Bumgenius <3 tried and tested cloth nappy

mrscookie

Mama and expecting
Reaction score
I have been using this brand of cloth all in one nappy now since they started fitting Lylah when she was 6 weeks old, and I think they are brilliant. I honestly thought it was a mistake buying them because I became used to disposables, but they are easy.
They are from birth-potty (Ly was only 6lb 3 born so bit small) they have poppers to make them bigger as baby grows. There is adjustable velcro straps for a snug fit, removable liners + extra liners for a super soiler baby lol. I also noticed when I wash them, they come out of the washing machine fairly dry already, I just pop them on a clothes horse for a couple of hours. The best bit is the fact they are all in one, so no annoying extra water proofed layer to go ontop.
plus they come in some groovy colours too. No they have not paid me to say this hahaha, I am just pleased with them as I know it will save me money in the long run. Any mums interested, i'd recommend buying one and see how you get on, its always best to try a few brands to get the right ones for you.
Oh and just to add, I use flushable paper liners inside the nappy, so I can just take the liner and throw it down the loo/into a nappy bag so the nappies dont get messy, and for the times they do get messy, a quick blast under the tap and chuck in the washing machine.
https://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/CottonBabies/bumgenius/BG%20AIO/bumGenius-All-In-One-features-600.jpg

hiya.

I've got a thread goin at the moment about cloth nappies, they're just a minefield!!
Through the nappylady.com i was advised bumgenius might be best for our personal needs but it did say they leak some because there's no waterproof wrap. I did ask some of the ladies that recommended them but as you have a little girl aswell i was just wondering how you found these nappies for containment? Do they leak much or soak through to clothing? how many times a day do you change your LO? thanks in advance :hugs:

I'm contemplating these myself, but not sure about the disposable liner. Do you always use the disposable liner?

We have only had a couple of leaks but only from my own error of not doing the velcro tight enough so it leaked wee out of the leg hole. But now Im used to it it never leaks. Its how you put the nappy on. They come with 2 internal liners, one newborn one and a larger one for when they are older and the volume of nappy content is larger, and when they get to toddler you combine the 2 liners. The reason I use disposible liners at the moment is because, as you know baby poo is squidgy, and on the instructions it says '' just shake poop down the toilet'' well, that cant exactly happen when the poop is squidgy, so til her poops solidify into a mass that can be shaken into the toilet I will use flushable paper liners (dirt cheap)
The lilbump-
The ones I have are the one size nappies, so the outer layer is waterproof, if has a soft outer but inside is almost rubbery to prevent the wee soaking through, then ontop of the rubbery layer is a very vefy soft layer which is against the babies bum.
https://www.bumgenius.com/one-size.php there is a video on that page to show how they work but they look nothing like the ones I use lmao.
that is a link to the ones I use. Fully waterproofed outer.
I have them in pink, yellow and white
xx

We were using Gdiapers which have the same idea as the flushable liner, but they were anything but cheap! 40 liners ran around $20, whereas disposables are $22 for 72 diapers. What liners do you use? Is it a UK brand or possibly something we can get here in North America?

Sorry for all the Q's hun! Thanks for answering!

all it is in a simple paper liner on a roll of about 100, like this
https://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/acatalog/n1092.jpg

and you just tear one off and put inside the nappy, the internal cloth liners catch the pee, while the paper one catches the poops, and you just peel the liner off the baby (sticks to them lol) and throw away, and wipe baby with wipes like normal. easy squeasy.
The paper liners you can get on ebay etc... I think mine were 99p I just search 'disposible nappy liner' on ebay
x

https://cgi.ebay.com/Flushable-Biod...hash=item400041072465&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

something simliar there, but a teeny but more money, not much though.

xx

Those look so comfy ..I think 10 months is too old to start on my son but for my next child I will be using those

I haven't tried these...ours that are similar are sized, not one size. We do have one size bumgenius but it's the organic aio versions and then the pockets.

These are the organic aio and I just tried them and LOVE them...they are great, so I just ordered 3 more
https://www.abbyslane.com/images/diagramorganicBG.jpg

The aio like you use..do you know what is inside them..like what is the absorbant part made of? I know their pockets use microfiber inserts...which I had a bunch of those diapers and after using them for like 6-7mo they started to smell so bad like ammonia I had o get rid of them, everything I tried to get rid of the smell didn't work and it was starting to actually give my son ammonia burns. So I worried about the same type of insert being in those? I've never used paper liners, to me it kind of defeated the purpose of cloth cause they still have the paper against their skin lol, so we bought a diaper sprayer and just spray out our diapers and they never stain. Or I'll put a fleece liner in there if it's one of my really expensive diapers that I'm scared could possibly stain haha

Im not sure of the material unfortunately. I know what you mean about the paper liners, but I only intend on using them til my babies poop becomes more solid. I have never heard of this spray, where can I get it?
xxxx

Tyff, liners are personal preference.

The paper liners are good as they are usually flushable. You can get cloth or fleece liners too though. I perfer not having paper against Niamh's bum, so I don't use liners at all. :)

rafwife, thanks for the blinkies, they are fab :D

Yeah totally personal preference with the liners. Im just scared of Lylahs bright yellow poop staining the perfect white inside of the nappy
hahaha
xxxx

Aw, you're welcome!

I stipped using liners one Niamhs poo was more solid. :)

So we bought the Bumgenius diapers today. It was great, if you bought more than 12 you got a 10% discount so that was great. Plus they sold the liners that Melbo spoke of right at the store! So once she has solid poops I might not worry about them anymore.

What detergent do you guys use? I had to buy a fragrance free, dye free, enzyme free yaddi yaddi yadda... do you ladies use the same?

I just use fairy none bio :D
No fabric softener
xx

oh good point...dont use fabric softener with cloth nappies as over time it builds up and makes them less absorbant. Also use only about 1/3 of the usual amount of detergent for the same reason :)

I got my diaper sprayer from abbyslane.com. It just attaches to the water line in the toilet and you just spray everything into there. I actually never had anything stain with breastfed poo..but I heard it's diff for every mom's milk, some does stain when other's doesn't.

I'm trying out Mountain Green for my detergent. I have no idea if yall have the same stuff, but here is a great site that says which are good for cloth and which to avoid

https://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

I do use fabric softener, but only on my natural fabrics, nothing wtih PUL and I only use Ecover

What a great site, Mommyof3co! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->