Can OPKs be wrong?!

Thisismyyear

Expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm really intrigued about my dates and would welcome any explanations and opinions.

I tracked O by just digital OPKs, no temping. I usually have a 30-35 day cycle although I did have one at 27 days earlier this year.

I got a positive OPK on day 18 and we DTD on days 15, 17, 18 and 19. So going by the positive opk I would have ovulated around days 18-20 which would make me around 5-7 days behind the ticker. But we had two scans that put me at 13+5 which would mean I conceived closer to day 15. That's 3 days earlier than the positive opk. I was using the OPKs everyday and twice a day from about day 14.

It's not a major issue but I really thought the scan would put us a few days behind LMP and yet the baby is measuring ahead. I've been curious since the scan nearly two weeks ago so I thought I'd ask 😊

Babies grow at different rates this early so that would definitely account for the dates not adding up as measurements aren't exact for dating.
Dates and measurements during pregnancy should be taken with a grain of salt as they're just estimates. You have to account for human error and many other things; every pregnancy and every baby is different

I'm kind of in the same boat. My temps and opks indicated I ovulated on CD 16, so I thought I'd be a couple days behind LMP but my scan at 9 weeks showed I was a couple days ahead! So weird. I figured maybe it was slight user error as a student performed my ultrasound. I have my 12 week scan Friday and I'm so curious to see if baby is still ahead or what.

My temp taking was spotty around ovulation and I didn't take opks perfectly so I can't for sure rule out that I didn't ovulate earlier.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My temps and opks indicated I ovulated on CD 16, so I thought I'd be a couple days behind LMP but my scan at 9 weeks showed I was a couple days ahead! So weird. I figured maybe it was slight user error as a student performed my ultrasound. I have my 12 week scan Friday and I'm so curious to see if baby is still ahead or what.

My temp taking was spotty around ovulation and I didn't take opks perfectly so I can't for sure rule out that I didn't ovulate earlier.

I've had two scans now so it probably isn't an error from the sonographs. Maybe the baby is just growing a bit bigger than usual for this gestation for both of us.

My DS was conceived on CD 13 or CD14 (only days we DTD) even though I had longer cycles so I'm just curious if I ovulate earlier despite the positive opks. It may be something I look into in the future if we want a 3rd!

I've been told by the midwife, doctor and the sonographer that the earlier scans are more accurate - around 7 or 8 weeks. As a pp said babies grow at different rates. With dd I had a scan at 6 wweks to give me my dates. At the 13 week scan she measured 13+5. With this little one my scan at 8+1 gave me my dates which tied in with o and she measured 13+3 at our 13+1 scan .

I'd stick with your o dates :)

I don't trust opks anymore, they only detect a surge not ovulation.

I had 3 digital ones going at the same time (Don't ask amazon mix up!) and would get different results on all 3 with the same urine!

Did you temp or just opk?

With my last 2 kids I tracked ov using opks (normal and digi) temping and I definitely ovulated in accordance with opks. 12 week scan put them 6 days ahead based purely on measurements and at birth they were average sizes. Xx

With my last 2 kids I tracked ov using opks (normal and digi) temping and I definitely ovulated in accordance with opks. 12 week scan put them 6 days ahead based purely on measurements and at birth they were average sizes. Xx

That's interesting. We're they born near their due date or closer to 41 weeks? Mine came along at 37 weeks even though I expected him to go over based on my dates being behind the 2 scans.

I don't trust opks anymore, they only detect a surge not ovulation.

I had 3 digital ones going at the same time (Don't ask amazon mix up!) and would get different results on all 3 with the same urine!

Did you temp or just opk?

I didn't temp so I only had OPK to go by. That's so frustrating that you were getting different results! I hated seeing the empty round circle. Then worse still I had flashing smiley for 5 days before I had a solid smiley!

thisismyyear. Yeah I had a blank circle, flashing smiley and solid smiley from exact same urine!! Gave up using them after that!

One was 1 day late by their dates and 3 days early by mine. My last dd was an emcs at 38weeks due to reduced movement so i cant say with her. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"