Calories in the first tri

Talia12

Reaction score
A bit of background, I have a history of eating disorders, it's mostly "minor" to the point where I am always slightly underweight but have been very ill with them twice before in my life.
I have been more moderate with my eating for the past year or so.

I gave myself permission to totally pig out over Christmas and New Year, basically since finding out I was pregnant at the beginning of Dec, and I've put on a lot of weight (a lot for me, my BMI is still fine). I now know that I need to cut it out and get to eating well - partly so I don't balloon, but also of course for reasons of health for the baby too. The problem is I don't really know how to eat well. I'm always either pigging out or I'm on a very strict diet, it's the combination of these extremes that keeps my weight a little below what it should be.

My basic question is, how many calories do I need now? My app mentioned 300 extra, but does that include the first trimester or is it only later? If we said 1200 (I'm quite small/short) as a baseline, so make it 1500, would that be ok? Or just stick to 1200 for now? For me that's a lot as my usual weekday allowance (before I got pregnant) is 800, then at the weekends I eat more than that but without counting. I know some of you may not think counting calories is a good idea, but it's necessary for me. Otherwise I will end up not having enough by far, and I need to know when to actually add calories if necessary.

Obviously I know that it needs to be mostly healthy and nutritious foods. Thanks so much in advance for your input ladies :flower:

In first tri you do not normally need any extra calories, I believe you are supposed to gain 5lb max in first tri, then 20lb for the rest of your pregnancy, however I was a healthy weight when pregnant so the advice may be different if you are underweight or overweight. I think it might be different if you are surviving on so few calories.

Id suggest using something like myfitnesspal to track your intake and focus on the nutrients of your food (particularly protein) rather than the calories. You can enter your height and weight and it will tell you what you should be eating. Id also suggest discussing this with your midwife.

I don't eat any different than normal when pregnant. With my first baby I thought I needed extra and ended up gaining 50 pounds because I was trying to always eat a little extra. I listen to my body, and when I'm hungry, I eat.

Thank you to both of you.
I am going to get a calorie tracking app, but not myfitnesspal as I have been down a very obsessive route with that app before and I want something more simple. Or if not then I will just start to note down calories I eat in Notes and add it up!
I am going to go with 1200 for now. I put on a lot of weight in my first pregnancy too due to trying to eat extra and that meant a huge major diet when my baby was a few months old and I had a panic over my weight. I ended up painfully thin, so it's in my interests to keep things moderate this time around and try to stay within guidelines. I have already definitely put on more than 5lb since finding out I was pregnant...! But I'm not going to panic over it as I was underweight to start with. But now's the time to rein it in.

Generally, the advice is an extra 300 calories in the second & third trimester only. But that's based on your usual 2000 intake recommend for women. So 2300 per day. I know to maintain my weight and size 10 frame, I only eat 1800 calories when not pregnant but I've upped my calories to around 2300 now I'm well into the second trimester. But to be honest, its not because I feel I should but because I have no choice. I'm absolutely starving all the time. I start to feel sick and faint if I don't eat when I'm hungry. I just choose or at least try very hard to make those calories good ones and not rubbish! Doesn't always work but I don't do too bad!

1200 is very low, 800 is pretty dangerous. You can't get enough nutrients eating that little :( I would certainly be pushing up quite a bit during pregnancy, you are growing a small human, they need food and the nutrients from it. The additional calories are to provide the energy needed for baby to grow. Not to put weight on you. But judge it on how you feel. Don't let yourself go hungry, it's not good for you or baby. If you must count, set yourself a sensible goal but if you feel hungry, faint etc, do not beat yourself up for going over your set goals. You need to eat, you need additional energy and you will put on weight. But its honestly not that bad. I'm eating 2300 and I'm still in my size 10 clothes, just maternity ones to accommodate my bump!

Thank you, that seems like sound advice. I know that 800 is very low but I find it mentally hard going over that much for a lot of days in a row (not including now that I'm pregnant) as I start to panic, and I know that my eating on other days is what stops me from being dangerously thin (as I have been before). But I really think if I tried to go up to 2000 a day, I would not only find it hard to eat that much, but I would put on weight rapidly. I maybe need to say around 1400 or something, as a rough guideline, but will try very hard not to obsess. The reason I had to ask you ladies is because I recognise that I have a pretty skewed idea of what's a good number of calories.

I was underweight when I got pregnant and my OB wanted me to gain at least 10-15 lbs first trimester. I'd check with midwife for their recommendation and try to follow that.

I was anorexic for just over 20 years before getting pregnant (in recovery for 3 years now) so I understand the need to calorie count, but it's really destructive. Do you have a therapist and/or nutritionist? Working with a nutritionist, I was able to learn what a meal actually looked like and what kinds of foods I should eat in a day and how much. I didn't need to calorie count bc she taught me what I should be eating and what portion sizes looked like. It was quite helpful. It feels freeing to not obsess about calories, but I know it's hard. I know you didn't ask for all of this and sorry if I overstepped, but it just makes me sad hearing of someone struggling day in and day out with eating disorders.

I would discuss your calorie concerns with your Doctor and maybe get help from a nutritionist. Otherwise all the apps and whatever are just arm chair doctoring that might not be setting you and baby up for long term health. Your body will rob itself before hurting baby, so you can lose bone and muscle mass if you aren't careful which could set you up for things later in life like osteoporosis etc. Be safe!!

Please keep in mind that 1200 calories is an absolute minimum for any non-pregnant, healthy female. 1500 is the MINIMUM for someone who's pregnant.

I understand your situation and feel the same way. I mentally cannot eat "normally". It's all or nothing for me. I do not go under 1600 calories when pregnant, and I'm 5'11" and aim for 2000. Of course, if I'm feeling like I can't EAT that much, I will use smoothies or cheese or even a cup of chocolate milk to bump my numbers up. Mmm, chocolate milk...

I would definitely talk to your doctor about this, though. They may give you an extra growth scan, too, to make sure you're giving your baby enough nutrients.

My sister in law is a very thin person naturally and ended up gaining fifty pounds with both of her pregnancies. Her first doctor didn't even mention anything to her and her second doctor gave her hell about the weight gain. Fact of the matter is that it didn't really matter how much she ate--that's what her body decided she needed to put on for her pregnancies and it al melted back off postpartum. She eats quite healthy most of the time, so I don't think calorie counting really would have changed anything for her. I'm telling you this because maybe it's best that you not bother with the scale when they do your checkups. Let the doctors and nurses worry about that part.

I'm already considered overweight and my body is very different. I only gained 13 pounds with my first pregnancy, not because I was being good but because my body didn't tell me I needed a bunch more food (maybe there just wasn't room). I left the hospital weighing less than when I got pregnant, though my body shape was certainly different. I also end up losing weight in first trimester... Probably because my body knows I have plenty of reserves.
Please listen to your body instead of counting calories if at all possible and make sure you trust your care team with your information. I expect they'll be very supportive and can help you with resources to ensure you're able to have a successful pregnancy.

Hi Talia - My doctor ok'd me at 1500 calories a day. I am typically at 1200 calories a day. I would sick with that if you need a number and then once you are farther along see what the doctor wants you to do.

Congrat's on your sticky bean!

Thank you SO much to all of you for your responses. They've honestly all been so helpful to me and I feel much clearer about it. I'm also going to mention it to my midwife at my booking in which is at 10 weeks, I just think it should be on my notes. When they weigh me I won't look and I'll ask them please not to say my weight out loud - the last thing I want is to be sent into a panic that could lead to me eating less than I should be.

Thank you SO much to all of you for your responses. They've honestly all been so helpful to me and I feel much clearer about it. I'm also going to mention it to my midwife at my booking in which is at 10 weeks, I just think it should be on my notes. When they weigh me I won't look and I'll ask them please not to say my weight out loud - the last thing I want is to be sent into a panic that could lead to me eating less than I should be.

I'm sure they do a bit on nutrition at the booking appointment. I remember filling in something about a typical days food and then she gave me advice about what I should be eating - I think she just asked me to up my protein and drink more water (I'm vegetarian) so it definitely wasn't a lecture. They also don't weigh you except from your first and last appointment. They write the weight in your book .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->