticed a tear in the condom when I removed it from DH. (About a 1/4 Inch. I noticed when some of it fell out the top onto my hand.) There was still a fair amount of sperm in the condom. But also he hadn't ejaculated in about 36 hours so I imagine it was a bigger load (sorry if this is TMI.) Long of the short, I don't know how much sperm could have actually gotten into me (I know - I sound dumb. If we were talking STDs I would be like "it only takes a drop" but for some reason pregnancy feels different.)

We are not trying to conceive but I have started to use OPK and track my temperature. (I'm 35 and trying to get a sense of my fertility - also got AMH tests done, etc - all seems good except I have slightly elevated testosterone tho not PCOS.) I also know that I had EWCM (I only figured this out after the fact while googling. But it would appear I did have it. I am really new to this conception thing.)

So we had sex at about midnight last night. At 11am this morning I got a positive for LH on my OPK. I've been reading these forums like a fiend and it seems like an LH surge could still be 48 hours before an egg drops.

It is day 11 of my cycle, which is between 25-26 days long.

I had a temp dip this morning about half a degree. I still don't really understand what the temp dips are about but I gather you get the temp rise AFTER you ovulate. So I haven't ovulated yet, at least according to this temp thing (which I still don't really understand...)

I understand that sperm CAN live for up to five days inside of me. But that most sperm do not live that long. I also understand that my ovulation could be as much as 36 hours or more after the LH surge. And finally, the condom caught at least some of the sperm (I have no idea how much ended up inside me but it would appear at least some of it did.)

Reading these forums has made me think that getting pregnant is a lot less likely than I had thought. Any given month looks to be just 25 percent assuming all variables are perfect.

What I'm asking is: If it's a broken condom, where not all the semen got inside of me, and I'm still at least a day away from ovulation, and it is the only time I will have sex during my fertile window (he left for a work trip this morning) is there really any likelihood that I could get pregnant? Add to this that I'm 35 (although I have been pregnant once before, ending is a miscarriage, about four years ago. It was a surprise, both the start and the end.)

Sorry for all the detail... Although we are not trying I guess if this were positive it would be meant to be. And we're ready enough. I'm just trying to psychologically prepare.

It is definitely possible! If semen did get inside of you, the chances of you getting pregnant are really no different than if you were actually trying without a condom. If it didn't get inside, well, you know the answer to that. It's so hard to say without knowing if the escapees got loose on the inside, or if the pressure of taking the condom off caused the first leakage.

You are now in the TWW - hang in there! Try to prepare yourself mentally for either scenario, and definitely talk to your DH. The funny thing is, we often stay quiet during the TWW in order to protect or not bother our other half, but we are using those two weeks to process how we are going to feel about a positive test or AF arriving. Our other half doesn't get that chance to process and prepare if we don't let them know what's going on, so the news is often much more shocking to them and they don't always react as we wish they would.

Talking about either possible scenario may also help you make different decisions about birth control moving forward. If the pregnancy scare was something you both don't want to experience again, perhaps another method would be useful to explore. If you find you would both be disappointed if you aren't pregnant this cycle, maybe it's time to talk about trying!

It is definitely possible! If semen did get inside of you, the chances of you getting pregnant are really no different than if you were actually trying without a condom. If it didn't get inside, well, you know the answer to that. It's so hard to say without knowing if the escapees got loose on the inside, or if the pressure of taking the condom off caused the first leakage.

You are now in the TWW - hang in there! Try to prepare yourself mentally for either scenario, and definitely talk to your DH. The funny thing is, we often stay quiet during the TWW in order to protect or not bother our other half, but we are using those two weeks to process how we are going to feel about a positive test or AF arriving. Our other half doesn't get that chance to process and prepare if we don't let them know what's going on, so the news is often much more shocking to them and they don't always react as we wish they would.

Talking about either possible scenario may also help you make different decisions about birth control moving forward. If the pregnancy scare was something you both don't want to experience again, perhaps another method would be useful to explore. If you find you would both be disappointed if you aren't pregnant this cycle, maybe it's time to talk about trying!

Thank you for this thoughtful and empathetic response. It actually hadn't occurred to me that I should process with DH. And I think you are right - the shock would not be great for either of us. Good advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->