Buying new or second hand?

ames_x

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Hiya girls,

Just curious as to if you will be buying new or second hand?
Ive been on Ebay and found the moses basket i want which is like £70 in Babies R Us.... and loads of other bits and bobs like matching curtains, cot mobile etc. But OH wants to buy all new as it wont be anyone elses just ours?

Just curious to what you ladies are doing! x

I've brought alot of our stuff second hand, but there are things I'm buying new (quiet a few infact). We've got moses basket - family hand me down. Cotbed - second hand Immaculate condition £10 bargain. Pram - Second hand £15, Carry Cot for Pram ebay £30. Both excellent condition. Baby bath - second hand £1.50 also immaculate...

I'm glad we've got what we have as OH has been made redundant last Friday, the house is in bits as the builders are there (lots of problems with the house 7 weeks delayed and solicitor has had to be brought in.) I've been on the sick for now 4 weeks so money is rather tight and is going to get even tighter unless OH find a job very very soon. You know what they say when it rains it pours.

So unless we suddenly come into money I'm gonna have to keep the cost to a minimum...

Steraliser £6 & breast pump £17.50 with bottles from tommee tippee worth looking on their website, cheaper than shops.
Reusable Nappies from mothercare and ebay...

We got our cotbed off someone MIL knows but everything else will be new.

I have bought a few things off ebay 2nd hand, my monitors were a baragin 50quid in shops got them for 16.
Guess its a case of each to their own but for all the time they are in moses baskets/carrycots its sometimes makes sense to buy 2nd hand.

Good luck

hiya hun, well there are a few things i want new well i want everything new :rofl: but we just cant afford it so the pram will be new , my dad is buying the cot/mattress new , mil already has a swinging crib which she used for her 3 sons which she is gonna make new drapes for , bottles etc will all be new same as bedding etc but i guess we will end up wit a few 2nd hand bits

We'll have a mix probably.

I could get some things cheaper, to allow us to buy all new... but I'd rather have what we want new on the important things, and go second hand on the things that bother us less.

End of the day, it's all down to how you feel and what you can afford.

I keep reminding myself I will want to buy things for baby AFTER it's born ;) so not to splash out toooooo much.

I'm happy to dig deep for the things that can be used upto 3 years, and I'd rather get second hand if it lets me get a better quality option (most of which are bought and hardly used, or at least very well looked after, by people who have more money than sense ;D )

most of my stuff has been either ebay, charity shops or friends. i dont have a problem with 2nd hand as long as good condition.

2nd hand -
*moses basket
*moses basket and cot bedding
*loads of clothes
*changing mat
*cot
*bouncy chair
*travel cot

new -
*pram/pushchair
*car seat
*steriliser and bottles and dummys
*changing bags (1 for keep in car, 1 for me to take out n about)
*cot and moses basket mattress's

I have bought everything new. I was going to get some 2nd hand stuff but i find it's not as expensive as i once thought it was going to be. Plus the money off cupons help and i know i'll use it all again for my 2nd child.

Well we are starting to save now for the bigger things and things after the baba is born. Me, OH and my mum put £50 into an ISA account every month and now and again my mum puts £100 instead of £50 bless her :)

As soon as we find out the sex i'm sure we will buy more, but if i come across bargins on Ebay i'm just gunna get them as an extra money goes on the baba for clothes etc after it grows out of newborn etc. As long as the pram/bottles/matteress is new im not fussy at all if it saves money and is in good nick! x

I am a right ebay queen. I love it. Its a dangerous addiction really.. lol dangerous to the bank account.. BUT.. I believe if I didnt shop for the bargains and win things at last minute I would be spending an awful lot more than I have to date. In fact.. I get a buzz!. I am proud that to date.. I have bought everything I can possibly need.. (except formula cos I will be expressing) and have kitted the nursery and baby out for a measley £400. thats literally everything.. including 10 maternity clothing items!

Put a message on your local freecycle site.. it generates loads of people wanting to give you bits and bobs...

some free stuff I got I even re-listed onto ebay as it was too good to throw and used the money towards something else I needed for baby :)

i bought mostly new for no other reason than i had no one to pass things to me and i had 2 years of TTC to decide on every detail of what i wanted so OH was happy for me to go buy it all new but now i think i wish i had got second hand it wouldnt make that much difference and would have saved me a fortune

Lou
xxx

2nd hand-
infant car seat (from family friend, used in a 2nd vehicle- so not very often)
playpen (from my aunt & uncle)
swing (from my aunt & uncle)
some clothes (from my aunt & uncle, friends)

new-
everything else

Mostly used, except for the car seat -- I won't put the baby in a car seat which might have been in an accident.

If you are getting second hand stuff just make sure they are safe for your baby...there are A LOT of used things going around that are a little old and not safe...my MIL wanted me to use cribs, bassinets, strollers, etc...that she had saved for years that are no longer safe for babies....and they look brand new and the stuff its really cute...a lot of ppl save so much baby things and keep them in good condition and they do not realize they are not up to safety standards and it is just sad :(
I wont buy anything second hand because it is so hard to know if they are up to safe standards...
So I get everything brand new...
clothes is a different I'd take some used.

I have a mix :D

New

Nursery furniture inc cot and matress
Cot sheets and few blankets
Travel System (would never buy a car seat 2nd hand!)
Baby bath and top and tail bowl
Nursery soft furnitings (lampshade, mobile, cot bumper etc)
Mix of clothes
Some of my cloth nappies
Steriliser and bottles

Used
Rocker chair
Crib (altho matress is new)
Mix of clothes
Some more cloth nappies (some just prewashed and some preloved)
Blankets
Miracle blanket (for swaddling)

I like the bargains tho so even my new stuff is brought at the cheapest possible prices (ie. £100 saved on travel system to only cost £139 :))

I have bought most things second hand: ebay - cot £22, she threw in a changing mat and high chair for free; more than enough clothes for 0-9 months, £90 altogether - which I intend to sell back at the right time; pram £6! Though if I decide it's not right I would buy one for up to £100 second hand; a baby bouncing chair for £15; moses basket £10.

I also went to an NCT second hand sale, bought a tens machine for £10 and a sling for £10.

New stuff: car seat half price in Argos, mattresses for cot and basket (prob from Ikea).

I don't have a problem with buying second hand (obviously!) - we're not exactly on the breadline, but I want to have money to spend on her when she's here and save for tings she'll be able to choose and appreciate when she's older.

I have got a few things used from ebay:
SilverCross Pram
Baby monitors
New Mamas and Papas rocker
Maternity trousers (7 pairs inc jeans for 30.00)

Been given from sil:
Rocking crib
Bedding to go with above
Clothes
Another rocker!
Steriliser
Bottle warmer
Car seat (know the history)
New breast pads!!
Think we will get the youngest ones cot when he get too big for it soon too!

I am going to get new matresses for the pram and the crib and the cot and am saving as much money for when the baby comes as want to take a year off after the baby is born.

I don't see anything wrong with buying used at all.

We have decided to have a heady mix of both. I'm just going to buy things as I see them for the next few months so hopefully by the time we go on leave we will have a good idea of what we want/need left to buy.

Only have 2 things so far and both off ebay but both BNWT which I think is the best of both worlds!

1 x changing bag - RRP £40, Bought for £15
1 x cuddly toy! Very rare but I just had to have it!!!!!!! (bought for silly amount but it's rare! :rofl:)

We also doing a mix of both........am not going to buy new things which will only be used for a little while, but some sparkly new bits
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->