can a midwife predict

wannabenewmum

Reaction score
my sister in law went to see midwife today at 36+2 and her midwife told her she would have her baby next week,,,, is this at all possible to predict babys heads engaged but ididnt think there was any way to know if your baby ready other than when its ready iykwim :)

no, there is no way of predicting when a baby will come, unless of course there is a date for an elective section. I think that was a bit unprofessional of the midwife telling your sister she will deliver next week, its bound to lead to diasppointment if she doesn't and shear luck if she does.
A babies head engagement does not indicate that labour is imminent. Although i wish there was some kind of way of telling, as a student midwife i could make a fortune from delivery date syndicates :lol:!

I'm not sure but when I was having my son I saw my midwife when I was 35 + 5 days and she said from the way things were looking she thought I would go sooner rather than later. My son was born 5 days later at 36+2 days! Maybe she was just lucky lol xxx

no, there is no way of predicting when a baby will come, unless of course there is a date for an elective section. I think that was a bit unprofessional of the midwife telling your sister she will deliver next week, its bound to lead to diasppointment if she doesn't and shear luck if she does.
A babies head engagement does not indicate that labour is imminent. Although i wish there was some kind of way of telling, as a student midwife i could make a fortune from delivery date syndicates :lol:!

Lol u would make an absolute fortune!! I wish ppl could tell us when it would happen, like they should have to arrive on their due date!!

an experienced mid-wife can tell. There is no way to be 100 percent certain but they have seen thousands of women give birth and they know the signs better than anyone. With my last pregnancy I saw my mid-wife at 29+5 and she checked my cervix. She said it was like butter and was concerned that I would go into labour at any moment. I ended up giving birth at 30+2!

Absolutely no way of knowing. Even with an internal people can be dilated for weeks. Some people go from long posterior to delivery in a day.

It is a bit cruel to get her hopes up. But perhaps she should start on the labour inducing myths!

i thought it was a bit strange i mean surely there would never be any of those near misses babys born on motor ways, dont want to burst my sister in laws bubble though, i

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->