Can a nurse sign me off work?

Discussion in 'Miscarriage Support' started by Sugababy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Sugababy

Sugababy Member

Hello

I miscarried last Tuesday and was due to go back to work today. I really cannot face it, especially as my boss took it on her herself to tell all my work colleagues (!!!!) I am still a hormonal wreck and in slight pain so am off to docs this morning to talk it over, however the only appointment they had available is with a nurse so can I still get signed off with a nurse? Or should I really be seeing a doctor?

Thanks
    xx

2. Kevsgal

Kevsgal Mother of one

Hi there, I'm really sorry for your loss :hugs:

I'm not sure about a nurse being able to sign you off work but the one's in my local surgery are very helpful so perhaps if yours cant sign you off, she might be able to quickly ask the doc for you while you're there or get you in to see the doc faster.
    Try to think of your boss's big mouth as a good thing because the only thing for me that was worse than condolences from work collegues, were "congratulations" from people who didn't know I'd m/c yet. I found that trying explain to people just made me burst into tears and made me look insane until I could compose myself enough to actually say the words aloud.

Good luck hun :hug:

3. JASMAK

JASMAK Mom of three

Was it a nurse practitioner, or just an RN? A nurse practitioner has the same rights as a DR (at least here in BC they do).

4. Dona

Dona Well-Known Member

I would make an appointment for your DR and get a sick line backdated to follow on from your last one. Tell your Boss that is what your going to do.

1. Your Boss can't say no

2. Your DR will always sign you off until you feel OK to go back

Good luck hun