Buggy advice - can you help me?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by london_gal, Jan 27, 2011.

1. london_gal

london_gal Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I'm dragging my OH buggy shopping this weekend and I wondered if anyone had any tips or advice. We live in London, in a smallish flat, on the third floor (with no lifts!). We also have a Ford Ka. So we're looking for a buggy suitable from birth, which is really light, compact and can be easily folded or carried up stairs. Ideally I want something which can be used with an additional car seat too. But as a new mum to be, who hasn't even looked at a buggy yet, I am really hoping you ladies can offer any advice on which buggies could work for us, or what we should look for.

My mum has suggested the Bugaboo Bee Plus - is this suitable, does anyone know? My friend has recommended the Baby Jogger City Mini - anyone used one of these for newborns???

Any help is much appreciated, as I'm so confused by the huge array of buggies and options!!!!

2. lupi

lupi Well-Known Member

I have and lllooovvvvee my jogger mini- I bought a huge travel system for off roading with my first and soon realised i couldnt lift it in my boot got stuck in doors took clothes off rails in shops and got my mini (ebay bargain) so he was in it at about 5 months. This time round i dont want to give it up so have bought the pram and adjusters that fits a maxi cozi car seat- got carry cot for £5er off ebay too, so if it only lasts 3 months im not bothered. I had to do alot of digging to get it all to fit and what i needed but I spotted the travel system in kiddicare the other day- deff check it out

3. Ang3l

Ang3l Pregnant after loss

We got the Petite Star Zia +. Its folds up really small, is light and easy to carry around and also very light and easy to use. It is suitable from birth as well and it even fits in my mum's tiny, tiny boot which is a Chevorlet Matiz. It was a nightmare trying to get something to fit in her car (its kind of our main method of transport at the minute as we have no car yet and im trying to pass my test) and this was the only buggy that fitted, everything else was too big so if it fits in her boot it would fit in a Ford Ka.

Hope this helps :)

4. discoclare

discoclare Well-Known Member

If I had my time again and budget was no object (I live in a tiny flat in London too) I would get a Bugaboo Bee Plus, a lot of my friends have them and they're really light and compact.

5. mummymadness

mummymadness Mummy to 4

Petite star zia
    quinny buzz
    bebe confort lola
    Luna
    streety
    skate

All them fit in hun xxx

6. wubba

wubba Mother of 3

I'd recommend the bugaboo bee. I've got this (the original model), and it is excellent. It faces both ways. It takes a car seat. With the cocoon it is like a proper pram, but it folds easily, in one piece. It is really light and easy to carry. It is really small folded. It pushes like a dream too and is really good quality.The bee + is what you get now, but I expect this is very similar. :thumbup::flower::happydance:

7. secretbaby

secretbaby Well-Known Member

My friend has a Petite Star Zia (can often be found on the nursery value site reconditioned for a fraction of the price if you wanted one as a second buggy). I VERY nearly got this one... as my friend so rates hers (she had a huge travel system that she hated before the zia!)

I got the Petite Star City bug travel system - bigger but is travel system and has big shopping basket which is what I wanted... I got mine reconditioned of nursery value! two tiny weeny scratches which will be hidden by the wheels and no cup holder... but was £80 chearper.

8. someoldgirl

someoldgirl Well-Known Member

I have the Bee and would recommend it for your circumstances xx

9. surreysharon

surreysharon Mum to Harry born @ 36wks

I live on a 2nd floor flat and tested the weight of prams extensively. The lightest two are either the icandy cherry or the babystyle oyster. Both can be used with maxi cosi car seats, you need adaptors for both.

Icandy
    Pushchair £330 approx
    Car seat adaptors £30
    Carrycot (if you want this) £130

Oyster - i chose this one for price
    Pushchair £249
    Maxi cosi adaptors £18
    carrycot £95

https://www.pramworld.co.uk/index.h...ameID&quicksearch=babystyle%oyster&sortType=2

10. london_gal

london_gal Well-Known Member

Thank you so much ladies! This is really helpful, as I just didn't know where to start! :)

11. Spockette

Spockette Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I haven't had my little one yet but we have purchased the Bugaboo Bee plus!!! I live in a flat on the first floor in the heart of London so I needed something that had the following:

- Forward and Rear facing
    - Car Seat compatable
    - Incredibly light weight
    - Can be folded up with the seat still attached to the chasis.

The Bugaboo Bee Plus has all of the above!

The only downside of this buggy is its price!!

Good luck xxx

12. Perdita

Perdita waiting and wondering

I've got the bebeconfort (maxi cosi really) streety and it folds up great even with the stroller seat in place. It's around £250 with a car seat and can get a carry got for around £100 - £125 but the seat does have a lie flat position and it faces both ways which is good especially at that price and it does seem pretty stury to me - and the folding/opening is really easy - took no time at all to get the hang of it!
    Good luck
    x

13. allyk

allyk Mummy to DD, Preg with #2

i cannot comment on the pushchairs mentioned as i didnt look at them!!! However i would highly recommend taking a drive to kiddicare in peterborough they have an entire flor of pushchairs/travel systems etc made by all makes .. they also do free delivery, you can check prices online on thier computers and the store is big enough for you to be able to give the pushchairs a proper test drive including puting them up and down and lifting them etc... we also got to try the car seat in the car (as some don't fit certain cars!!) i'm sure they would let you try putting the pushchair in the boot as well...

HIghly recommnded coming from someone who was dead set on a silvercross but changed my mind when i went there and am so glad i did.. I cant wait to use my new travel system :happydance: