• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

C-Section Experiences?

Sander

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had my LO a month ago and am still recovering from a 3rd degree tear. It’s been really painful and awful and as this was our first child I’m terrified of having another. I think I could wrap my head around it if we planned a C-section for the 2nd baby, as I’ve heard from several people the recovery is easier and faster than for a serious tear. I had many, MANY stitches and was supposed to have surgery under IV anesthesia to fix it. I opted for a spinal tap but after a fully natural birth it was a serious injury to recover from.

Anyhow, I just wanted to know from you ladies who have had a C-section - my main concern is I would like to be as aware as possible during and afterwards. When they were stitching me with the spinal they did a small dose of anesthetic and fentanyl, but I was feeling very alert and aware - although also super relaxed and relieved because I was finally numb after an intense labour. If I could repeat the type of spinal I had for the stitches to have a C-section I’d be all for it, but I’ve heard many people saying their C-section involved more narcotics that made them loopy/sleepy which I don’t want. Does anyone know what the options are?

Thank you!

I had a planned c-sections for my twins. They are my first and only kids, so I can't compare it against anything else. That being said, I am hoping for a vaginal birth this time around.

I would say that recovery went as expected. I had a spinal (which I think they give for all planned sections :shrug:), so it wore off while in recovery shortly after. I wasn't told that in the spinal was pain meds that ware off after 24hrs and was really felling some pain the next day. So if you do end up having a c-section, keep on top of the pain meds they give you!

Obviously there are pros and cons to each form of births, but things to consider with the c-section:
- you can't lift anything over 10lbs for the first bit, may be hard with a young child at home
- you can't drive for the first bit. I was told you could start driving when you can comfortably slam on the breaks, so I started driving around 4 weeks after. Again, could be hard if you need to do daycare/school drop offs.
- you will always have a scar... I hate my scar! The scar itself is barely visible after 2 years, but I do have a bit of skin that flaps over where the cut. It makes me very self conscious about my body.

In the long run, you do forget the pain and recovery of child birth. So give it sometime and let your body fully recover! :hugs:

I had a pretty horrific first labour - forceps, back to back baby, episiotomy and 4th degree tear. I ended up with around 370 stitches and it took around 8 weeks to heal. I had a spinal block put in to have the stitches and was able to just rest as I couldn't feel from my chest down.

like you I was terrified to give birth again so had a few therapy sessions and decided on a section. I had it booked at my 28 week consultant appointment for 39 weeks so I enjoy3d the rest of my pregnant knowing I didn't have to go through labour again. Although my son came early (waters went) I still got my elective section which was with a spinal block again. So no horrible drugs that meant I was ill. I was able to hold my son as soon as I was stitched up and fed him as soon as I was in recovery. It really was the best decision.

I had a pretty horrific first labour - forceps, back to back baby, episiotomy and 4th degree tear. I ended up with around 370 stitches and it took around 8 weeks to heal. I had a spinal block put in to have the stitches and was able to just rest as I couldn't feel from my chest down.

like you I was terrified to give birth again so had a few therapy sessions and decided on a section. I had it booked at my 28 week consultant appointment for 39 weeks so I enjoy3d the rest of my pregnant knowing I didn't have to go through labour again. Although my son came early (waters went) I still got my elective section which was with a spinal block again. So no horrible drugs that meant I was ill. I was able to hold my son as soon as I was stitched up and fed him as soon as I was in recovery. It really was the best decision.

Thank you for your experience! I am on week 5 now and still experiencing new pain. I just can’t imagine going through it again. Your birth sounds harder than mine, but I also had a spinal block for stitches - when you had your section did you feel out of it or ok? With the stitches I felt relaxed but totally with it - if I could have a similar experience for a C-section I feel like it would ease my anxiety for a 2nd pregnancy. I’d love to give my son a sibling one day but I really don’t think I could do this kind of tearing again.

I was totally fine with my section. I was chatting away with my sister, got to see my son as they lifted him from me and watched as they weighed and sorted him. I had the same spinal block as I had to have my stitches done so had no effect on my mental state, just numbed me from the chest down. Although i was really traumatised with the birth it did easier as time went on. I got pregnant when my dd was only 14 months so it wasn't too big a gap. you really do forget the pain to some extent although you won't forget the experience.

I had a pretty smooth, unmedicated, no interventions delivery of my son. I had a long labor, and did need some stitches, but I was fully planning to do the same for my daughter. I was crushed when her breech position ended up necessitating a c-section and was dreading everything about it. Everything from the operation to the recovery was so much easier than I expected.

I felt pretty sick midway through the section and dry heaved a bit, which was unpleasant but short lived. I had planned to do skin-to-skin as soon as she was out but then felt too shaky in the moment, so my husband held her near my face while the doctor finished up. Then I held her right after in recovery. I was fully mentally present, and remember everything about her birth - maybe even more than my son since I was kind of loopy from being awake and in labor for 24 hours. I managed all of my post on pain w Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and was up walking around that evening.

As far as long term recovery, it hurt a good bit for the first week, but then I had to remind myself that I had major surgery to make sure I didn't overdo it. Even the first week, I was perfectly able to care for myself and baby, and navigate the stairs and go for short walks.

I'm really hoping to VBAC my third, but of I need a c section, I'll go into it much more relaxed. If my vaginal birth had been as traumatic as what you described I would definitely opt for the section.

I had a pretty smooth, unmedicated, no interventions delivery of my son. I had a long labor, and did need some stitches, but I was fully planning to do the same for my daughter. I was crushed when her breech position ended up necessitating a c-section and was dreading everything about it. Everything from the operation to the recovery was so much easier than I expected.

I felt pretty sick midway through the section and dry heaved a bit, which was unpleasant but short lived. I had planned to do skin-to-skin as soon as she was out but then felt too shaky in the moment, so my husband held her near my face while the doctor finished up. Then I held her right after in recovery. I was fully mentally present, and remember everything about her birth - maybe even more than my son since I was kind of loopy from being awake and in labor for 24 hours. I managed all of my post on pain w Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and was up walking around that evening.

As far as long term recovery, it hurt a good bit for the first week, but then I had to remind myself that I had major surgery to make sure I didn't overdo it. Even the first week, I was perfectly able to care for myself and baby, and navigate the stairs and go for short walks.

I'm really hoping to VBAC my third, but of I need a c section, I'll go into it much more relaxed. If my vaginal birth had been as traumatic as what you described I would definitely opt for the section.

Thank you - all of these experiences are really helping. I'm glad that it's possible to have a section and be able to maintain presence of mind. And I could see how you could be even more alert than with a vaginal - my son's entire birth is a bit of a blur even though it was totally unmedicated. I guess the intensity and exhaustion does something to your brain :haha:

I had an awfully traumatic (to me anyway) vaginal birth with my son, everyone told me he was going to be a small baby, but he wasn't and they let me push for hours telling me to try harder, I felt like I was failing, then they realised I was actually trying as hard as i could but he was stuck, emergency button pushed, hurried episiotomy and still stuck, dr with foot up on bed yanking him whilst two others held my legs. He was seconds from having his collar bone broken when he came out. I then retained placenta and went to theatre with a spinal to scrape that out and sew me up. Was in a lot of pain from episiotomy for weeks.
There was no way I was going to let that happen again even though it became a blur after awhile. When my daughter looked like she might be big I demanded a section, had other reasons, my son has special needs and no one will ever be able to assure me his birth didnt contribute in any way.

Section day was a little surreal in that I knew I was having my baby that day, but everyone was awesome. I had the spinal done and then they set to work. I lay there chatting with the staff and my husband till she came out, then they sorted her out and she came over to my husband who held her next to me whilst they stitched me up. I remember every moment of it, wasnt out of it, didnt feel sick, was laughing with the dr whilst he stitched me up. It was super painful for the first week but then settled down. I am so glad I demanded that way as my peace of mind knowing that things would be okay for her made me so much more relaxed.

I am 3/4 way through round three and was offered a section this time which I wanted so am not feeling worried or stressed about that part at all. I know it will be relaxed.

I had an awfully traumatic (to me anyway) vaginal birth with my son, everyone told me he was going to be a small baby, but he wasn't and they let me push for hours telling me to try harder, I felt like I was failing, then they realised I was actually trying as hard as i could but he was stuck, emergency button pushed, hurried episiotomy and still stuck, dr with foot up on bed yanking him whilst two others held my legs. He was seconds from having his collar bone broken when he came out. I then retained placenta and went to theatre with a spinal to scrape that out and sew me up. Was in a lot of pain from episiotomy for weeks.
There was no way I was going to let that happen again even though it became a blur after awhile. When my daughter looked like she might be big I demanded a section, had other reasons, my son has special needs and no one will ever be able to assure me his birth didnt contribute in any way.

Section day was a little surreal in that I knew I was having my baby that day, but everyone was awesome. I had the spinal done and then they set to work. I lay there chatting with the staff and my husband till she came out, then they sorted her out and she came over to my husband who held her next to me whilst they stitched me up. I remember every moment of it, wasnt out of it, didnt feel sick, was laughing with the dr whilst he stitched me up. It was super painful for the first week but then settled down. I am so glad I demanded that way as my peace of mind knowing that things would be okay for her made me so much more relaxed.

I am 3/4 way through round three and was offered a section this time which I wanted so am not feeling worried or stressed about that part at all. I know it will be relaxed.

Thank you! Sounds like you had an awesome experience. I had my final PP appointment with my midwife today and talked to her about it - she basically told me that I could have another vaginal birth and be totally fine, but that based on my physical makeup and the severity of this tear that I would likely always have issues with vaginal births. She doesnt advocate for C-sections but she said if I wanted one the next time she would support it as she really thinks I would have a difficult time next go round as well.

So I’m sure DH and I will make a decision when the time comes, but I think a C-section might be the best option for me next time and I’m so happy to see that so many people are able to have positive experiences!

hey lovely I had a pretty hard birth with my first. Induced at 40+5 due to pre-e, waters broken at 9:30am the next day. Everything was pretty full on from then.. they thought baby was going to be big. by 2:30 id had an epidural but it failed and caused serious cramp down both legs with each contraction.. started pushing at 3pm... everything went to hell then as they kept loosing babies heartbeat on the monitor, even a clip on his head wasn't working.. multiple catheters placed to make me pee instead of placing one and leaving it (I had a mimimum of 5!)... finally at 7pm they realised he wasn't coming on his own and was actually stuck. Taken to theatre where they used a spinal but that stopped all contractions, so had to wait 30 mins for Pitocin to kick in... gave me a horrendous episiotomy and then tried vontouse... that failed as my contractions hadn't started again. They went to foreceps, he had one leg propped against the bed as he was pulling him.. I literally got pulled halfway down the bed, they got him out and he was unresponsive for a few minutes, theyd also cut his head with the foreceps. They stitched me up wrong, all of the trauma left me with vaginal issues that still to this day effect me every day. My son also has special needs which like another has mentioned it cant be ruled out that the birth had a part of. He was also only a tiny 5lb 14oz.. ended up with severe jaundice and severe bruising on his head (there were many failings after the birth as well as during them).

I asked for a planned section for my second and was granted it pretty much straight away as a vaginal birth would have only caused more issues for me. I LOVED my section, spinal.. I was fully aware throughout.. I couldn't hold my son straight after (or the 3rd bub) but that was due to being large chested lol. I did have a reaction to the meds an hour or so afterwards and it took me longer than usual to get feeling back but I have hypermobility which can effect things like that. I was up and about the next day without problem as long as I stuck to the painkillers. 2 days after I was out the hospital by 10am and walked to collect my eldest from nursery as a surprise lol x

Oh my gosh sethsmummy that sounds absolutely horrendous!!! I’m glad you had a fantastic C-section experience. It’s been kind of freaking me out as I lean more and more towards that being my only viable option, but I do want more children and I’ve read a lot of experiences where people have permanent damage after attempting another vaginal birth after a bad tear.

Anyways thank you so much for your story! I’m sorry your first birth was so traumatic - thank goodness for modern medicine right? :p

:hug: Thank you lovely. All I can say is planned sections are nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be. yes your can be in a world of pain but its major surgery, most people as long as theres no complications with the wound have a smooth recovery. your body will let you know if your doing too much. With my last bub (2nd section) recovery was a little bit tougher BUT I didn't have a a chance to relax and heal with him due to him ending up in PICU at 12 days old. <3

I had a 3rd degree tear with my second birth, so am opting for a c section this time round. It’s actually recommended by my hospital if you’ve had a third degree tear, as they say the risk of tearing again is high, and it could be worse. I don’t really want a section, but I really really don’t want the horrible recovery, or worse, from last time so I’m going for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"