Calcium Deposit in Heart

Momy

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

On Friday, DH and I went in for level two ultrasound because docs wanted to check out her heart due to issues DH and I had at birth. During the session, doc said everything is measuring great, her heart is perfect, however there is a calcium deposit in her heart. He said that since I am young and my blood screening tests came back clear that I have nothing to worry about. Easier said then done.

This is what brings me here. After searching on the internet all of Saturday (Friday was spent in tears and depression), I came across this network. I have read a few threads on the topic, but I would like updates.

Has anyone gone through this situation? If so, please tell me your story. I have 4 more months to go, and I would like to be calm and happy until the end. Thank you! :wacko:

Sarah
BabyGirl due June 7, 2011

Hi, yes I also went to a level 2 ultrasound with my first pregnancy and they found the same thing - a small echogenic area of calcification in the heart. My DD is perfectly healthy and has no heart problems. Apparently it is a marker for other abnormalities like Down's syndrome but something like 25% or more of normal pregnancies can show this as well - which is why your doctor was not too worried. It is something I think only a perineonatologist or someone trained in level 2 ultrasounds would find.

Try not to worry too much - if they had picked up anything else then you could be more concerned.

We also had a calcium spot on the heart. Was told by the midwives and technician (at te second scan) that since it was only one spot it's not a big deal. They tend to worry if there is 2 or more which can indicate markers for other issues. They let us know that in cases like these, the calcium spot will just dissappear as soon as it's born. Still didn't stop us from having a bit of worry throughout the rest of the pregnancy though. But it did help that the midwives and technician were sure it was nothing and hubby made sure to remind me of this when I started to worry. Our son was born perfectly healthy with no issues with his heart (he was born 3.5 weeks early because of a health scare I had however).

I'm sure your little bubs will be fine!! If I found the same thing happened with this next baby, I wouldn't let it worry me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->