Calpol advice

New Mrs W

Frankie and Mickey's Mama
Reaction score
Good morning mummies.

My little man is teething and although it doesn't seemed to have upset him until now, last night he was really upset. He is not a crying baby at all, but last night he was really crying and finding it hard to settle. :nope: He would fall aslep for maybe 10 minutes and then wake up again crying - even though I was holding him and normally he can sleep for a good couple of hours on my chest. My mum was round and after I asked her advice she said we should give him a dose of calpol as he looked and sounded like he was in pain, which was very true. We did give him a dose and within about half an hour he had calmed right down and fell asleep happily on his daddy's chest.

Now my question is this: would you have given him the calpol? I am a first time mummy of a very easy baby who has slept through since he was 7 weeks old and who really only has a little whinge when tired or hungry, he has never been as upset as he was last night apart from when he had his jabs. I haven't really had to give him calpol before and I felt almost guilty doing it, like I was just giving him it to make things easier for me and I should have calmed him down and got him to sleep without having to put medicine into my baby. My mum said it was normal for me to feel like this as I haven't really used it before, but if Frankie was suffering it is fine to give him medicine. I totally agree with this but still wondering if it's what other mums would have done.

Have you tried some teething gel and a teether he can gum on? I would try them first and then try the calpol as a last resort. Just remember no more than 4 doses in 24 hours. x

I agree with your mum. Sometimes we can do nothing to help them. Cuddles help soothe a baby but it doesn't prevent pain x

Hi, yes we had him chewing on his teether and I had been putting his gel on all day but it was about 8 o'clock and he had been crying for about an hour and was getting really, really upset with himself, nothing else seemed to be working. Thank you x

Yes I always give Eva a dose of Calpol if her teething is unsettling her at night and it works brilliantly.

She is teething at the mo and before bed we give her Calgel teething gel and a Nelsons Teetha sachet.

If its really bad, yes a does of Calpol too. Does not harm its only liquid paracetamol.

calpol wont hurt hun dont feel guilty for giving it. Its hard to tell what their symtoms are but if all seems better after calpol its obviously helping. x

Personally I hate my lo being in distress so would def give him calpol. My midwife even said I could give it to my lo now who is only 5 weeks old, said 0.5ml is ok at this age. Luckily he hasn't been too ill yet but i would have no problem with it. If my sis and her lo are anything to go by I will be using it on many occasions in the next few years lol Don't beat yourself up over this, you only did something that obviously made your baby feel better x

i remember when izzy was younger i felt so guilty giving her calpol, and would hold back with it, but when we have colds or pain we dose ourselves up so it should be the same for them, u r helping him by giving it to him, u stopped his pain so he can sleep x

I gave my lo calpol after her first jabs as nothing seemed to stop her crying- I ummed and ahed about giving it for ages then felt guilty for ages having given it to her. It did help though so I would have done the same as you

Have you tried some teething gel and a teether he can gum on? I would try them first and then try the calpol as a last resort. Just remember no more than 4 doses in 24 hours. x

Isn't it 2 doses in 24hrs? I'm confused!!!

I'd never feel guilty for making my LO more comfortable. personally I'd feel guily if I let her be in pain if there's something I can do about it. paracetamol is prefectly safe, so why withold it???

I know why I am confused! Just looked at the pack, its 4 doses when baby is older then 3 months, we haven't hit the 3 month mark yet! I though I was losing the plot!!!

I know why I am confused! Just looked at the pack, its 4 doses when baby is older then 3 months, we haven't hit the 3 month mark yet! I though I was losing the plot!!!

didn't look at your LO's age. but yes, you're right with the dose then :)

I was abit weird about giving Calpol at first.... then I read in my baby book that it is cruel to deprive your baby of painkillers if they are in pain. My LO is in the thick of teething at the mo and we are now giving her Capol and Ibruprofen alternately every 3 hours upon advice from NHS Direct... ( I had to call regarding a different matter).... It is definately helping!

xx

tbh I'd feel more guilty not giving a baby painkillers if they were in pain. you did the right thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->