caffeine....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by jbrocksmith, Dec 24, 2009.

1. jbrocksmith

jbrocksmith Well-Known Member

sooo what is everyone's opinion of having caffeine during pregnancy?! I am 23 weeks now and lately every once in a while(maybe once a week) I will have a Mt. Dew (91 mg)...and today my parents FLIPPED out on me about it. I have read that approximately 200mg a day is fine. I don't usually have any other caffeine during the day at all. What does everyone think about the whole caffeine issue?!

2. agreeksmom

agreeksmom preggo

i have hot chocolate and coffee you can have 3 8oz cups of coffee and it wont affect the baby so tell them to relax

3. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I've had it every day for the entire pregnancy. I just don't drink a lot of it. A cup of tea every morning, the occasional soda and don't really worry about the chocolate as I never eat that much.

4. Freyasmum

Freyasmum Mum of 2

I've been drinking coffee three or four times a week, and tea three or four times a day!
    Didn't do any harm last time, and my mw doesn't have a problem with it so I figure it's OK.

5. ginab

ginab Mummy to Maggie Mae

I love my hazlenut latte's and I ususally go for decaffinated but now and then i have caffiene one cus it tastes better. I wouldnt worry too much no one's told me not to drink it.. unless your on 5 or 6 cups a day i dont think it will make any difference!

6. Emx

Emx Mum/Cautiously pregnant

I didnt drink much caffeine at all in first tri - although now I drink at least two or three cups of tea a day, a can of diet coke and the odd coffee..

7. MiissMuffet

MiissMuffet Well-Known Member

3 cups a day of normal instant coffee is fine but i just have 1. Coke or any kind of fizzy is ok every now and again- anything in moderation. So is the odd choccie bar-

8. cb1

cb1 Well-Known Member

I didn't drink any coffee in the first tri, but now have a cup of instant in the morning - I find it helps with the constipation!!

9. debjolin

debjolin Well-Known Member

i usually have one cup of coffee and several cups of tea per day. im bad :coffee:
    done it with my first pregnancy and it did no harm.

10. mrsraggle

mrsraggle Wifey & Mummy

I'm drinking my allowance of 200mg a day - so you're an angel compared to me!

11. Kitty23

Kitty23 Mummy to Poppy and Noah

I've not cut down since getting pregnant but I wasn't a mega coffee drinker before. Everything in moderation lol xxx

12. Lollypod

Lollypod Well-Known Member

I used to love my coffee but went off it with morning sickness in the first tri. :sick: I now drink two or three cups of tea a day and the Christmas choccies are dissapearing fast :blush: I'm probably consuming way too much caffiene :dohh:

13. mememe84

mememe84 Well-Known Member

I switched to decaf tea and coffe but prob eat too much choccie x x x

14. maytobe

maytobe Well-Known Member

Can't live without my tea! I have two cups of it a day, max, which is about 4 tea bags. I used to be sickened by caffeine in the first trimester. Now I like tea but not coffee. Which is weird because I used to be a HUGE coffee addict before pregnancy.

15. corrie anne

corrie anne Mom of 7 girls and 4 boys

All my pregnancy books say that i can have 400mg of caffeine. I dont drink that much. like ciggs do to some, soda does to me. lol.I think i have probably 2 cans of soda a day. I cut down after the baby is born for nursing b/c caffiene stays in our systems for only 3 hrs but in a new baby take up to 92 hrs to leave there systems. I dont like light sodas so i switch to caffeine free dark sodas.

16. scotsgirl

scotsgirl mother of 3 xx

is there a lot of caffeine in chocloate? i have been craving galaxies lol x

17. 555ann555

555ann555 Mummy to Gabriella

I didn't have much in the 1st tri because I completely went off coffee and diet coke, but I've been having maybe 1 instant coffee and 2 diet irn brus a day now.

I do feel the baby kick more if I have more irn bru than that, so it is definately getting through to the baby, but it is only maybe once a week that I'd have more than that so I'm below the 200mg. :shrug:

18. JennTheMomma

JennTheMomma Mommy of 1 & Expecting #2

I don't drink caffiene, just milk and water for me. I'm not much of a caffiene drinker when not pregnant, so no biggie for me. If you have a can of pop or a cup of coffee once in awhile, you're fine. All in moderation.

19. JemmaD

JemmaD 3rd trimester

I love my tea and drink over 10 cups a day so i had to move ove to decaff when i got my bfp and i can tell the diffrence