Caesarean versus natural birth.

I had a natural vaginal birth with just a TENS, and have had 2 abdominal operations (rather than c-sections). Vaginal all the way IMO. I found the recovery with an op MUCH harder, and I've heard that a lot of people don't feel as though they've actually given birth to their baby.

I want to have another vaginally delivery because I had a great experience with my first. My son was small, so that probably made it better, but I didn't need an epidural, I didn't tear or need to be cut, no stiches, and I was up and about within a couple hours. The only change I would consider making is that my water broke and I was induced because I wasn't having regular contractions. But even so, it did make my labor go quicker, so I probably wouldn't change that either.

However, I would consider a c-section if it was medically necessary or I felt I couldn't go through the birth no matter what. What I mean by that is that about 2 weeks before my son was born my boyfriend, brother, and friend all got into a really bad car accident. If anything would have happened to any of them I don't honestly think I could have gone through a vaginal birth because of emotional trauma and whatnot. I don't even know if that's a legitimate reason, but I would have brought it up to my doctor if it came to that. Sorry if that was really confusing.

Another reason I want a vaginal birth is because I already have a LO at home and he's only going to be 16 months when his sister is born. I don't think I could manage two kids and deal with the recovery from surgery.

But, it all depends on how everything goes in the next 19 weeks or so. I wish (like everyone else does) that I knew how my labor would be and could decide based on that knowledge.

TBH I think it's insane for someone to WANT a c-section! My experience with mine was AWFUL, it's major abdominal surgery and the recovery is rough!!

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with yours, but it is not always like that.

I had an un-planned c-section when Freya was born. She was born on a Sunday morning, I was home on Tuesday morning and we moved house the following Saturday. Granted, I didn't help with heavy lifting, but I was certainly up and about and able to help unpacking!
It healed quickly, and now (3 years later) I can barely even find the scar.

The surgery itself was a breeze. I couldn't feel a thing. Had a fab surgeon, and the BEST anesthetist ever. He talked quietly in my ear the whole time, letting me know what was happening.
I had a private room, which was nice, and was not tired or sore or anything so could could have lots of cuddles and visitors straight away. I was up and walking, showering, etc the next morning.

Assuming I get a next time, I will almost certainly be opting for another c-section.

I'm 19, fit & healthy. My pregnancy went great and I was considered low risk throughout and a low risk for an emergency c-section. I had lovely medical staff during my surgery, I got to stay awake, etc.. so the surgery went fine.

I didn't have pain in the hospital, I was recovering well, Elyse was born at 1:30pm the Friday and I was up walking that night, my IV was out by 1:30am and my catheter came out around 3am.

Sunday morning, I was running a fever. The obstetrician told me that I had a womb infection. I felt alright and I was put on oral antibiotics. My staples came out Sunday evening as well and I was discharged Monday afternoon (on antibiotics).

Tuesday night, I had to go back to the emergency room, as my fever hit 103F. I had antibiotics by IV, they gave me a new prescription for more antibiotics, and sent me home.

Sunday, my incision opened (only 1-2 inches) and leaked everywhere. Had to go back to the emergency room; had a resident stick this long Qtip thing into the hole in my abdomen, I had a big abcess and he needed to open up all the "pockets" and drain the fluid. He packed over 20 inches of gauze ribbon into the wound (I left the hospital with 22 inches of it packed in there).. and I had to stay in the hospital for 3 nights with a 1 week old baby at home. The resident told me my scar won't heal as nicely as it would have, but at least it's a bikini cut. I went home on 9 pills worth of antibiotics per day.

My incision still isn't closed, this is now 5 weeks since she was born. I can't shower or have a bath, I have to wash my hair over the sink and have spongebaths. I have a nurse coming into my home daily to remove the bandages and packing, clean it up, repack it, and put new bandages on.

I have dry skin under the bandages, and my skin is irritated from having tape stuck to it for a month, lol.

I don't want to SCARE people but I want to be sure people understand that while yes, some people DO have c-sections with no complications and heal beautifully, that it IS major surgery, it DOES carry real risks, and it can make your recovery really drag on for a long time.

Advice I have gotten from nurses, doctors - make sure you don't rush yourself getting out of the hospital, stay as long as they will keep you. Even though it sucks being there and you'll want to go home ASAP. Don't let them take your staples out on the 3rd/4th day (as they try to do)-- make an appointment with your family doctor and have them out at 7-10 days. Don't downplay your symptoms, don't assume it's normal, etc. even if you "over report" to the medical staff taking care of you, at least they'll know exactly what's going on with you at all times:)

Sorry, this is a genuin question. Why would you purposely want to have surgery, and recover from surgery whilst having a newborn? Just wondering, I don't understand that's all.

I would rather recover from surgery than go through what I went though after DD was born (seizures, BP issues, etc). My reason for having it this time is cause of my cyst and wanting a tubal ligation though

In response to lady who asked about BF after c section. I have had 4 sections and had no problems Bfeeding them.

After having done both I can say from experience that csections are MUCH harder to recover from...atleast for me. Plus they carry their own set of risks that I'm not willing to CHOOSE to put me and my baby through...vaginal is the way babies were supposed to be born and while there are risks to it, it's not a major surgery and in most times goes according to "plan". I had a vaginal birth with my first son, no problems, 9hrs of labor about 5-10min of pushing and he was here. My 2nd was an emergency csection, which I personally think was rushed and wouldn't have been necc if they hadn't pushed my body into labor when I wasn't ready and neither was Casen. But the surgery itself was bad, the recovery was horrible, especially with a toddler to take care of as well as a newborn. I had a VBAC with Hayden and so happy I did, it was a great labor, total of almost 6hrs but less than 2 of active labor and he was pushed out with one contraction, no tearing. While the recovery was a bit harder and the labor itself a bit harder than the first time around I think it has alot to do with my uterus having been cut open before so it was weakened in that area and therefore more sore, but still nothing compared to a csection. I would never choose to have another csection, if we have anymore it will be by VBAC again

Tasha - that is truly horrible. Sorry you had such a negative experience :hug:

Natural. I couldn't cope with the pain of a c-section scar. Plus vaginal isn't all that bad

I had a natural vaginal birth with just a TENS, and have had 2 abdominal operations (rather than c-sections). Vaginal all the way IMO. I found the recovery with an op MUCH harder, and I've heard that a lot of people don't feel as though they've actually given birth to their baby.[/QUOTE]

exactly how i feel :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->