Can I delay booking appt bloods till 16 weeks?

marina294

Mum to 2 DD's
Reaction score
Hi I'm in the UK I have got my first appt tomorrow but after two miscarriages I want to ask to delay my blood tests till after the scan and I know everything is OK. I hate needles though understand test are necessary but with my last mmc the midwife struggled to get all the vials needed so had to go back again another day.then found out baby died so that was all pointless and had more tests and injections with erpc so felt like a pin cushion by the end .
Would it matter if I asked her to wait till I've had a scan first?

Normally at the booking appointment you're then sent a letter for your dating scan which is between 10-13 weeks. Gender scans tend to be from 16 weeks on. You get screening tests done (bloods)...if you want them...at the booking appointment and also bloods done at the dating scan. You don't have to have bloods taken/tests unless you agree to it.

When I went for my booking appointment I was asked to sign a form giving them permission to test my blood for the various genetic disorders. I imagine if you don't sign they won't take your blood. You could always then "change your mind" after the 12 week scan and they would begin the tests for you. Hope all is well this time for you x

You can always do whatever you want, though it may cause some confusion on their part if you re-schedule the appointment because usually it's that appointment that then triggers your scan to be booked for you. But if it's the bloods rather than the appointment itself that concerns you, then I would just go for the appointment and do your booking so that you get set up for your future appointments and get your scan booked, but explain what you just said here about wanting to wait until 16 weeks to do your bloods. It may confuse things a bit, but probably less than if you delayed the whole thing until 16 weeks.

You can refuse any bloods and tests. I just had my NT scan and skipped the blood work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->