Burping/winding techniques for swaddled/sleeping newborn?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by 2ndontheway, Jun 3, 2011.

1. 2ndontheway

2ndontheway Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

I need some tips. My LO is almost 5 weeks old, and I'm having trouble getting burps out of her at night. I swaddle her and nurse her to sleep and then try to burp her, but it takes forever. She doesn't self settle yet, so I don't want to wake her to burp her. If I don't get a good burp, she squirms so much in her sleep that it keeps me from sleeping (her crib is next to my bed), and it usually wakes her up after a little while. Any tips/tricks? My son wasn't nearly this hard to burp. Thanks! :flower:

2. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

3. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

I would swaddle after burping. Could you imagine trying to burp when your all bundled up tight? X

4. shimmy

shimmy mummy , daddy and baby

I change positions, I try first in the sitting position then over my shoulder. I find that he burps on the move from sitting to shoulder . But he's always been a good burper lol

5. xCookieDough

xCookieDough Well-Known Member

Agreed with Shimmy - over the shoulder works great for my LO if she hasn't burped yet, the moment she goes over my shoulder it comes straight out lol
    __XO

6. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

If you burp her over your shoulder (chest compression, while swaddled) it should work. Some babies are quite hard to burp so a bit of gripe water can help.

7. emilyjade

emilyjade mummy of two!

both of mine NEVER burped at night hun, i always found starting from the bottom working my way up helps in the day if that fails over the shoulder x

8. hayleyet

hayleyet Well-Known Member

My 7week old has been a nightmare to burp from day one and if the air gets trapped he screams, got told by GP he had colic but as soon as I get his wind up he settles down so I think it's more the fact that he's rubbish at burping especially at night. I've got winding down to a fine art now!! Haha. I sit him up first and rub/pat quite firmly, then I lay him back and let him stretch out, I then sit him back up and tilt him as far left, right and forward as he'll go, i then tilt him in a circular motion leaning him forwards and then doing a circle like a clock so he goes sideways, backwards and then back to the front, then lift him up by the armpits so his body stretches upwards. Sometime the tilting/stretching brings up a massive burp on it's own (it's like the air was stuck and it's managed to work it's way up when he moves) if it doesn't I start the whole proccess again. I usually wind him for half an hour after a feed and he sleeps through the last 10/15mins. A health visitor showed me this way, people look at you like your a bit mad when you tilt them every way but it works wonders! I use infacol and if all else fails gripe water (put it into the teat of the bottle and let them drink it)
    I swaddled for the first few weeks and I used to swaddle after I'd winded, I agree with one of the above posts that it's probably difficult to burp all bunched up.
    Sorry if it's long, I hours of sleepless nights due to trapped wind I now feel winding would be my subject on mastermind!!! :)