Can anyone explain???

3rdtimelucky

mammy to 3 beautiful kids
Reaction score
Hi girls,

Im just back from my hospital visit and im looking through my notes.

under Pres.... which im presuming means presentation :shrug: it has wrote down 2/5. what does this mean.??

Thanks xx

I'm not really positive, but it sounds exactly like a question asked yesterday and a bunch of people commented with answers :) So hopefully her thread will help you.

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/235761-does-mean.html

It could mean 2/5 engaged or 2/5 cephalic so i'm not much use to you!

It either means 2/5 palpable or 2/5 engaged. Some midwives/Drs write it differently. If she meant 2/5 palapable then that means you are 3/5 engaged and she can feel 2/5ths of the baby's head, but if they meant 2/5 engaged then that means you are 3/5 palpable, so you have 2/5ths in the pelvis. Palpable and engaged is measured in fifths. :)

Cephalic means head down.

It either means 2/5 palpable or 2/5 engaged. Some midwives/Drs write it differently. If she meant 2/5 palapable then that means you are 3/5 engaged and she can feel 2/5ths of the baby's head, but if they meant 2/5 engaged then that means you are 3/5 palpable, so you have 2/5ths in the pelvis. Palpable and engaged is measured in fifths. :)

Cephalic means head down.

I should have explained myself better, I'm having a bad day.

What do the common abbreviations used in my notes mean?

'Ceph' is short for 'cephalic', a Latin word meaning 'head'. If this is written in your notes, it means that your baby is lying with his or her head above your vagina. In other words, he is likely to be born head first (as opposed to bottom first - 'breech', or 'br' for short). Some midwives write 'vertex' or ('vx' for short) instead of 'ceph'. This is a more specific word meaning the 'top of the head'. The abbreviations '5/5' or '3/5' (plus '4/5', '2/5', and '1/5') refers to how low down your baby's head is in relation to the bones of your pelvis. Think -of your pelvis as a large egg cup, and your baby's head as a small egg. Imagine the egg divided horizontally into five equal portions. In your mind, hold the egg just above the egg cup so all of the five portions are visible. If this was your baby's head, you could say that '5/5' of the head could be felt or was 'palpable' - or 'palp', for short. (Some midwives may just put a little arrow pointing up to indicate that this is the proportion of the baby's head that can be felt above the pelvis.) Now lower the egg half-way into the egg cup. You could now say that it is '3/5' or '2/5' palpable. '2/5' would mean that your baby was nicely tucked into the pelvis or 'engaged' ('eng', for short). This does not necessarily mean that labour is about to start, but it does mean that there is plenty of room for your baby to pass through the pelvis and out the other side -unlike the egg that is stopped half-way!

Yep Noodles, that pretty much explains it :)

thanks noodles.. well baby has been engaged since 32 weeks and i have been having alot of pains over the last 2 days. so doc said im having alot of signs of my body preparing for labour so i just wasnt sure what this meant, but that has helped. thank you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->