Caffeine?

scuffer

Mum to 3 lovely boys!
Reaction score
Does caffeine affect the baby? Should I avoid it while bf?

Thank you! :flower:

Every baby is different and may or may not be affected and also depends on the quantity. I had a friend who drank 2 glasses of coke a day and her LO was affected. I drink 3 cups of Sencha green tea as it is very low in caffeine and treat myself to a proper coffee on a Sunday. Its trial and error really, but I tend to go for the less the caffeine the better.

It can have an affect on some babies. My baby wasn't bothered by it at all though.

OK, thank you. It suddenly occured to me that we had quite an unsettled night last night and perhaps it was the caffeine, I've been avoiding it through pregnancy (aside from one coffee a day) but I'm back onto tea and think I may have over done it yesterday!

It can affect some babies but from what I've read it would take 7-8 fairly strong cups of coffee before it starts to affect most babies. My eldest was really affected by caffeine so I had to avoid pretty much all caffeine until he stopped BF at 7.5 months, none of my others have had any problem whatsoever. xx

how can you tell if they are affected by it. I usually have atleast 1 cappacinno or latte a day!

they'll be jittery, very windy/colicky, or wired and refuse to sleep at all. Trust me you'll know; but most babies don't have any issues.

Yesterday I avoided caffeine, not completely but had none in the afternoon and he slept much better. It's early days so it could be a coincidence but he woke 4 hourly for feeds! I hop he continues like that.

Real coffee is much higher in caffeine than instant or tea (about three times as much I think) so maybe limit those? My LO never naps so I posted a similar question and answers came back as some babies react some don't, so I might give up my tea. Thing is on the days where she is on the go all day with no break I rarely get to make myself a tea!!

I'm a Diet Coke addict and I haven't noticed anything, she's used to it though!

i had a colicky fretful baby in the early days and cut out dairy and caffiene, and he improved, im able to have dairy now, but find if i have caffiene that its me thats affected not bubba!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->