• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Can a doctor give you a false negative??

Mariposa

Pregnant - 3rd Trimester
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

You will have to excuse me I am new to this (today) and have noticed a lot of shortenings to words (still trying to figure some of them out haha)

Anyway, my last period (AF I think?) started on 18th Feb, I do suffer with very mild PCOS so sometimes my cycles are longer than your usual.

2 weeks into my period I had brown/red spotting for about 2 days, then a week later started to have cramping twinges in the right hand side near ovary area, because of this and the spotting I thought I would take a trip to the doctor. This was on the 17th March, so a day before period should have been due to start. He had a feel of my tummy and gave me a pregnancy test (pee,pee kind) ("Clearview" brand) which came out negative. I asked if possible to give a negative and he explained "No as it was sensitve". After researching on internet they are 25mui.

I still have no period as yet and had sore bbs.

So my questions are:

Can a doctor give you a false negative or are they pretty reliable?
Has anyone had BFP after negative at doctors?
And can anyone advise when I should try a hpt?

Sorry a bit long winded, I will get better I promise :happydance:
x x x

hello, i think that it is possible to have a bfp after a bfn at the drs, it could just be that he tested too early. if it were me i would test again using your first wee of the morning, good luck, hope its positive xx

i work in a doctors surgery and often the test at the labs that they use are not as sensitive as the ones you can buy (and it actually states that on the lab report). so whenever someone gets a negative test at the surgery but they have had a positive home test we always ask them to hand in another sample a day or two later as it may just of been to early for the labs test to show up (my own personal theory is they don't give them long enough!)

Well that's what I thought but he didn't actually send the a sample to a lab or anything...I basically pee'd in a pot, he took some up a syringe and put it onto what looked like a hpt, so it was all done in the doctors room.

Plus it felt like he waited about 30 seconds and then went "Negative" haha!

I do really want to try a test at home but don't know how long to wait??

Thank you for the replies btw x x

if your doc re-does them and they come out negative again and theres still no sign of your period your doc can do a blood test and that will tell you pretty much for sure if you are or not :hugs:

Hello + welcome to B&B!
Some ladies don't get positive results for weeks after AFs due.
You're definitely late so that's a good sign.
Have you had any other symptoms?

No not as such....

Apart from the lateness, I 've had tender bbs and some cramping and twinging down there, but I was just putting that down to my AF on its way.

Everyday I get up and think I'll start my period today and nothing, not that I want it to in anyway shape or form haha!

I want to try a test but don't want the disappointment...was gutted when the doc said "No"...can I go through that again or do I wait another week....This is what i keep asking myself. All this wondering is wearing me out haha x x

Yeah - its so frustrating that AF and PG symptoms are pretty much the same!

Hope you don't mind the TMI (too much information) but we're all a bit gross on here...
If you've got yellow-ish cervical mucus then that's a great sign!

Thre's a big thread of pregnancy symptoms in this TTC section so see if you can identify any more symptoms.

We all struggle with the 2WW (2 week wait for AF after ovulation) and symptom spotting is a great way to pass the time!

Hi ladies have never done this before .
Im very confused my normal cycle is always 28 days im now on 33 days still no af and no sign of it showing up.
I have taken hpt and all negative and had a test at the docs who sent it to the lab and today its too come back negative .
Im really confused as my breasts feel huge my back hurts and my cm is a yellowish colour I(sorry for the tmi)
Oh forgot to say did a clear blue digital and it came back not pregnant but I opened it and it had 3 lines .please help with any ideas im going crazy over here

This is a very very old thread, please start a new one or your question may be missed

wait a couple of days and try another hpt. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"