Can I have a drink?

RoxyRoo

Mummy to two <3
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm just wondering if I'm able to have a drink whilst breastfeeding?

I just fancy a beer tonight but don't want to if it'll harm my LO. I'm presuming the limit would be one beer if any at all?

I think they say to try and time it so there is the longest amount of time possible between having a drink and a feed. I've actually heard it's best to drink while feeding (what a sight).

I have a glass of wine on a Fri or Sat night sometimes and last night (first on hols in Cornwall) I had a real ale shandy (I know, those words should never be seen together)!

Some people will say a big no, but I say if I do limit it I'm happy to.

Thanks for your reply, I didn't have one in the end but I might let myself if I fancy one another night :)

I have a couple rum and cokes in the evening most night to wind down if I have one I wait two hours per drink before pumping again so if I have three drinks I wait six hours and if I become engorged I just pump enough off that I'm comfortable a and dump it.

One drink won't hurt. Just remember when you drink and BF, you may not be able to handle it as well as you used to LOL!

They say 1-2 drinks is okay, but since my LO is under 3 months I play it safe & give it 2 hours per drink.

At the breastfeeding workshop I attended they said 1 drink is fine if you wait an hour afterwards before feeding baby:flower:

i have read 3 hours per 1 unit?

i had three quaters of a bottle of wine the other night knowing my lass doesnt wake up till 3am to feed and sods law at 11pm after i was getting that warm tingly tipsy feeling she woke to feed, she was fine tho and drank as normal. As long as you dont get drunk i think its down to personal choice, only a small amount gets into breastmilk. :) x

Personally I have the odd glass of wine and think that's fine. The main thing which stopsme isn't that it might get passed in my milk, but that I'm a complete lightweight and can't be responsible for a baby and feeling tipsy at the same time! :)

If you're concerned .. most chemists sell breastmilk testing kits. You put a bit of BM on a strip after drinking and it will let you know if the booze has gone thru to your milk. I don't suppose 1 beer will hurt. (a beer is supposed to help if you boost your supply if it's low lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->