Can I start working out at 5 weeks?

akfalla

Reaction score
Well... just found out i was pregnant and wasn't really planning for it but we weren't really trying to avoid it either. I just started this summer trying to get into a workout routine... and i haven't made it real far. I used to be very athletic, but for the last 5 years or so i have been lazy and gotten pretty chunky.

I'd like to be as healthy as possible... would be ok if i start working out now? I ride my bike or walk to work everyday already. Would it hurt me or the baby to start a workout routine? And if so, would something like the T25 be too much? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

*Sorry probably should have posted this under fitness... rookie mistake. I'm new here :) Won't happen again.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I wouldn't do t25 myself but I am prone to miscarrying, lots of ladies seem to be able to carry on running and going to the gym fine, I'm just not one of them, everything stops as soon as I get two lines now! It's only 9 months after all! X

Well... just found out i was pregnant and wasn't really planning for it but we weren't really trying to avoid it either. I just started this summer trying to get into a workout routine... and i haven't made it real far. I used to be very athletic, but for the last 5 years or so i have been lazy and gotten pretty chunky.

I'd like to be as healthy as possible... would be ok if i start working out now? I ride my bike or walk to work everyday already. Would it hurt me or the baby to start a workout routine? And if so, would something like the T25 be too much? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Working out is great in pregnancy! I'm 11 weeks and have been working out regularly the entire time, with the exception of this week due to severe morning sickness. :( I would personally say "no" to the T25 since you are JUST getting back into fitness and it's more intense (you really should avoid HIIT-type workouts in pregnancy). If you had being doing it for a year previously, I would say maybe, but the HIIT is still a bit too high-impact with I'm guessing a lot of jumping. I still do fairly intense workouts, but I was doing them for years previously. I weight lift 3x/week and do moderate cardio 3x/week. I've always heard "Don't do anything new." In you're case, since you're just getting back in shape, it's probably best to stick with low-impact stuff.... walking, swimming, low-impact bike riding. :) Just my thoughts! Doing these things will be great for you and your baby, though! And you can totally do T25 post-baby!!

I think you should check with your doctor. Exercise is always good but I have heard that starting heavy exercise like running after you get pregnant when your body isn't already fit enough to handle it can be a problem (due to overheating I think?) .. Just explain your current exercise to your doctor and what your plans for an increase are and see what they say?

The rule of thumb I've always heard is that if you weren't already doing it, don't start when ur pg. I think something like swimming would be ok since it's not super strenuous , and you can probably continue on with the bike riding as long as ur belly will allow, but starting something super intense is probably not a good idea.

Maybe start with walking and swimming for a little while if you are going from doing nothing to intense workouts x

When I was pregnant with my son in 2011 I started bike riding AFTER I became pregnant with him, I heard staying fit and active helps with the labor process. I did 10 miles of bike riding every weekend and felt like a million $$$$. My son came out PERFECT, and the labor was a walk in the park compared to my first delivery with my daughter, the pregnancy I rarely exercised.

You know your limits, talk with your doc first and don't let yourself get overheated. Good Luck. Oh and not too sure about the T25, I don't know much about that program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->