• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Can saliva kill sperm

hunnybump

NTNP but soon to be TTC
Reaction score
I've heard from multiple websites that saliva can kill sperm just like any other lubricant like KY or something. My hubby uses his saliva down there alot when he first puts it in and when we change positions even if i'm really wet down there. It's like a habbit for him or something lol. Anyone else have a hubby that does this? I feel it's probably why i'm not getting preggers. I'm not really on him about too much because we are only NTNP right now but at the end of the year when we are TTC full on i'll be on him about it. Am i just crazy for thinking that saliva is a big factor?:shrug:

I've heard the same thing and that you should abstain from oral sex while you're in your fertile period but who knows.

I might have to look into this as it's something we do alot too...... :blush: should say have just have done. My B&B addiction is starting to take hold and I'm laying here in a post coital glow typing on my phone!! Hubby's fast asleep though so what he doesn't know and all that :)

Again, apologies for tmi!!

Anyway, I'll take a looksie too x

Member question: I was wondering if saliva does kill sperm?

Dr. Amos: There have been many studies done on what influences sperm survival. And most studies show that saliva can have a negative effect on sperm. If he has enough sperms then it's unlikely to make a major difference, but if he has a low sperm count then you need every single sperm.

Infertile couples frequently experience sexual dysfunction during their infertility investigations, including inadequate vaginal lubrication. In a attempt to look for a lubricant that would not impair sperm motility and activity, saliva was added to normal semen from healthy male donors. Saliva induced a "shaking movement" in 12% of the total sperm population incubated with high concentrations of saliva. This phenomenon did not occur with low concentrations of saliva, but sperm motility and progression significantly decreased. The results indicate that saliva has a deleterious effect on sperm motility and activity and should not be encouraged as a vaginal lubricant for the infertile couple.
sorry for the essay, but from what I can see, saliva is a no no and appears to be the worst out of all lubricant options!! So glad you raised this. Pre-seed is the best way to go from all accounts.

I think it is worst for couples who are TTC with a low sperm count, buy still, I'd like to think I'm giving all my hubby's swimmers a fair crack at it!

Thanks hunnybump and good luck for the end of the year x

I have read in many books and online that saliva does kill the sperm. Stay away from oral sex while TTC.

one of the ladies above me just pretty much said what i was going to say but in more detail. i mean...it can make a difference yes, but its certainly far from any sort of birth control. i have an idea for you...preseed is said to be good for concieving so you could use some of that right away so he doesnt think he needs to use his spit...just tell him you want to try lub instead.

Thanks for the info!! i have pretty heavy CM during my ovulation week i just need to crack down on him and tell him no we don't need that lol. And i don't know if he has low sperm count or not. I know when he was in highschool he was a big pothead but he hasn't done that since he was 17. But i heard that does lower sperm count. Lets hope not. Thanks for the responses. :)

To be honest, as long as he's not spitting 'inside' me, I refuse to abstain from oral sex! We both love receiving it, and doing it to the other person.

Let's be honest, in the victorian era etc, before 'science' noone knew any of this. I mean, do you really think the Queen said no to a bit of oral? And she's got kids!

I dont think the fact that your OH spits a bit affects your ability TTC! After all, the spit isn't travelling up your vagina in the same way sperm is! I think the spit is too small a quantity to worry about, so dont! Just enjoy NTNP! x

You see this is why i'm so happy that I bought an at home sperm test microscope thingy. I can't wait for it to get here so I can do sperm experiments. I'm going to test it with saliva and without saliva to see what happens.

You see this is why i'm so happy that I bought an at home sperm test microscope thingy. I can't wait for it to get here so I can do sperm experiments. I'm going to test it with saliva and without saliva to see what happens.

That's a good idea! I just received my Fertile Focus today! :happydance:

Awesome, Where did you get it from? I am anxiously awaiting it. I hope it gets here tomorrow because I really don't want to have to wait for the weekend. I wanted to use it tonight but it's not here yet :brat: I want it now.

Awesome, Where did you get it from? I am anxiously awaiting it. I hope it gets here tomorrow because I really don't want to have to wait for the weekend. I wanted to use it tonight but it's not here yet :brat: I want it now.
Hahaha. I bought it at early-pregnancy-tests.com and it came really fast. I am in Canada and things usually take forever. I ordered some pre-seed too, perfect timing!

Hahaha. I bought it at early-pregnancy-tests.com and it came really fast. I am in Canada and things usually take forever. I ordered some pre-seed too, perfect timing!

That's where I ordered mine from and I still haven't gotten it. I'm from Canada too, did you get it from Canada Post, or was it delivered? Have you used it yet?

About the saliva thing...just found this out today and am shocked! So off to the store I went to buy preseed! Expensive stuff for such a little tube. Oh well, FX!

Let me kno the results!! ;)

When i cort with my LO i rember the 2 times around ov (sorry if this is TMI) i gave him oral to get him going and we got our BFP that month so i dont think it dose.

@care76 o/t but your siggy made me tear up :(

That's where I ordered mine from and I still haven't gotten it. I'm from Canada too, did you get it from Canada Post, or was it delivered? Have you used it yet?
It came with our regular mail. I had ordered some of the 10 hcg hpt too and it all came in a medium sized bubble envelope in my mail box. I ordered it Aug 5 (I think at night though) and received it Aug 11, so it took just under a week. I am in Ontario, not sure if that makes a difference. Hope you get yours soon!

I used it yesterday and it had a bit of ferning, so cool! i haven't checked todays yet. I left mine a lot longer than it says though based on a rec from somebody else. I leave it 15-30 mins. I should be O'ing tomorrow, and so far this seems to be accurate.

@care76 o/t but your siggy made me tear up :(
I am sorry if it upset you. I haven't been able to look at pictures since they left and I need to start packing up their things soon so I thought making the sig could be good therapy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"