California Rolls? (sushi & pregnancy)

I asked my doctor about fish in general at my last appointment and she said that no sushi, and cooked salmon and trout were ok, but to stay alway from any kind of shell fish, tuna, shrimp all of that is not good to have cause has higher content of mercury.

Tuna in sushi is high in mercury...shrimp is not. (Shrimp's practically at the bottom of the food chain...)

I've been eating it in moderation. And yes, California rolls are cooked.

Could you just make them? I've made sushi once this pregnancy, and eaten it immediately which isn't a problem (it's the ingredients (I use chicken thats just cooked) and leaving it sitting around...

I Love sushi! And Cali Rolls are perfectly fine bc their cooked, id be going crazy without them lol and the seaweed is ok for the baby too!

Why are all these doc's so against fish? It's really good for you. You can eat most of the things you've all mentioned the only things you shouldn't eat for deffinate are Shark, Marlin and Swordfish - because they are top of the food chain and DO contain very high levels of mercury. I wouldn't eat these preggo or not. Tuna should be eaten in moderation as should oily fish but you shouldn't cut it out it's very healthy and a great way to get lean protein, omegas etc etc etc.

x

I'm apprehensive of doctors who say to avoid shellfish and fish in general. Sounds fishy to me, no pun intended lol. Seriously though, shrimp are so small and live for such a short period of time there's no chance of mercury in them in fact most shellfish has no traceable amounts of mercury. Mercury accumulates in very large fish like marlin and swordfish that live for a very long time.

This thread totally made me crave sushi last night. I had a lobster roll (a roll with lobster salad in it) which was delicious, a california roll, and some fried rock shrimp. Best dinner I've had in ages.

I get so upset when some misinformed person goes into these threads and says "no seafood is safe!" because it spreads such paranoia. You do not have to look too hard to find information from doctors and the internet to calm that fear. The truth is there is danger in all foods, even lettuce for goodness sake. Do you know how many bugs crawl and poop on lettuce as it grows? But nobody says don't eat lettuce. The truth is if you didn't take the time to clean the lettuce properly there's a chance you could get sick from that as well. As long as food is produced well, cleaned well, and prepared well the chances of getting sick are very low.

I definitely knew something was up when the doc told me to just avoid seafood at all costs. I was thinking, what about the Omega-3 oils that are supposed to be healthy for the baby? He was saying that the oils and fatty acids actually attract harm to the baby.

I swear, I've never heard of that. I hate that I even asked b/c he said it in front of my OH and now everytime I ask him to pick me up a tuna sub or order cooked salmon at a restaurant he goes, "Are you sure you should be eating that???"

Argh.

I've totally had it with the "don't eat this, eat that" superstitions related to pregnancy. These are totally cultural; no one in Japan is told to avoid sushi when they get pregnant.

The harm in sushi/risk in sushi is the SAME whether you are pregnant or not. IE, it's not something that will harm the baby but it will make the mom sick if the sushi is bad, just like it would any one else eating it. And the risk of getting bad fish is just that, the same risk as everyone else - we just have less capable immune systems so the effect *may* be for longer. But nothing crosses the placenta, nothing directly harms the baby, nothing affects the pregnancy by eating sushi even if you do get a bad batch and get sick (not thinking of mercury here, just in general "sushi"). I've eaten sushi for going on 17 years and I have never gotten sick from it... the odds are slim, if you're eating at good places.

So if you are going to a REALLY REALLY REALLY good sushi place, that practices safe handling and receives fresh fish, you are probably going to be okay. This means living in large coastal cities with good sushi/import markets = places I'd eat sushi in, regardless of whether it was cooked, at the really good places (aka - not from the grocery store).

That said, I currently can't stand the smell of fish since mid 1st tri, but I hope that changes soon because I really, really miss sushi and fish generally :haha:

I think this whole "don't eat sushi" thing made sense, 20-30 years ago when the fish in California qualified as fresh but secondary markets (anywhere besides San Fran, LA, and NYC) didn't get the fish for several more days. Now, though, the shipping channels have changed and this is no longer as big a concern. I wouldn't eat uncooked sushi in the middle of the country still, but I'm rather a sushi snob anyway and wouldn't eat sushi in Kansas anyway! (I'm allowed to make fun, I have family in KS still).

It's the same thing with the whole "don't change the cat litter!" paranoia - the only way a cat is going to get the toxiplasia (sp?) that everyone's concerned about is if the cat eats raw meat, and the raw meat (aka a mouse, a bird etc) has the toxicity. The odds of that happening with an indoor cat are SLIM TO NONE unless you have some sort of massive rodent infestation (in which, I'd assume there are other issues besides the cat litter). (But don't tell my husband this, I'm enjoying my break :winkwink:). You're more likely to get toxiplasia from eating uncooked fruits and veggies, but no one goes around saying "don't eat raw tomatoes!!!!"

I'm so over the panic. Can't wait to eat sushi!!!!

I'm not messing with sashimi (which is raw fish without the roll) even though I adore it. I eat tuna and salmon mostly, but I would rather not take the risk. I can live on cucumber rolls and California rolls for the time being :)

I was told that Japanese women eat sushi during pregnancy, however in Japan they prepare it much more carefully and most, if not all, restaurants have mastered the art of fine sushi.

I have a favorite sushi restaurant though where people can watch their sushi being made, and I've been going there for years.

I certainly wouldn't be buying my sushi at a gas station or something :haha:

I've totally had it with the "don't eat this, eat that" superstitions related to pregnancy. These are totally cultural; no one in Japan is told to avoid sushi when they get pregnant.

The harm in sushi/risk in sushi is the SAME whether you are pregnant or not. IE, it's not something that will harm the baby but it will make the mom sick if the sushi is bad, just like it would any one else eating it. And the risk of getting bad fish is just that, the same risk as everyone else - we just have less capable immune systems so the effect *may* be for longer. But nothing crosses the placenta, nothing directly harms the baby, nothing affects the pregnancy by eating sushi even if you do get a bad batch and get sick (not thinking of mercury here, just in general "sushi"). I've eaten sushi for going on 17 years and I have never gotten sick from it... the odds are slim, if you're eating at good places.

So if you are going to a REALLY REALLY REALLY good sushi place, that practices safe handling and receives fresh fish, you are probably going to be okay. This means living in large coastal cities with good sushi/import markets = places I'd eat sushi in, regardless of whether it was cooked, at the really good places (aka - not from the grocery store).

That said, I currently can't stand the smell of fish since mid 1st tri, but I hope that changes soon because I really, really miss sushi and fish generally :haha:

I think this whole "don't eat sushi" thing made sense, 20-30 years ago when the fish in California qualified as fresh but secondary markets (anywhere besides San Fran, LA, and NYC) didn't get the fish for several more days. Now, though, the shipping channels have changed and this is no longer as big a concern. I wouldn't eat uncooked sushi in the middle of the country still, but I'm rather a sushi snob anyway and wouldn't eat sushi in Kansas anyway! (I'm allowed to make fun, I have family in KS still).

It's the same thing with the whole "don't change the cat litter!" paranoia - the only way a cat is going to get the toxiplasia (sp?) that everyone's concerned about is if the cat eats raw meat, and the raw meat (aka a mouse, a bird etc) has the toxicity. The odds of that happening with an indoor cat are SLIM TO NONE unless you have some sort of massive rodent infestation (in which, I'd assume there are other issues besides the cat litter). (But don't tell my husband this, I'm enjoying my break :winkwink:). You're more likely to get toxiplasia from eating uncooked fruits and veggies, but no one goes around saying "don't eat raw tomatoes!!!!"

I'm so over the panic. Can't wait to eat sushi!!!!

:haha:

1) most fish in sushi and sashimi is previously frozen which makes it even less likely to make you ill.

2) you can eat up to 2 tuna steaks a week, just dont eat shark or marlin.

3) the guidelines only highlight RISK... youre just as likely to be knocked down by a car when crossing the road as having some of the problems these guidelines are aimed at!!! youre not going to avoid crossing roads for the rest of your pregnancy are you? lol

It DOES affect the baby and DOES NOT just affect the mum for longer! It can cause birth defects and still birth. It's not all for no reason....

Google listeria Crossing placenta if you want research on it and no just mine or others opinions....

I'm apprehensive of doctors who say to avoid shellfish and fish in general. Sounds fishy to me, no pun intended lol. Seriously though, shrimp are so small and live for such a short period of time there's no chance of mercury in them in fact most shellfish has no traceable amounts of mercury. Mercury accumulates in very large fish like marlin and swordfish that live for a very long time.

This thread totally made me crave sushi last night. I had a lobster roll (a roll with lobster salad in it) which was delicious, a california roll, and some fried rock shrimp. Best dinner I've had in ages.

I get so upset when some misinformed person goes into these threads and says "no seafood is safe!" because it spreads such paranoia. You do not have to look too hard to find information from doctors and the internet to calm that fear. The truth is there is danger in all foods, even lettuce for goodness sake. Do you know how many bugs crawl and poop on lettuce as it grows? But nobody says don't eat lettuce. The truth is if you didn't take the time to clean the lettuce properly there's a chance you could get sick from that as well. As long as food is produced well, cleaned well, and prepared well the chances of getting sick are very low.

Absolutely! you couldn't have said it better...I have several pregnancy books that advise you to eat lots of fish especially in your 3rd trimester for baby's brain developement. The omega 3 found in salmon, tuna, sardines and anchovies believe it or not are very healthy for baby's developement. In regards to sushi, my OB actually recommended wakame (seaweed salade) to reduce ankle swelling and guess what? it works! and is perfectly healthy for baby too! I don't eat raw fish per se but do enjoy california rolls and the occasional smoke salmon and cream cheese rolls...everything in moderation is the key.

I read its the raw fish plus the rice that has been sitting for ages that's the issue-But i guess if you made it yourself and made sure the fish was cooked then it should be ok?

It DOES affect the baby and DOES NOT just affect the mum for longer! It can cause birth defects and still birth. It's not all for no reason....

Google listeria Crossing placenta if you want research on it and no just mine or others opinions....

Listeria is a cross-contamination, i.e. you are eating crappy sushi in which the person preparing it did not take proper precautions. It's not an inherent risk in raw fish itself (again, see comments re: sushi snobbery and only eating at particular places), and it's not common (unless you are buying sush at say, a drive-through. Or a grocery store. Or god forbid a gas station). Not really the risk I was referring to re: sushi. Listeria concerns exist in everything; sandwich meats, cheese (even-gasp-pasturize products can be cross-contaminated), veggies, etc... it's about prep quality, not about the actual risk of the food item itself.

I was referring to Anisakis and other potential parasites or bacteria inherent IN raw fish, not arising from poor prep. To put this into perspective, there were 10 (TEN!) reported cases of anisakis in the last year in the USA. Ten. Total. Out of Gods knows how many sushi dives. So as long as my sushi place is not cross contaminating my food with a bacteria that comes from dirt, I'm not going to worry about it. Like I said, eat at nice places, the risk is slim.

However, listeriosis/listeria is COMMON in smoked fish. So no smoked salmon rolls or bagels with lox. :thumbup:

Just an update ladies.... :D

I had avocado rolls and cucumber rolls from my fave sushi place Saturday night... totally delicious and completely curbed my craving. Well... not really because I want more now. :haha: So glad I found a temporary replacement!

My OH had California Rolls too (which I didn't order b/c I wasn't sure if they were cooked or not, and we had our meal to go so I didn't get to ask the waitress) and he said it looked like imitation crab meat, so I probably would have been OK.

God, this thread makes me want fish.
Although shrimp is finally off the menu. It's moved from "that's one of the few things I enjoy eating" to "it tastes disgustingly salty and I can't keep it in my mouth." Guess baby's not a fan.

Food has gotten so weird.

And based on what I've seen, I'd be perfectly comfortable eating sushi -- but midwife told me not to. Sigh.

Just an update ladies.... :D

I had avocado rolls and cucumber rolls from my fave sushi place Saturday night... totally delicious and completely curbed my craving. Well... not really because I want more now. :haha: So glad I found a temporary replacement!

My OH had California Rolls too (which I didn't order b/c I wasn't sure if they were cooked or not, and we had our meal to go so I didn't get to ask the waitress) and he said it looked like imitation crab meat, so I probably would have been OK.

Glad you got your fix :thumbup:

Crab is never served raw under any circumstance. California rolls are not made with crab anyway, they are made with imitation crab which is actually cooked fish. There's no harm in california rolls. :happydance:

Yeah, California rolls are fine, as are any seafoods that arent high in mercury. the USDA recommends 6-8oz 2 times a week.

I made the wife lime and ginger poached sole for dinner last night with oven roasted butternut squashed mashed with butter and brown sugar... mmmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->