Can anyone offer any HR advice? Kx might know?

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know the details about what happens regarding maternity leave if you're signed off from work until your due date?

Does it mean your maternity leave will kick in from 36 wks? Do you still get full pay or SSP or does that vary between employers?

Are there any other implications?

I think Kx has been signed off but not entirely sure.

Thanks for any advice

it all depends on ur workplace, i was signed off till my due date, my personell manager said to me that teh company can force u onto maternity leave tho! :shock: apptly if ur off b4 ur leave then they can do this!

From what I know as well Lucy, it is your companies descretion. Our place is a bit rubbish, and they have made people start maternity. But if its only for a couple of weeks, I think most places pay you sick pay.

I had arranged to start my maternity from 36/37 weeks, but then was signed off with SPD.

My HR department told me that they would have to pay me full sick pay as they weren't allowed to force me to take maternity early. They said that was the law.

Thanks for your replies.

I was reading a leaflet that the MW gave me at my booking in appointment about working rights etc and from that I understood it like your situation Amanda, that they could force you to take maternity leave but only from a set amount of wks onwards (i.e from 36wks).

I honestly don't think I'll be in this situation but wanted to find out just in case!

I had this,I was signed off sick til 36 weeks but then I work in a factory maybe different?

Mat leave started from then
Bex

Bexxie, do you mind me asking - did the Doctor just put until 36wks or did He put until due date and then it was your work that enforced the mat leave from 36wks?

Hi Lucy

As far as I'm aware if you are absent from work with a illness/problem which is pegnancy related between weeks 36-40 your mat leave/pay will automatically begin! So say if you were planning to work right til the end but you were off sick (PG related) at 36+2 then mat leave/pay would start! But if you were off 35+5 with illness then you'd be fine!
I had to be really carefull as I was off towards the end! Its very confusing........I found some info re mat leave & rights online......can't remember where :dohh: will see if I saved it somewhere!!

If you have say Flu,and it lasts til 38 weeks they cant enforce Mat leave but if preg related they can
I cant remember now think the doc signed me til the 28th feb as that is when I was starting Mat leave anyway,god amazing how quick you forget
bex

Thanks for looking Lil_Baby_Boo

At the moment I am sure I'll be at work until my planned mat leave starts but it was just something the Doctor said today that made me wonder what would happen if he signed me off for until due date. Obviously if I need to be off then fair enough but wanted to know the implications as money will be tight enough when I'm on mat leave.

Ohh just found the answer online:

You can start your maternity leave at any time in, or after, the 11th week before your baby is due. However, your maternity leave will start automatically if you are off work for a pregnancy-related illness from the fourth week before your baby is due.

Hi Lucy,

Just seen this thread sowee :hugs:

You can be signed off right up until 4 weeks prior to your due date, as when u hit the 4 weeks b4 ur due date you have to start maternity leave (providing the reason you are signed off is pregnancy related)

I was signed off from 6 months-have had a battle with HR this week who have refused me to go from sick to annual to mat.

PM me if u need any info xx

Thanks girls, sorry Bexxie - didn't see your reply as I was posting at the same time.

K, will pm you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->