Caffeine?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by scuffer, Jun 8, 2011.

1. scuffer

scuffer Mum to 3 lovely boys!

Does caffeine affect the baby? Should I avoid it while bf?

Thank you! :flower:

2. Future-Sailor

Future-Sailor Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know an answer to this as well :)

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Well-Known Member

Every baby is different and may or may not be affected and also depends on the quantity. I had a friend who drank 2 glasses of coke a day and her LO was affected. I drink 3 cups of Sencha green tea as it is very low in caffeine and treat myself to a proper coffee on a Sunday. Its trial and error really, but I tend to go for the less the caffeine the better.

4. venusrockstar

venusrockstar ~Aspiring Photographer~

It can have an affect on some babies. My baby wasn't bothered by it at all though.

5. scuffer

OK, thank you. It suddenly occured to me that we had quite an unsettled night last night and perhaps it was the caffeine, I've been avoiding it through pregnancy (aside from one coffee a day) but I'm back onto tea and think I may have over done it yesterday!

6. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

It can affect some babies but from what I've read it would take 7-8 fairly strong cups of coffee before it starts to affect most babies. My eldest was really affected by caffeine so I had to avoid pretty much all caffeine until he stopped BF at 7.5 months, none of my others have had any problem whatsoever. xx

7. jessabella

jessabella Well-Known Member

how can you tell if they are affected by it. I usually have atleast 1 cappacinno or latte a day!

8. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

they'll be jittery, very windy/colicky, or wired and refuse to sleep at all. Trust me you'll know; but most babies don't have any issues.

9. scuffer

Yesterday I avoided caffeine, not completely but had none in the afternoon and he slept much better. It's early days so it could be a coincidence but he woke 4 hourly for feeds! I hop he continues like that.

10. punk_pig

punk_pig Guest

Real coffee is much higher in caffeine than instant or tea (about three times as much I think) so maybe limit those? My LO never naps so I posted a similar question and answers came back as some babies react some don't, so I might give up my tea. Thing is on the days where she is on the go all day with no break I rarely get to make myself a tea!!

11. Cat_pj

Cat_pj Well-Known Member

I'm a Diet Coke addict and I haven't noticed anything, she's used to it though!

12. MissyMojo

MissyMojo Army Wife, Mam & BFP

i had a colicky fretful baby in the early days and cut out dairy and caffiene, and he improved, im able to have dairy now, but find if i have caffiene that its me thats affected not bubba!!!