Brown/Black Period

sarah54

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I thought my period was starting but for the last 3 days it has only been brown/black blood/discharge.

Is this normal? Should I be going to see my doctor? Could I still be pregnant, or is this my period?

Thank you!!

Where are you in your cycle? And have you recently come off BC?

If you're 10-12dpo it could be IB. If you have recently come off BC, your cycles may have changed. Mine did. I now have that for 3 days before AF starts which never happened before.

good luck! It could be IB! If AF doesnt start in the next week, and you dont get a BFP then it may be worth seeing your GP :)

My period blood used to be browny coloured but now it is super duper bright red! Also lots of woman bleed or spot in pregnancy, is there any chance you could be early pregnant x

Since being off birth control I get 1-3 days of spotting before AF...it ranges from light brown, to very dark brown, deep red, and bright red.

Some women spot for days before AF really comes. It's all normal.

But black? That seems like another story...if you truly get black (and not just very dark brown mixed with dark red that can look black) I would call my doctor.

I've had the same thing going on forever. I spot black/brown blood for a full week then have my normal period for another week (14 days of bleeding). We have been TTC for a year since our loss last April and NTNP for about a year prior to that. Finally went to the doctor and I'm not ovulating regularly. Im having Anovulatory bleeding. He wants me to go on bc pills for 2 months but I am hesitate. I hate taking medication. I would go to the dr whether Ur ttc or not to make sure nothing else is going on like infection. They screened me for infection as well as did an ultrasound. Good luck!

The dark brown/black color means the blood is older blood. That its not being expelled from your body quickly.

Thank you for the responses ladies.
I came off BC pills the end of February. I have yet to have a period so maybe this could be my first period.
We have been trying to conceive since I came off the pills so I'm really hoping it's implantation bleeding. Although I'm not holding out hope.
I'm still only having brown/black "blood" I have yet to see any red blood.

Yea I started having brown/black bleeding before AF after I came off implanon. If It lasts more than...4 days I believe is the longest, then its very unlikely that its IB, but good luck :)

Agree with Destiny, I had the exact same thing. Red blood should follow.

I tested this morning and it's negative. It's still just brown no red yet. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't change to red soon I'm going to go back to my doctor.

I'm not too sure when AF is due, my cycles have been a bit wonky. I think I am 14 dpo.

57.9% of all first cycles after discontinuing oral contraceptives were ovulatory (identified with BBT shift) with sufficient luteal phases (greater than 10 days).

10.24% of all first cycles after discontinuing oral contraceptives were not ovulatory (compared with 3.44% of control group). Significant differences also appeared in the second and third cycles after discontinuing oral contraceptives.

Cycles were longer in the post-pill group up to cycle number 12.
Cycle disturbances (defined as a luteal phase length of less than 10 days or a cycle length greater than 35 days) were more frequent in the post-pill group until the seventh cycle.

Cycle disturbances after discontinuing oral contraceptives were reversible but regulation took up to nine months or longer
You might want to make an appt to see ur doctor if you don't get regular AF, or bfp in the next couple days. This is info that was published in the journal "gynecological endocrinology" by Dr. C Gnoth.

Thank you for the information jzgrace!

It looks like the brown period/discharge has finally stopped. It never turned red and my cervix has stayed high/soft and high/medium - it never dropped to low at all.

I'm not sure what to think!!

Thank you for the information jzgrace!

It looks like the brown period/discharge has finally stopped. It never turned red and my cervix has stayed high/soft and high/medium - it never dropped to low at all.

I'm not sure what to think!!

When my cp went high like that it was O day for me. Some women have said that their cervix never dropped back down after O and it stayed soft through early pregnancy! How long have you been checking cp/cm?

I've been checking cp/cm since cd31 (I think I ov'd cd 32/33). I'm currently on cd48.

I've been checking cp/cm since cd31 (I think I ov'd cd 32/33). I'm currently on cd48.

Its so crazy to be able to know and experience the way "things" change there. Ewcm is the most fertile and i had that the day before O. The day of and after there was a lot less. But with my cp check it went high and soft, it blended in with everything else. Just weird. Fx for you Sarah!!

How many DPO are you? Are you trying for #1?

How many DPO are you? Are you trying for #1?

Ttc#3.. Just one more!! I'm 5dpo. And feeling cramps. I never get cramps til after AF shows, hours after to half a day. So I'm hopeful!
I kinda think its too early for me to have symptoms. With my two girls I found out early(well 6 weeks or so) (wasn't TTC then) cause I have really bad morning sickness when pregnant. But this might be different. Actually the second one I found out early cause I had a single glass of wine aat a resteraunt and it felt like I drank the whole bottle. I was peeing a lot too but didn't put the two together. I was in certification class and the third time I had to go, my instructor made a joke and said"what r u pregnant?" I laughed it off and a week later BOOM! BFP. UR TTC #2 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"