Can I ask a favour from all you tempers?

Electricat

Reaction score
First, sorry for long post, but if you could indulge me, pls?

I am really struggling with my thermometer and Mr. Google cant help me much.
When people report fluctuating temps they talk about over several days, but I'm talking about within seconds of two readings.
I'm on my third therm. and dont want to get another one, so I would like to know if this is normal for all therms?

At some point my old therm didnt beep, so I temped twice....and since then, all hell broke lose!

The readings differ by almost a degree if I temp several times!
It may look like this: 36,67 - 36,80 - 36,54 - 36,42 and so on....that makes no sense!

My third bbt does the same thing! Had it been a .05 difference I would not care, but it fluctuates in the .10 to .90...that is too much for ttc-ing :wacko:
Surely my temps arent changing by half, to one degree within 20 seconds....and then go back up again....come on! :growlmad:

Could you guys do me a favour and check see if your therms do the same thing?
Have I just been very unlucky with my therms, or is this just how poorely these things work?

To save you from replying about how I might be doing this wrong, I will tell you about it, so we don't waste our time. However if you can pinpoint anything that might help, Ill be very happy.

I temp at the same time every morning - by alarm.
I generally have had three hours or more of sleep when I temp.
I temp vaginally.
I move as little as possible grabbing the therm. and lay still while temping.
My newest therm. is very quick to give readings so if I do two-three readings they are within seconds of eachother.
I have tested my therms in the middle of the day too, same result - widely different readings.

Have you guys tested your therms within seconds just one afternoon?
I wouldn't have unless my first one stopped beeping and I would never have stressed about this :nope:

In general I have used my first reading...but knowing how it fluctuates makes me doubt my whole chart now :cry:

I would be so happy if you could put my mind at ease and tell me - "nope, of course your temp doesnt shift a half, to one degree within 20 seconds, that's impossible - and my therm. gives same readings if Im laying still and take consecutive readings".

I will just have to get a fourth one and FX it will work properly :wacko:

Help me out here, ladies? :shrug::cry: :flower:

this is the latest thermometer I use

Hi there Electricat. I temp orally and just took my temp four times in a row for our little experiment here :winkwink: and this is what I got:

1. 98.62
2. 98.62
3. 98.5
4. 98.75

Whoops, forgot to convert:

1. 37.01
2. 37.01
3. 36.94
4. 37.08

At least you got two identical. I don't think that has happened to me :dohh:

Any more ppl wanna try?....I guess I wouldn't want to if I could avoid it - makes you doubt your bbt and it can add stress :wacko:

If what you posted is norm, then I think I need yet another therm. :cry:

I dont have numbers on me.. but ive done that before. And yes- QUITE a bit of variation! I yhink its normal and you should stop temping multiple times! Just go with the first temp. Its only adding to t he stress- and of course stress can mess with o etc!!

It's sounds really silly, but are u waiting for it to finish beeping before removing, I saw some one recently using one and taking it out before it was done reading
Sorry I'm not making out u r, ummm ill sshhh lol

I dont have numbers on me.. but ive done that before. And yes- QUITE a bit of variation! I yhink its normal and you should stop temping multiple times! Just go with the first temp. Its only adding to t he stress- and of course stress can mess with o etc!!
It really shouldn't give different readings :growlmad:
A thermometer's sole purpose is to give readings of temperature...and it does it inaccurately!
It's sounds really silly, but are u waiting for it to finish beeping before removing, I saw some one recently using one and taking it out before it was done reading
Sorry I'm not making out u r, ummm ill sshhh lol
I know - I do go with the first reading, but knowing it fluctuates like that makes me think whatever temp pops up first is just a fluke :nope:

And yes, I wait for beep :thumbup:

No. Mine changes. I think most would just from the fact that your body wakes. Thats why they say as soon as you wake- same time everyday.

No. Mine changes. I think most would just from the fact that your body wakes. Thats why they say as soon as you wake- same time everyday.

I am aware of that. What I'm questioning is the fact that my thermometer is fluctuating .5 to 1 degree up...AND back down within a minute - I doubt that is actually happening in my body. So I'm suspecting my three thermometers are all wonky....or are ALL therms. like that...?

(And I'm not only talking about the first morning temp, I am aware that changes rapidly when your body starts the day).

If you do get a new thermometer, the "experts" say, the longer it takes to take a reading the more accurate it is.. the quicker it takes a temp, it's usually guessing the last number.

I've heard people say before that it might vary based on if it was warmed in your mouth from the first reading. I've also heard people say that sometimes they've noticed some thermometers give the same temps randomly like it's a saved favorite or something...not sure that's the best explanation. It's like someone saying they seem to get 36.27 on Monday, on Thursday, on Friday, on Sunday, on the next Wednesday. I know the battery can cause repeating numbers but I'm not sure if it can cause random repeaters.

I've noticed that if I take a second temp it seems to go through the numbers quicker! Who knows!?!

I'll give it a try when I'm back with my thermometer. :thumbup:

I was thinking.. some women are VERY sensitive to changes while taking their bbt. For instance,you wake up take your first temp, you open your mouth to put the thermometer, it beeps and you take it back out,, you've opened your mouth twice and exposed it to a cooler temperature.. do that three or four times and it could cause it to flucuate. Some women's body are sensitive and some aren't. Maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->