C section pain meds, amitriptyline and bf

hulahoop09

Mum to lg and pg #2
Reaction score
Hiya

I will be having a c section and wanted to try BF, is the pain relief after c section safe to still bf? Also i am taking amitriptyline and was womdering if its ok to still bf? I came off it but went back on because i need to and at requestof consultant and mw. Its for depression and anxiety and also helps me sleep better.

Xx

I was on Amitryptiline for chronic pain pre-pregnancy, but my doc does not want me taking it until after I have had bubs, and if I breastfeed I won't go back on it till after Im done.

You can take CoCodamol for pain relief, I'm taking that while I'm pregnant.

xxx

Thanks. I was off amitriptyline for about the first 15wks but mw consultant and doctor wanted me back on as i wasnt coping welk and they said its better for me to be able to cope even if means being on meds than baby be stressed inside and when he/she arrives because i am not coping well.

I was given co codamol for back pain but dont take it, is co codamol enough for after a section?.xx

I had a c-section and bf Anna - it is perfectly do-able if you are worrying about being sore etc.

I am not sure what the amitriptyline is though.

Good luck!:flower:

I had a c-section and bf Anna - it is perfectly do-able if you are worrying about being sore etc.

I am not sure what the amitriptyline is though.

Good luck!:flower:

I am v.worried about the pain after c-section what pain meds did you have?

Amitriptyline is an anti depressant but is also used for stomach issues among lots of other problems.

xx

Ha - I am not sure what the tablets where afterwards - it was 2 tablets every 4 horus - think it was about a 5 day course of tablets.

I advise you to get out of the bed as quickly as possible after the section - it will speed up your recovery!

It was a lot easier than expected and I had a fab experience!:flower:

Thanks! I deffo plan on getting up asap, i think the hospital here tries to get you up with approx 6 hours after. I just expect the worse and imagine this unbearable pain hitting me hard! Lol. Xx

The difficult bit is getting out the bed for the first time.

Once you are over that very difficult bit, then everytime you get out of a bed/get up etc it is sore, but you get used to it and you just get on with it!!:flower:

i cant remember what pain meds i had after my c section but i do remember them giving me a suppositry they put up your behind for pain relief and believe me that worked straight away x

i cant remember what pain meds i had after my c section but i do remember them giving me a suppositry they put up your behind for pain relief and believe me that worked straight away x

OOh, I didnt have that!:flower:

I had a c-section too, be careful of doing too much though as you will bleed even more then.
Just take it slow for the first few days, if you lie down too much though, thats when you get clots of blood and when they come out, well its not pleasent!

It hurts a little, esp your tummy muscles!
I woke up in recovary and looked down and saw they had put my son on my boob!
So its no prob at all. Just ask the nurses to get LO out of the cot for you.
Tbh, they really push a form of co-sleeping at the hospital, well for the first couple of days so you can established bfing really. They did at mine, they had the bars up and tucked him into my arms, I couldnt roll or do anything, but trust me you are so concious of them being there, you will barely sleep! xx

I had a c-section too, be careful of doing too much though as you will bleed even more then.
Just take it slow for the first few days, if you lie down too much though, thats when you get clots of blood and when they come out, well its not pleasent!

It hurts a little, esp your tummy muscles!
I woke up in recovary and looked down and saw they had put my son on my boob!
So its no prob at all. Just ask the nurses to get LO out of the cot for you.
Tbh, they really push a form of co-sleeping at the hospital, well for the first couple of days so you can established bfing really. They did at mine, they had the bars up and tucked him into my arms, I couldnt roll or do anything, but trust me you are so concious of them being there, you will barely sleep! xx

It really is different wherever you are.

In our hospital we are encouraged to do everything for baby - they are our responsibility - feed/nappies etc. If you are struggling then of course you can ask for help. Baby was in a cot right beside my bed so I didnt have to get up to lift out baby for feeds.

And also, it was well signed around the wards, that once done feeding/changing/cuddling 'please put baby back in cot'

I was in for 48hrs and never slept once either!

I had OH there from 9am-9pm both days so that was a great help and he did all the nappies.:flower:

OOh, I didnt have that!:flower:

i think it was called volatrol ? lol not sure its been over 8 years since i had my c section x

I remember when I had a LLETZ they asked me to sign whether or not I want pain relief up my backside but I refused that time, I dont even think I needed pain relief after it and never had any bleeding. Obviously that is v.v.minor compared to c section.

My friend who had baby start of may by emer c section said she was getting up and doing everything for baby as she wanted to heal and learn whereas some women kept buzzing for mw to come and change baby etc. I deffo want to start as I mean to go on as much as I can!!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"