• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Butter!!

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Ok I'm terrible for butter! I have to have it on sarnies & I need loads on tatos but I'm sure its not doing me the world of gd as far as eatting a little more wisely :oops:

Is there any alternative - I know people say flora but its rotten & even toast isn't toast with that stuff on it :shock:

So is there anything that tastes like butter that is better for us? :oops:

If you dont like margerine, have you tried an olive oil based spread like Olivio as this contains good healthy fats, and not evil artery busting, collesterol rising animal saturated fats like butter.

Also its worth noting that normal margerine isnt generally any lower in calories and fat than butter, unless you buy low fat marg, put as you can also buy low fat butter it doesnt really make any difference. They both basically are fat, and to reduce the fat they are mixed into an emolient using part fat and part water.

Olive oil contains EFA's which the body actaully needs, and can actually work to reduce colesterol.

So you would suggest an olive oil butter Cat?

What about lurpak < Think its that someone mentioned that to me once - Lower salt or something!

cat what olive oil spread would you reccomend? health and price wise, i cant help but notice that the prices are alot higher!! i get the huuuuuge tub of flora light for about £1.50

i have i cant beleive its not butter! Dunno if its any good healthwise though :lol:

Okay, as far as Im aware, without going and looking at the ingredients and content on packs. I cant believe its not butter is like a marg, so like mark it contains less saturated fats than butter as its made partially with vegitable oils and not animal fats, BUT still has around the same fat/calorie count as butter, just is better for your heart and colesterol.

Yvanne if your happy with flora light (this is what I have BTW)stick with it a its the helthest option, its lover fat than normal marg and butter, plus lower in saturated fats and now contains omega oils, so this is the best option by far.

As for those like Wobbles who dont like marg, try these alternatives Bertoli, or Tesco actually do their own brand 'healthy living olive light spread for just £1.06 a tub. or even cheaper value versions. Or you can always opt for Benecol the low colesterol spread, although Ihave no experience of this to know how it works or what its like.

Oh sorry Wobbles in answer to your question, Butter is normally quite high in salt, which is why you can get low salt ones like lurpak, but thats all it is, reducing your salt intake is better in general for your health, but wont help you lose weight as part of a diet.

So ideally flora (eek) or healthy living line of foods!

Do you guys notice it costs more to eat more healthy! Personally I just think thats WRONG!

Wobbles said:
So ideally flora (eek) or healthy living line of foods!

Do you guys notice it costs more to eat more healthy! Personally I just think thats WRONG!

The reason being is that people demand cheap food, so every effort is made to make cheap convenience food, hence cheap food is crap.

For instance to produce organic veg is a lot more hard work on the farmer, cause the land requires more work to make good, as fertilisers kill everything, and its a lot easier to do this and make the land barren then to properly 'farm' veg. Hence you pay a higher premium.

But actually you can eat healthily for the same price as eating fattening convenience foods. it just requires more preperation and thought, cause your not eating straight out of a packet. The money you save on making proper meals outweighs the money spent on using decent ingedients.

I also find it funny that a lot of people are happy to spend money buying nice clothes, make up and going out etc, but are not prepared to spend money on decent food!

Joking? I'm in desperate need of new clothes :rofl:

New year sales I hope will be good!

We bought healthy options a while back & we walked out with a weeks shopping for the same price as a months! :shock: I get paid monthly so prefer one trip to dp the main shop.

I've started on what pasta, best of both bread, brown rice next now a search for some decent yet nice spread for my toast & tatos!

What other small things can help - Any tips? :D

Well the changing to wholemeal options doesnt help with weight loss a huge amount, they are just a lot better for you and aid your digestion, blood sugar levels etc. And will fill you up more so you dont need to eat as frequently, hence some weight loss. What do you want to achieve weight loss or a healthier diet?

What I normally recomend is that you keep a food diary for a week, and then I can advise you on sustainale ways you can change your diet. That is always the key to dieting, if you try radical fad diets like atkins etc, what appens is you lose fat, water but also muscle tissue, which is what the bbody uses to burn fat, then typically people get to their desired weight and go back to eating exactly as they did before the diet, so just put the weight back on, and as they have less muscle tissue than before dieting they then tend to actually put on more weight than they had to start with as the body cant burn the fat as much as it could before. Hence its important to also exercise while dieting so you keep up the muscle tissue, and also why its important to adopt eating routines that you can keep up for life.

Oh and my other comment wasnt about yourself, but I know for example that my OH's work collegue spends only £20 an his and his partners food shopping for the week, and they eat utter crap! Yet he lives in designer lables, and always wants to show off having the best of everything, thows money at everything exept good food!

To give you an idea, my food shop for the three of us (with large appetites) is £75 a week, and this includes nappies, toiletries etc.

Oh I know :lol: Just know what you mean I'd love some new clothes though :lol: Do admit I begrudge some of the prices on todays shelves but I don't usually buy the cheaper options as they are usually rank so maybe it wouldn't be much more - The shop we did was all slimfast & weigh watchers meals, drinks, snacks etc.

Think our aim is to loose a little weight but start eatting more healthier & feel the difference! People say you can?

Right that will be why your food shopping cost a fortunre, cause you bought weight watchers and slim fast. Slim fast is evil for the reasons I mentioned before, cause as soon as you reach your desired weight you will go back to how you ate before, and but it all back on with extra!
Do you actually cook at all, or is it not something you enjoy? do you tend to opt for food you can stick in the oven with minimal preperation?

Eating healthier you will feel the difference, by not having refined carbs your blood sugar will not be as erratic, so you wont be prone to mood swings, plus general things like better skin, hair nails etc are the most noticable. Not as lethargic is another noticable thing. You may also benefit from doing a two day detox to remove all the old toxins from your body before hand.
The main things to you do to help are to reduce saturated fat intake, alcohol, this is more fattening than sugar! less sugar salt, and food additives. So really weight watchers meals and slim fast wont do you any favors as its all artifical as well.

If you dislike cooking, but want to eat a bit better check out the Go Cook range from Asda, Ihave just started shopping there and the range is all really easy to do meals but all using normal ingredients, no additives and rubish.

I like cooking Cat but I liek easy too! I tend to use jars & packets for spag bol etc etc :D

Our main likes are:
lasanagh & salad
Jacket spud & salad
chicken supreme & rice
spag bol
steak & salad
deep fat frier chips :oops: I hate frozen chips!
Bacon sarnies :oops: 8)
The the obvious reast dinners - meat, roasties, coli, carrots, yourshires, gravy

Snack/luncg wise is usuall things like crisps, dips, primula cheese, ham, scrambled eggs

I'm defo a drinker :oops: Bacardi or vodka with coke & I drink like 10-20 cuppas a day :oops:

If I food diary is that drinks & food with times?

We don;t have Asda btw just Tesco :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"