Can breastfed babies get too much??

joeyjo

Mum to 2boys, growing #3
Reaction score
My LO feeds really well, roughly every 3-4hours, with some more frequent days when we've had really hot weather although i notice although he might ask to feed every 60-90min its only for a minute or 2 and then he has the bigger proper feed as expected.

He does cluster feed for a few hours 6-9pm most evenings and I dream feed him about 11-11:30pm so I don't get woken till 2:30-3am instead of 1am.

I'd been really pleased with his weight gain - he was 3.3kg (7lb4.5oz) at birth, dropped to 3.1kg on day2 but had regained his birthweight and reached 3.42kg by day5.
His weight gain has continued and last week 6 days ago when he was 17days old he weighed 3.76kg (8lb4oz), I've just had him weighed today at the clinic and he was 4.15kg (9lb2oz) - so he's gained 14oz in 6days!!! This has to be excessive surely - the nurse in the clinic today only spoke swiss german so i'll have to wait till next week to ask questions but I'm worried is it possible to overfeed?

Nope, breast feed babies are really good at eating what they need because they have to work to get milk, where as with a bottle, it is a much easier process to get the flow going. So babies will gain really quickly, then level off. Don't use his weight as a judge, as long as he is eat, and is happy and giving you lots of dirty diapers, then that is a better measure. Next week he may only gain an ounce or two, so I would say 14 oz is awesome!!

Not sure what your asking, but yes, breastfed babies can feed too much and become overweight. Although not many get so overweight it becomes an issue, and a baby your age wont really become overweight.

My baby was combination fed for the first month... and then formula fed oly from then on. She had rapid gain weight until 2 months where she leveled off at 12lbs5oz and stayed at this weight until she was 5 months.

Every baby is different, no matter if they are breastfed or formula they will gain weight at their own pace. I really hate the assumption that formula fed babies are the only ones who can be overweight etc...

The only concern you should have is if the baby is severely overweight or severely underweight.

Kellymom has some great info on your concern:
https://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-toomuch.html

Personally, I don't think breastfeed babies can be overfed. My LO is a bg baby, but perfectly healthy and gaining weight at the right rate for him.

Breastfed babies tend to gain weight faster than formula fed babies at first.

Babies are great at knowing they are hungry. The way I see it, often if I were offered a sandwich, I'd eat it, but I wouldn't put the effort in to make one myself. Same with breastfeeding - the baby has to work, so only eats when they want it!

I never had a prob with Jasmine refusing to eat or finish bottles if she wasnt hungry... I think assuming that bottles force them to eat more is wrong... They all have tummies, they all know when they are full.

Thanks everybody - I just wondered if it was too much and if I should try and limit his evening clusters or not dream-feed him but fortunately it seems not - which is good coz I've no idea how I'd manage that anyway!

I don't think you can over feed a young baby at all? This is what my HV said.
Ruby is FF but always stops when she's full.
Only the really old fashioned bottles just drip milk continuously into the baby's mouth, modern bottles release milk in response to a baby's sucking.

Every mw and hv has told me its not possible to overfeed a breastfed baby.

My LO has gone from 7lb 12 at birth to 9lb 4 at 1 week 6 days! The midwife did a double take but said it's all good.

Nope - you cant over feed them. :) When you weight them a lot like people tend to do to start with, you see 'big' gains and 'small' gains in comparison where as if you weighed say, once a month, you'd probably see it average out IYKWIM.

If he's eating too much he'll be sick. I have a good gainer too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->