Can anyone enlighten me?

xolily

Reaction score
I'm just wondering why tax credits go down once LO turns 1? I've read about and from what I can gather it reduces by £10 a week, £520 a year?

In my experience, the older LO gets.. the more I spend! Formula is quite expensive, but i'm spending just as much, if not more, on cows milk. I'm washing more, i'm buying more clothes due to stains, I have to buy shoes now she's walking, i'm spending more on snacks/food aswell as toys etc..

Don't get me wrong, it's great that we get anything, I just wondered why it goes down...?

babies are more expensive apparently but I agree with you, toddlers and kids are way more expensive.

I know what you mean, Im not being ungrateful, but it definately doesnt make sense it going down, I actually miss the extra bit of money now x

I know what you mean, but I do find I spend loads less on cows milk than I did on formula, and Ruby's clothes are now lasting a looooot longer size wise. But I'm with you on the shoes and snacks, ouch!

Mines went down more than that!
I'm finding things a bit more expensive now he's a toddler as well! Shoes are the main one, but also activities, classes, days out etc!
Bit crap really :( but I suppose thats what the government decides we 'need' to live on..

Definitely toddlers are more expensive.. I didnt really notice mine go down to be honest.

clothes do last longer size wise Claire but i find there's alot more wear and tear.. the amount of socks/tights i've gone through is ridiculous!

i think we're are right, toddlers are defo more expensive.. silly government ha x

I think its because thats when maternity leave ends so for alot of people they go back to work and earn more then SMP.

I never brought formula for the twins because theirs was given on prescription due to being premature so I obviously spend more because I have to buy cows milk now. My girls go through a 4 pints a day. Its pretty much all they will drink

As for clothes I go through more now than I did when they were babies.. Nursery ruin half the amount with their food and letting them paint without an apron :dohh:

Definitely for me its more expensive.

Socks... Oh goodness I buy socks nearly every time I go shopping. They got lots of pairs for Christmas from the family and for their birthday

i think its like special kala said its an extra to help whilst maternity leave is available but stops when maternity ends!

Lou
xxx

Why dont they just give it to you through the SMP then lol. Would save the hassle of having to change it all again. lol.

Then I doubt its for SMP as it still changes for those on income support. Just probably is because they think a toddler needs less.

I think its because thats when maternity leave ends so for alot of people they go back to work and earn more then SMP.

but what you earn reflects on how much you get anyway? x

SMP is a set amount it is your employer who decides how long you get SMP for.

If you're entitled to SMP, it's for 9 months (although you have to paid 90% of your normal wage for the first 6 weeks of that)

Your employer can decide to give you more than that but they are not allowed to give it to you for less than that.

The last 3 months of mat leave (AML) are unpaid.

I was paid 90% of my wages for the first 6 weeks and then it dropped to £117.85 or whatever (this was like 20 months ago) and I went back to work when they were 4 months old but I was told my maternity leave would only be paid until the 6th month and then I could take another 6 months but it would be unpaid.

That doesn't sound right. From the government's website:

How much SMP do you get
If you qualify for SMP, it is paid:
for the first six weeks at 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings with no upper limit
for the remaining 33 weeks at the lower of either the standard rate of £124.88, or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings
Please read ‘Statutory Maternity Pay – how it is worked out’ for more information.
Statutory Maternity Pay - how it is worked out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->